Enhancement of Plantar Tactile Sensitivity by Wearable Stabilization Device Based on Stochastic Resonance for Fall Prevention
Satoshi Kudoh, Akira Obara, Yuu Satoh,
Ming Ding, Hiroshi Mizoguchi, and Hiroshi Takemura
Tokyo University of Science, 2641 Yamazaki, Noda, Chiba 278-8510, Japan
-  T. Furuna and H. Shimada, “A Walk and Fall of Elderly Person: from Epidemiological Investigation,” J. of the Society of Biomechanisms, Vol.30, No.3, pp. 132-137, 2006.
-  H. Asai, I. Nara, K. Tachino, K. Fujiwara, and M. Yamashita, “The Effect of Cooled Soles by Cold Air on Standing Postural Control and Extent of Valid Supporting Base,” J. of the Japanese Physical Therapy Association, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 19-25, 1991.
-  S. Yokoyama, K. Takayanagi, N. Matsusaka, S. Ogi, M. Kanegae, and H. Higashi, “The Effect of the Plantar Sensation in Control during Standing and Walking,” J. of the Japanese Physical Therapy Association, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 125-128, 1995.
-  M. Sakita, S. Takasugi, I. Kawano, and S. Kumagai, “Effects of Displacements of Center of Gravity and Center of Pressure on Standing Postural Responses to Platform Translations after Cooling of Soles and Crural Muscles,” Rigakuryoho Kagaku, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 449-455, 2007.
-  Y. Sankai, “HAL: Hybrid Assistive Limb Based on Cybernics,” Robotics Research Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics, Vol.66, pp. 25-34, 2011.
-  J. Ashihara, Y. Hiki, H. Kudoh, and T. Noda, “Walking assist device with bodyweight support system,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4073-4079, 2009.
-  T. Bock, T. Linner, and W. Ikeda, “Exoskeleton and Humanoid Robotic Technology in Construction and Built Environment,” The Future of Humanoid Robots – Research and Applications, Dr. Riadh Zaier (Ed.), InTech, pp. 111-146, 2012.
-  M. D. McDonnel and D. Abbott, “What Is Stochastic Resonance? Definitions, Misconceptions, Debates, and Its Relevance to Biology,” PLoS Computational Biology, Vol.5, Issue 5, 2009.
-  S. Ishiwata and K. Koizumi, “Phenomena andMathematical Theory of Nonlinear Waves and Nonlinear Dynamical Systems,” Reports of RIAM Symposium, No.17ME-S2, Article No.09, 2005.
-  J. J. Collins, A. A. Priplata, D. C. Gravelle, J. Niemi, J. Harry, and L. A. Lipsitz, “Noise-Enhanced Human Sensorimotor Function,” IEEE Engineering In Medicine and Biology Magazine, Vol.22, Issue 2, pp. 76-83, 2003.
-  J. M. Hijmans, J. H. B. Geertzen, W. Zijlstra, A. L. Hof, and K. Postema, “Effects of vibrating insoles on standing balance in diabetic neuropathy,” J. of Rehabilitation Research & Development, Vol.45, No.9, pp. 1441-1450, 2008.
-  H. G. Kang, A. M. Galia, A. A. Priplata, O. V. Starobinets, S. E. D’Andrea, J. J. Collins, and L. A. Lipsitz, “Gait Variability Is Reduced by Sub-threshold Vibrations to The Feet,” North American Congress on Biomechanics, No.270, 2008.
-  S. D. Perry, A. Radtke, W. E. McIlroy, G. R. Fernie, and B. E. Maki, “Efficacy and Effectiveness of a Balance-Enhancing Insole,” J. of Gerontology: MEDICAL SCIENCES, Vol.63A, No.6, pp. 595-602, 2008.
-  J. M. Hijmans, J. H. B. Geertzen, B. Schokker, and K. Postema, “Development of Vibrating Insoles,” Int. J. of Rehabilitation Research, Vol.30, No.4, pp. 343-345, 2007.
-  Y. Matsushima and A. Saito, “Validity of Berg Balance Scale Items for Assessing Elderly People,” J. of the Japanese Physical Therapy Association, Vol.37, No.6, pp. 403-409, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  T. Nakatani, S. Haga, N. Okamoto, and N. Kurumatani, “Validity of the Timed up and go Test in Community-dwelling Elderly People,” J. of Japan Society of Exercise and Sports Physiology, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 1-10, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  H. Shimada, S. Obuchi, M. Sugiura, H. Yoshida, K. Hongyon, Y. Yoshida, S. Nishizawa, T. Suzuki, and T. Furuna, “Timed Up & Go Test is a Useful Assessment Tool for Community Health in Elderly People,” J. of the Japanese Physical Therapy Association, Vol.33, No.3, pp. 105-111, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  A. Shumway-Cook and M. Woollacott, “Motor control: theory and practical applications,” Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, pp. 322-324, 1995.
-  N. Harada and M. J. Griffin, “Factors influencing vibration sense thresholds used to assess occupational exposures to hand transmitted vibration,” British J. of Industrial Medicine, Vol.48, pp. 185-192, 1991.
-  G. A. Gescheider, S. J. Bolanowski, J. V. Pope, and R. T. Verrillo, “A four-channel analysis of the tactile sensitivity of the fingertip: frequency selectivity, spatial summation, and temporal summation,” Somatosensory & Motor Research, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 114-124, 2002.
-  D. C. Gravelle, C. A. Laughton, N. T. Dhruv, K. D. Katdare, J. B. Niemi, L. A. Lipsitz, and J. J. Collins, “Noise-enhanced balance control in older adults,” Neuroreport, Vol.13,No.15, pp. 1853-1856, 2002.
-  Y. Kurita, M. Shinohara, and J. Ueda, “Wearable Sensorimotor Enhancer for Fingertip using Stochastic Resonance Effect,” IEEE Trans. on Human-Machine Systems, Vol.43, Issue 3, pp. 333-337, 2013.
-  S. Suzuki, A. Chaki, K. Sekiguchi, M. Ding, H. Takemura, and H. Mizoguchi, “Effect of Reduced Plantar Sensation on Human Gaits on Various Terrains,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 258-265, 2011.
-  J. K. Richardson, S. B. Thies, T. K. DeMott, and J. A. Ashton-Miller, “A Comparison of Gait Characteristics Between Older Women with and Without Peripheral Neuropathy in Standard and Challenging Environments,” JAGS SEPTEMBER, Vol.52, No.9, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.