Levitation Control of AEROTRAIN: The Design and System of Experimental Manned Wing-in-Ground Vehicle ART003R
Yusuke Sugahara*1, Satoshi Kikuchi*2, Kazuhiro Kosuge*3,
and Yasuaki Kohama*4
*1School of Science and Engineering, Kokushikan University, 4-28-1 Setagaya, Tokyo 154-8515, Japan
*2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Gifu University, 1-1 Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
*3Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
*4New Industry Creation Hatchery Center, Tohoku University, 6-6-10 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
The goal of this study was the development of a control method for the levitation stabilization of an aerodynamically levitated train called “Aero-Train,” which is a high-speed and high-efficiency train system that levitates using the wing-in-ground effect acting on a U-shaped guideway. To achieve this goal, the authors have been developing the experimental manned vehicle ART003R. This paper provides an overview of ART003R and its control system. Moreover, a description is given of the results of preliminary levitation experiments using simple PD control, which confirmed the effectiveness of the developed control system hardware.
-  Y. Kohama, “An Application of ACV to Railway Transportation,” 25th Aircraft Symp., pp. 128-131, 1987 (in Japanese).
-  H. Tomaru and Y. Kohama, “Wind-Tunnel Investigation of Aerofoil for Wing in Ground Effect,” Nagare, Vol.10, pp. 47-60, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Kohama, “Mechanical Civilization Induced Earth Pollution Problem, and Aero-Train,” Trans. of the Japan Soc. of Mechanical Engineers, B, Vol.71, No.707, 1733-1737, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  I. Tani, M. Taima, and S. Simidu, “The Effect of Ground on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Monoplane Wing,” Rep. of the Aeronautical Res. Inst., Tokyo Imperial Univ. Vol.13, No.156, pp. 22-76, 1937.
-  R. G. Ollola, “Historical Review ofWIG Vehicles,” J. of Hydronautics, Vol.14, No.3, pp. 65-76, 1980.
-  R. K. Nangia, “Aerodynamic and hydrodynamic aspects of high speed water surface craft,” Aeronautical J., pp. 241-268, June/July, 1987.
-  G.W. Jorg, “History and Development of the ‘Aerodynamic Ground Effect craft’ (AGEC) with TandemWings,” Symp. Proc. Ram Wing and Ground-Effect Craft, Royal Aeronautical Soc., pp. 87-109, 1987.
-  K. V. Rozhdestvensky, “Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicles,” Progress in Aerospace Sci., Vol.42, pp. 211-283, 2006.
-  H. Tomaru and Y. Kohama, “Aerodynamics of Tandem-WIG in Guide Way,” Nagare, Vol.11, pp. 45-52, 1992 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kono, Y. Kohama, and N. Matsui, “Stability of Guide Way Type Wing in Ground Effect Vehicle,” Proc. of the Third JSME-KSME Fluids Engineering Conf., pp. 715-718, 1994.
-  Y. Kohama, T. Hikosaka, and H.Watanabe, “Experimental and Numerical Study of Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Ground Effect Transport System (GETS),” J. of the Japan Soc. for Aeronautical and Space Sci., Vol.47, No.541, pp. 79-87, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  M. R. Ahmed and Y. Kohama, “Experimental Investigation on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Tandem Wing Configuration in Close Ground Proximity,” JSME Int. J., B, Vol.42, No.4, pp. 612-618, 1999.
-  S. Kikuchi, F. Ota, T. Kato, T. Ishikawa, and Y. Kohama, “Development of a Stability Control Method for the Aero-Train,” J. of Fluid Sci. and Tech., Vol.2, No.1, pp. 226-237, 2007.
-  Y. Kohama, H, Watanabe, S. Kikuchi, F. Ota, and T. Ito, “Flight Dynamics and Development of the Stability Control Method of the Aero-Train. 1st Report, Flight Test by Pushing,” Trans. of the Japan Soc. of Mechanical Engineers, B, Vol.68, No.665, pp. 102-107, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Sugahara, Y. Ikeuchi, R. Suzuki, Y. Hirata, K. Kosuge, Y. Noguchi, S. Kikuchi, and Y. Kohama, “Levitation Control of AEROTRAIN: Development of Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle and Stabilization along Z Axis and about Roll and Pitch Axes,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 338-349, 2011.
-  Y. Sugahara, Y. Ikeuchi, R. Suzuki, Y. Hirata, K. Kosuge, Y. Noguchi, S. Kikuchi, and Y. Kohama, “Levitation Control of Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle along Z Axis and about Roll and Pitch Axes,” Proc. of the 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 8-13, 2011.
-  Y. Sugahara, S. Kikuchi, K. Kosuge, and Y. Kohama, “Levitation Control System of The Manned Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle ART003R,” Proc. of the 2011 Int. Symp. on Micro-Nano Mechatronics and Human Sci., pp. 479-481, 2011.
-  M. Sakamoto and H. Ueno, “Energy savings in transportation systems by weight reduction of their components – Research and development of non-combustible magnesium alloys,” Synthesiology, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 121-131, 2009.
-  L. V. Schmidt, “Introduction to Aircraft Flight Dynamics,” American Inst. of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1998.
-  T. Ishizuka, “Aerodynamic Characteristics of Aerotrain Wings and Drag Reduction by Separation Control,” Master thesis, Tohoku Univ., 2002 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Sugahara, N. Minagawa, K. Kosuge, and Y. Kohama, “Levitation Control of Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle Along Y and Z Axes and About Three Axes,” Proc. of the 2012 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 488-494, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.