Levitation Control of AEROTRAIN: The Design and System of Experimental Manned Wing-in-Ground Vehicle ART003R
Yusuke Sugahara*1, Satoshi Kikuchi*2, Kazuhiro Kosuge*3,
and Yasuaki Kohama*4
*1School of Science and Engineering, Kokushikan University, 4-28-1 Setagaya, Tokyo 154-8515, Japan
*2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Gifu University, 1-1 Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
*3Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
*4New Industry Creation Hatchery Center, Tohoku University, 6-6-10 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
The goal of this study was the development of a control method for the levitation stabilization of an aerodynamically levitated train called “Aero-Train,” which is a high-speed and high-efficiency train system that levitates using the wing-in-ground effect acting on a U-shaped guideway. To achieve this goal, the authors have been developing the experimental manned vehicle ART003R. This paper provides an overview of ART003R and its control system. Moreover, a description is given of the results of preliminary levitation experiments using simple PD control, which confirmed the effectiveness of the developed control system hardware.
and Yasuaki Kohama, “Levitation Control of AEROTRAIN: The Design and System of Experimental Manned Wing-in-Ground Vehicle ART003R,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.6, pp. 1097-1104, 2013.
-  Y. Kohama, “An Application of ACV to Railway Transportation,” 25th Aircraft Symp., pp. 128-131, 1987 (in Japanese).
-  H. Tomaru and Y. Kohama, “Wind-Tunnel Investigation of Aerofoil for Wing in Ground Effect,” Nagare, Vol.10, pp. 47-60, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Kohama, “Mechanical Civilization Induced Earth Pollution Problem, and Aero-Train,” Trans. of the Japan Soc. of Mechanical Engineers, B, Vol.71, No.707, 1733-1737, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  I. Tani, M. Taima, and S. Simidu, “The Effect of Ground on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Monoplane Wing,” Rep. of the Aeronautical Res. Inst., Tokyo Imperial Univ. Vol.13, No.156, pp. 22-76, 1937.
-  R. G. Ollola, “Historical Review ofWIG Vehicles,” J. of Hydronautics, Vol.14, No.3, pp. 65-76, 1980.
-  R. K. Nangia, “Aerodynamic and hydrodynamic aspects of high speed water surface craft,” Aeronautical J., pp. 241-268, June/July, 1987.
-  G.W. Jorg, “History and Development of the ‘Aerodynamic Ground Effect craft’ (AGEC) with TandemWings,” Symp. Proc. Ram Wing and Ground-Effect Craft, Royal Aeronautical Soc., pp. 87-109, 1987.
-  K. V. Rozhdestvensky, “Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicles,” Progress in Aerospace Sci., Vol.42, pp. 211-283, 2006.
-  H. Tomaru and Y. Kohama, “Aerodynamics of Tandem-WIG in Guide Way,” Nagare, Vol.11, pp. 45-52, 1992 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kono, Y. Kohama, and N. Matsui, “Stability of Guide Way Type Wing in Ground Effect Vehicle,” Proc. of the Third JSME-KSME Fluids Engineering Conf., pp. 715-718, 1994.
-  Y. Kohama, T. Hikosaka, and H.Watanabe, “Experimental and Numerical Study of Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Ground Effect Transport System (GETS),” J. of the Japan Soc. for Aeronautical and Space Sci., Vol.47, No.541, pp. 79-87, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  M. R. Ahmed and Y. Kohama, “Experimental Investigation on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Tandem Wing Configuration in Close Ground Proximity,” JSME Int. J., B, Vol.42, No.4, pp. 612-618, 1999.
-  S. Kikuchi, F. Ota, T. Kato, T. Ishikawa, and Y. Kohama, “Development of a Stability Control Method for the Aero-Train,” J. of Fluid Sci. and Tech., Vol.2, No.1, pp. 226-237, 2007.
-  Y. Kohama, H, Watanabe, S. Kikuchi, F. Ota, and T. Ito, “Flight Dynamics and Development of the Stability Control Method of the Aero-Train. 1st Report, Flight Test by Pushing,” Trans. of the Japan Soc. of Mechanical Engineers, B, Vol.68, No.665, pp. 102-107, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Sugahara, Y. Ikeuchi, R. Suzuki, Y. Hirata, K. Kosuge, Y. Noguchi, S. Kikuchi, and Y. Kohama, “Levitation Control of AEROTRAIN: Development of Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle and Stabilization along Z Axis and about Roll and Pitch Axes,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 338-349, 2011.
-  Y. Sugahara, Y. Ikeuchi, R. Suzuki, Y. Hirata, K. Kosuge, Y. Noguchi, S. Kikuchi, and Y. Kohama, “Levitation Control of Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle along Z Axis and about Roll and Pitch Axes,” Proc. of the 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 8-13, 2011.
-  Y. Sugahara, S. Kikuchi, K. Kosuge, and Y. Kohama, “Levitation Control System of The Manned Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle ART003R,” Proc. of the 2011 Int. Symp. on Micro-Nano Mechatronics and Human Sci., pp. 479-481, 2011.
-  M. Sakamoto and H. Ueno, “Energy savings in transportation systems by weight reduction of their components – Research and development of non-combustible magnesium alloys,” Synthesiology, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 121-131, 2009.
-  L. V. Schmidt, “Introduction to Aircraft Flight Dynamics,” American Inst. of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1998.
-  T. Ishizuka, “Aerodynamic Characteristics of Aerotrain Wings and Drag Reduction by Separation Control,” Master thesis, Tohoku Univ., 2002 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Sugahara, N. Minagawa, K. Kosuge, and Y. Kohama, “Levitation Control of Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle Along Y and Z Axes and About Three Axes,” Proc. of the 2012 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 488-494, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.