Force, Stiffness and Viscous Damping Control of a Stewart-Platform-Type Ankle-Foot Rehabilitation Assist Device with Pneumatic Actuator
Takayuki Onodera*, Eiji Suzuki*, Ming Ding**,
Hiroshi Takemura*, and Hiroshi Mizoguchi*
*Tokyo University of Science, 2641 Yamazaki, Noda, Chiba 278-8510, Japan
**RIKEN-TRI Collaboration Center for Human-Interactive Robot Research, Advanced Science Institute, RIKEN, 2271-130 Anagahora, Shimoshidami, Moriyama-ku, Nagoya 463-0003, Japan
-  M. Ding, J. Ueda, and T. Ogasawara, “Pinpointed Muscle Force Control Using a Power-assisting Device,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.27, No.9, pp. 1037-1045, 2009.
-  R. J. Farris, H. A. Quintero, T. J. Withrow, and M. Goldfarb, “Design and Simulation of a Joint-Coupled Orthosis for Regulating FES-Aided Gait,” 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2009), Kobe Int. Conf. Center, Kobe, Japan, pp. 1916-1922, May 12-17, 2009.
-  H. I. Krebs, J. Celestino.D. Williams, M. Ferraro, B. Volpe, and N. Hogan, “A wrist extension for MIT-MANUS,” Advances in Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 377-390, 2004.
-  S. Lee and Y. Sankai, “Power assist control for walking aid with hal-3 based on EMG and impedance adjustment around knee joint,” IEEE RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1499-1504, 2002.
-  A. Roy, H. I. Krebs, S. L. Patterson, T. N. Judkins, I. Khanna, L.W. Forrester, R. M. Macko, and N. Hogan, “Measurement of human ankle stiffness using the anklebot,” The 2007 IEEE 10th Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 358-363, June 12-15, 2007.
-  D. G. Wright, S. M. Desai, and W. H. Henderson, “Action of the subtalar and ankle-joint complex during the stance phase of walking,” J. of Bone and Joint Surgery, No.46, pp. 361-382, 1964.
-  A. Lundberg, O. K. Svensson, G. Nemeth, and G. Selvik, “The axis of rotation of the ankle joint,” The J. of Bone and Joint Surgery, No.71(B), pp. 94-99, 1989.
-  J. H. Hicks, “The mechanics of the foot: I. the joints,” J. of Anatomy, No.87, pp. 345-357, 1953.
-  M. Takaiwa, T. Noritsugu, N. Ito, and D. Sasaki, “Wrist rehabilitation device using pneumatic parallel Manipulator based on EMG signal,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 472-477, 2011.
-  D. Stewart, “A Platform with Six Degrees of Freedom,” Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.180, No.15, pp. 371-386, 1966.
-  T. Onodera, M. Ding, H. Takemura, and H. Mizoguchi, “Posture Control Using New Ankle-Foot Assist Device with Stewart Platform Type Parallel Link Mechanisms,” 2012 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO2012), Guangzhou, China, pp. 1385-1390, Dec. 10-14, 2012.
-  T. Onodera, M. Ding, H. Takemura, and H. Mizoguchi, “Design and Development of Stewart Platform-Type Assist Device For Ankle-Foot Rehabilitation,” The 2012 Int. Conf. on Innovative Engineering Systems (ICIES 2012), pp. 1-6, Dec. 7-9, 2012.
-  T. Ohtani, “Oral History in Instrument and Control Engineering – Dr. Toshiyuki Kitamori; I-PD Control and its Design Method,” J. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.47, No.11, pp. 968-969, 2008.
-  S. Lee, J. Song,W. Choi, and D Hong, “Position control of a Stewart platform using inverse dynamics control with approximate dynamics,” Mechatronics, Vol.13, No.6, pp. 605-619, July 2003.
-  K. Kosuge, K. Takeo, T. Fukuda, H. Kitayama, N. Takeuchi, and H. Murakami, “Force control of parallel link manipulator with hydraulic actuators,” Proc. of the 1996 IEEE Intemational Conf. on Robotics and Automation Minneapolis, Vol.1, pp. 305-310, April 1996.
-  X. Shen and M. Goldfarb, “Simultaneous Force and Stiffness Control of a Pneumatic Actuator,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.129, No.4, pp. 425-434, 2007.
-  M. Ding, T. Onodera, R. Ikeura, H. Takemura, and H. Mizoguchi, “Position, Force and Stiffness Control of a Stewart-Platform-Type Ankle-Foot Assist Device,” 2012 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conf., Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Oct. 17-19, 2012.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] Policy Planning Division, Department of Health and Welfare for Persons with Disabilities, Social Welfare and War Victims’ Relief Bureau, Ministry of health labour and welfare japan, “Survey on persons with physical disability,” Ministry of health labour and welfare Japan.
http://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/saikin/hw/shintai/06/dl/01_0001.pdf [Accessed January 15, 2013]
-  [b] World Stroke Organization,
http://www.world-stroke.org [Accessed March 1, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.