A Survey Method for Identifying Real Support Needs of People with Early-Stage Dementia for Designing Assistive Technology
Hirotoshi Yamamoto*, Yasuyoshi Yokokohji**, and Hajime Takechi***
*Department of Mechanical Engineering and Science, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University, C3 Bldg., Kyotodaigakukatsura, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto 615-8540, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Kobe University, 1-1 Rokkodai-cho, Nada-ku, Kobe 657-8501, Japan
***Department of Geriatric Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Shogoin, Kawahara-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan
-  T. Kitwood, “Dementia Reconsidered: The Person Comes First,” London: Open University Press, 1998.
-  S. Benson and T. Kitwood, “PERSON-CENTRED CARE,” London: Hawker Publications, 2000.
-  M. L. Lee and A. K. Dey, “Lifelogging Memory Appliance for People with Episodic Memory Impairment,” Proc. of UbiComp’08, pp. 44-53, 2008.
-  T. Hamada, H. Okubo et al., “Robot therapy as for recreation for elderly people with dementia,” Proc. of 17th IEEE Int. Symposium in Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 174-179, 2008.
-  R. Orpwood, A. Sixsmith et al., “Designing technology to support quality of life of people with dementia,” Technology and Disability, Vol.19, pp. 103-112, 2007.
-  R. J. Davie, C. D. Nugen et al., “A user driven approach to develop a cognitive prosthetic to address the unmet needs of people with mild dementia,” Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 253-267, 2009.
-  N. J. Haak, “Do you hear what I mean? A lived experience of disrupted communication in mid-to-late stage Alzheimer’s disease,” Alzheimer’s Care Q, Vol.4, pp. 26-40, 2003.
-  L. Nygard, “How can we get access to the experiences of people with dementia? Suggestions and reflections,” Scand J. of Occupational Therapy, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 101-112, 2006.
-  T. Katsuno, “Dementia from the inside: how people with early-stage dementia evaluate their quality of life,” Ageing and Society, Vol.25, pp. 197-214, 2005.
-  E. Steeman, B. D. de Casterle et al.,“Living with early-stage dementia: a review of qualitative studies,” J. of Adv. Nurs., Vol.54, No.6, pp. 722-738, 2006.
-  H. G. van der Roest, F. J. M. Meiland et al., “Subjective needs of people with dementia: a review of the literature,” Int. Psychogeriatrics, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 559-592, 2007.
-  H. G. van der Roest, F. J. M. Meiland et al.,“What do communitydwelling people with dementia need? A survey of those who are known to care and welfare services,” Int. Psychogeriatrics, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 949-965, 2009.
-  M. P. Lawton, “Assessing the competence of older people,” New York: Human Science Press, pp. 122-143, 1972.
-  R. J. Mikulak, R. McDermott, and M. Beauregard, “The Basics of FMEA, 2nd Edition,” New York: Productivity Press, 2008.
-  A. Vogel, J. Stokholm et al., “Awareness of deficits in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease: do MCI patients have impaired insight?” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, Vol.17, pp. 181-187, 2004.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] Alzheimer’s Association, “Voices of Alzheimer’s Disease.”
http://www.alz.org/national/documents/report_townhall.pdf [Accessed November 26, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.