Development of Danger Avoidance Assist System for Electric Cart
Masanori Sato, Tetsuo Tomizawa, Shunsuke Kudoh,
and Takashi Suehiro
The University of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
Four-wheeled electric carts developed for the elderly have come to be widely used. Along with that, the number of accidents involving them is increasing due to carelessness and error of the drivers. Similar to ordinary cars, electric carts have mechanical features inner and outer track differences requiring that driver pay attention to their surroundings while driving. Aged drivers having a narrow field of vision may find it difficult to pay sufficient attention. In this study we developed an electric cart with a danger avoidance assist system that stops the cart safely before a collision even if the driver overlooks an obstacle. The assist system also helps prevent driver errors.
and Takashi Suehiro, “Development of Danger Avoidance Assist System for Electric Cart,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.6, pp. 1011-1019, 2013.
-  R. Kurozumi and T. Yamamoto, “Implementation of an Obstacle Avoidance Support System using Adaptive and Learning Schemes on Electric Wheelchairs,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1108-1113, Aug. 2005.
-  K. Kayama, I. Eguchi Yairi, and S. Igi, “Development of Semiautonomous Vehicle Supporting Elderly and Disabled People,” Information Processing Society of Japan, ITS, pp. 59-64, Sep. 2003. (in Japanese)
-  J. Borenstein and Y. Koren, “Real-time Obstacle Avoidance for Fast Mobile Robots in Cluttered Environments,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 572-577, May 1990.
-  D. A. Bell, J. Borenstein, S. P. Levine, Y. Korean, and L. Jaros, “An Assistive Navigation System for Wheelchairs Based upon Mobile Robot Obstacle Avoidance,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2018-2022, May 1994.
-  D. Kim, J. Kim, J. Bae, and Y. Soh, “Development of an Enhanced Obstacle Avoidance Algorithm for a Network-based Autonomous Mobile Robot,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation, pp. 102-105, May 2010.
-  J. Kim, J. Kim, and D. Kim, “Development of an Efficient Obstacle Avoidance Compensation Algorithm Considering a Network Delay for a Network-based Autonomous Mobile Robot,” Information Science and Applications (ICISA), 2011 Int. Conf., pp. 1-9, Apr. 2011.
-  G. Jianming, Z. Shouping, X. Jia, and Z. Shenghui, “Kalman Prediction Based VFH of Dynamic Obstacle Avoidance for Intelligent Vehicles,” Int. Conf. on Computer Application and System Modeling (ICCASM), pp. 1-9, 2010.
- [a] Electric Wheelchair Safety Promotion Association, “Electric Wheelchair Shipment/Cumulative Shipments,”
http://www.den-ankyo.org/society/transition.html (in Japanese)
- [b] Incorporated Administrative Agency National Institute of Technology and Evaluation, “About the Prevention of the Accident with Electric Cart,”
- [c] Consumer Affairs Agency, “Calling Attention to the Use of Electric Wheelchairs,”
Supporting Online Materials:
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.