Use of a Deformable Tensegrity Structure as an Underwater Robot Body
Mizuho Shibata*, Takahiro Miyamura*, Norimitsu Sakagami**,
and Shigeharu Miyata*
*Department of Robotics, Kinki University, 1 Takaya Umenobe, Higashi-Hiroshima City, Hiroshima 739-2116, Japan
**Department of Navigation and Ocean Engineering, Tokai University, 3-20-1 Orido, Shimizu-ku, Shizuoka 424-8610, Japan
The locomotion of underwater robots depends on their shapes. Underwater robots for inspecting undersea structures must not only move long distances but must rotate during inspection. We propose using an underwater robot that moves translationally and rotationally by altering its shape. In this paper, we introduce a deformable twisted trigonal prism tensegrity structure as a robot and evaluate its use as an underwater robot through several simplified models and experimental results.
and Shigeharu Miyata, “Use of a Deformable Tensegrity Structure as an Underwater Robot Body,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.5, pp. 804-811, 2013.
-  D. Yoerger and J. Slotine, “Robust trajectory control of underwater vehicles,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.10, Issue 4, pp. 462-470, 1985.
-  S. Takagawa, K. Takahashi, T. Sano, M. Kyo, Y. Mori, and T. Nakanishi, “6,500m Deep Manned Research Submersible, “Shinkai 6500” System,” in Proc. of OCEANS, pp. 741-746, 1989.
-  T. J. Tarn, G. A. Shoults, and S. P. Yang, “A Dynamic Model of an Underwater Vehicle with a Robotic Manipulator using Kane’s Method,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.3, pp. 269-283, 1996.
-  K. N. Leabourne and S. M. Rock, “Model development of an underwater manipulator for coordinated arm-vehicle control,” Proc. of OCEANS ’98 Conf., pp. 941-946, 1998.
-  S. Hirose, “Biologically inspired robots: snake-like locomotors and manipulators,” Oxford University Press, 1993.
-  K. Togawa, M. Mori, and S. Hirose, “Study on Threedimensional Active Cord Mechanism: Development of ACMR2,” Proc. of the 2000 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2242-2247, 2000.
-  I. Yamamoto and Y. Terada, “Robotic fish and its Technology,” Proc. SICE Annual Conf., 2003.
-  Z. Chunlin and K. H. Low, “Design and Locomotion Control of a Biomimetic Underwater Vehicle With Fin Propulsion,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.17, Issue 1, pp. 25-35, 2012.
-  C. C. Eriksen, T. J. Osse, R. D. Light, T. Wen, T. W. Lehman, P. L. Sabin, J. W. Ballard, and A. M. Chiodi, “Seaglider: a longrange autonomous underwater vehicle for oceanographic research,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.26, Issue 4, pp. 424-436, 2001.
-  J. Sherman, R. E. Davis, W. B. Owens, and J. Valdes, “The autonomous underwater glider “Spray”,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.26, Issue 4, pp. 437-446, 2001.
-  D. C. Webb, P. J. Simonetti, and C. P. Jones, “SLOCUM: an underwater glider propelled by environmental energy,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.26, Issue 4, pp. 447-452, 2001.
-  M. Doniec, I. Vasilescu, C. Detweiler, and D. Rus, “Complete SE3 Underwater Robot Control with Arbitrary Thruster Configurations,” Proc. of 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 5295-5301, 2010.
-  N. Sakagami, M. Shibata, S. Kawamura, T. Inoue, H. Onishi, and S.Murakami, “An Attitude Control System for Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1761-1767, 2010.
-  R. Motro, “Tensegrity,” Kogan Page, 2003.
-  J. Y. Zhang, M. Ohsaki, “Optimization Methods for Force and Shape Design of Tensegrity Structures,” Proc. of 7th World Congresses of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, pp. 40-49, 2007.
-  J. B. Aldrich, R. E. Skelton, and K. Kreutz-Delgado, “Control Synthesis for a Class of Light and Agile Robotic Tensegrity Structures,” Proc. of the American Control Conf., pp. 5245-5251, 2003.
-  C. Paul, F. J. Valero-Cuevas, and H. Lipson, “Design and Control of Tensegrity Robots for Locomotion,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.22, No.5, pp. 944-957, 2006.
-  T. Bliss, T. Iwasaki, and H. Bart-Smith, “Central Pattern Generator Control of a Tensegrity Swimmer,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.18, Issue 2, pp. 586-597, 2013.
-  M. Shibata, F. Saijyo, and S. Hirai, “Crawling by body deformation of tensegrity structure robots,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4375-4380, 2009.
-  O. M. Curet, N. A. Patankar, G. V. Lauder, and M. A. MacIver, “Mechanical properties of a bio-inspired robotic knifefish with an undulatory propulsor,” Bioinsp. Biomim., Vol.6, 026004, 2011.
-  J. Shimoya, K. Maeda, E. Yoshida, and N. Kato, “Estimation of Swimming and Walking Performances of a Robotic Turtle,” Proc. of Int. Offshore and Polar Eng. Conf. (ISOPE), pp. 215-222, 2011.
- [a] kennethsnelson.net.
http://www.kennethsnelson.net/ [Accessed March 5, 2013]
Supporting Online Materials:
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.