Power Assist Control Calculated by a Human Model and Joint Angles for Walking Motion Using Pneumatic Actuators
Motonobu Sato*, Eiichi Yagi*, and Kazuo Sano**
*Faculty of System Engineering, Wakayama University, 930 Sakaedani, Wakayama-shi, Wakayama 640-8510, Japan
**Wakayama National College of Technology, 77 Nojima, Nadacho, Gobo-shi, Wakayama 644-0023, Japan
This paper describes a method for power assist control that calculates the joint torques necessary to support an assist suit wearer’s walking. We approximate the body using a multijoint rigid link model. Joint support torques are calculated based on this model using the hip, knee and ankle angles of the wearer. Results of experiments show the effectiveness of proposed control method.
-  S. Lee and Y. Sankai, “Minimizing the Physical Stress by Virtual Impedance of Exoskeleton Robot in Swing Motion with Power Assist system for Lower limb,” JSME J. Series C, Vol.71, No.705, pp. 1686-1695, 2005.
-  K. Kiguchi, K. Iwami, K.Watanabe, and T. Fukuda, “A Study of an EMG-Based Exoskeleton Robot for Human Shoulder Motion Support,” JSME Int. J. Series C, Vol.44, No.4, pp. 1133-1141, 2001.
-  S. Toyama and J. Yonetake, “Development of Powered Assisted Suit System,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.73, No.3, pp. 305-308, 2007.
-  T. Kusaka, T. Tanaka, H. Nara, T. Yamagishi, and S. Ogura, “Development of a Semi-active Type Power Assist Suit for 3-Dimensional Motion based on KEIROKA-Technology,” The 13th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf., 1N1-4, 2012.
-  S. Yoshinari, T. Tanaka, K. Takizawa, H. Nara, Y. Suzuki, D. Maeda, Y. Nakajima, and K. Kuwano, “The Influence of Long-Term Farm Work Using a KEIROKA Suit on the Physical Function,” The 13th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf., 1N2-5, 2012.
-  Y. Sato, J. He, H. Kobayashi, Y. Muramatsu, T. Hashimoto, and H. Kobayashi, “Development and Quantitative Performance Estimation of the Back SupportMuscle Suit,” JSME J. Series C, Vol.78, No.792, pp. 268-280, 2012.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, M. Takaiwa, K. Nakanishi, and H. Maruta, “Development of Wearable Master-Slave Device for Upper Limb Constructed with Pneumatic Rubber Muscle,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.28, No.2, pp. 208-214, 2010.
-  M. Ishii, K. Yamamoto, and K. Hyodo, “Stand Alone Wearable Power Assist Suit (Development and Availability),” JSME J. Series C, Vol.72, No.715, pp. 857-864, 2006.
-  D. Harada and E. Yagi, “Power Assist System for Elbow with a Pneumatic Actuator,” The 49th Japan Joint Automatic Control Conf., SU6-1-6, 2006.
-  E. Yagi, D. Harada, and M. Kobayashi, “Development of an Upper Limb Power Assist System Using Pneumatic Actuators for Farming Lift-up Motion,” JSME J. Series C, Vol.75, No.755, pp. 140-147, 2009.
-  S. Saito and E. Yagi, “Study on a Power Assist Control Using EMG Signal for Lift-up Motion,” The 28th Annual Conf. of The Robotics Society of Japan, 2J1-2, 2010.
-  T. Hayashi, K. Iwatsuki, and Y. Sankai, “Intention Estimation and Walking Assistance for Severe Paraplegic Patients Having Difficulty in Controlling Neuromuscular Activity,” JSME J. Series C, Vol.77, No.774, pp. 439-449, 2011.
-  N. Hata and Y. Hori, “Walking Stabilization Control for Wearable assist device,” IIC-05-11, 2005.
-  T. Nakamura, K. Saito, Z. Wang, and K. Kosuge, “Wearable Walking Support System Based on GRF and Human model,” JSME J. Series C, Vol.72, No.720, pp. 222-226, 2006.
-  D. A. Neumann, “KINESIOLOGY of the MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM,” translated by T. Shimada, S. Hirata, Ishiyaku Publishing Inc., 2005.
-  K. Kiguchi, “Powered Suit,” SICE J. of Control Measurement and System Integration, Vol.45, No.5, pp. 436-439, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.