Development of an Exercise Support System for the Elderly Which Uses a Small Humanoid Robot
Masataka Hirano*, Naohiko Hanajima*, Keigo Urita*,
Satoru Muto*, Yohei Muraoka**, and Makoto Ohata**
*Muroran Institute of Technology, 27-1 Mizumoto-cho, Muroran, Hokkaido 050-8585, Japan
**Steel Memorial Muroran Hospital, 1-45 Chiribetsu-cho, Muroran, Hokkaido 050-0076, Japan
-  H. Kobayashi et al., “Development of Muscle Suit and Application to Factory Laborers,” Proc. of the 2009 JSME Conf. Robotics and Mechatronics, pp. 1P1-E17(1)-(3), 2009.
-  X. Zhang et al., “Synchronization-based trajectory generation method for a robotic suit using neural oscillators for hip joint support in walking,” Mechatronics, Vol.22, Iss. 1, pp. 33-44, 2012.
-  K. Kiguchi et al., “Controller Adjustment of an Exoskeleton Robot for Shoulder Motion Assistance,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 245-255, 2004.
-  B. Lange et al., “Development and Evaluation of Low Cost Game-Based Balance Rehabilitation Tool Using theMicrosoft Kinect Sensor,” Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2011 Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE, pp. 1831-1834, 2011.
-  H. Zhou et al., “Human motion tracking for rehabilitation – A survey,” Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, Vol.3, Iss. 1, pp. 1-18, 2008.
-  A. P. L. Bo et al., “Joint Angle Estimation in Rehabilitation with Inertial Sensors and its Integration with Kinect,” Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2011 Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE, pp. 3479-3483, 2011.
-  J. Kusaka et al., “MovementMeasurement and Visualization for Rehabilitation Evaluation Support with Range Image Sensor,” Proc. of the 2013 JSME Conf. Robotics andMechatronics, pp. 1A1-M07(1)-(4), 2013.
-  Y. Oida et al., “Feasibility of a home gymnastics robot to facilitate regular exercise among middle – and old – aged women,” J. of Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 184-193, 2009.
-  H. Hirukawa, “preventive long-term care and rehabilitation gymnastics helper robot “Taizo”,” AIST TODAY, Vol.10, No.1, p. 21, 2010.
-  M. Hirano, “Promoting preventive care exercises using a small humanoid robot – comparison between a robot and 2D movie –,” RSJ2012, Vol.30, 2K3-7, 2012.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] National Institute of Population and Social Security Research, “Population projection for japan (March 2013)”
http://www.ipss.go.jp/pp-shicyoson/j/shicyoson13/t-page.asp [Accessed December 3, 2013]
-  [b] Overcoming Crises and Embarking on New Frontiers – The Strategy for Rebirth of Japan –
http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/npu/#2 [Accessed December 3, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.