Use of a Deformable Tensegrity Structure as an Underwater Robot Body
Mizuho Shibata*, Takahiro Miyamura*, Norimitsu Sakagami**,
and Shigeharu Miyata*
*Department of Robotics, Kinki University, 1 Takaya Umenobe, Higashi-Hiroshima City, Hiroshima 739-2116, Japan
**Department of Navigation and Ocean Engineering, Tokai University, 3-20-1 Orido, Shimizu-ku, Shizuoka 424-8610, Japan
-  D. Yoerger and J. Slotine, “Robust trajectory control of underwater vehicles,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.10, Issue 4, pp. 462-470, 1985.
-  S. Takagawa, K. Takahashi, T. Sano, M. Kyo, Y. Mori, and T. Nakanishi, “6,500m Deep Manned Research Submersible, “Shinkai 6500” System,” in Proc. of OCEANS, pp. 741-746, 1989.
-  T. J. Tarn, G. A. Shoults, and S. P. Yang, “A Dynamic Model of an Underwater Vehicle with a Robotic Manipulator using Kane’s Method,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.3, pp. 269-283, 1996.
-  K. N. Leabourne and S. M. Rock, “Model development of an underwater manipulator for coordinated arm-vehicle control,” Proc. of OCEANS ’98 Conf., pp. 941-946, 1998.
-  S. Hirose, “Biologically inspired robots: snake-like locomotors and manipulators,” Oxford University Press, 1993.
-  K. Togawa, M. Mori, and S. Hirose, “Study on Threedimensional Active Cord Mechanism: Development of ACMR2,” Proc. of the 2000 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2242-2247, 2000.
-  I. Yamamoto and Y. Terada, “Robotic fish and its Technology,” Proc. SICE Annual Conf., 2003.
-  Z. Chunlin and K. H. Low, “Design and Locomotion Control of a Biomimetic Underwater Vehicle With Fin Propulsion,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.17, Issue 1, pp. 25-35, 2012.
-  C. C. Eriksen, T. J. Osse, R. D. Light, T. Wen, T. W. Lehman, P. L. Sabin, J. W. Ballard, and A. M. Chiodi, “Seaglider: a longrange autonomous underwater vehicle for oceanographic research,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.26, Issue 4, pp. 424-436, 2001.
-  J. Sherman, R. E. Davis, W. B. Owens, and J. Valdes, “The autonomous underwater glider “Spray”,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.26, Issue 4, pp. 437-446, 2001.
-  D. C. Webb, P. J. Simonetti, and C. P. Jones, “SLOCUM: an underwater glider propelled by environmental energy,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.26, Issue 4, pp. 447-452, 2001.
-  M. Doniec, I. Vasilescu, C. Detweiler, and D. Rus, “Complete SE3 Underwater Robot Control with Arbitrary Thruster Configurations,” Proc. of 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 5295-5301, 2010.
-  N. Sakagami, M. Shibata, S. Kawamura, T. Inoue, H. Onishi, and S.Murakami, “An Attitude Control System for Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1761-1767, 2010.
-  R. Motro, “Tensegrity,” Kogan Page, 2003.
-  J. Y. Zhang, M. Ohsaki, “Optimization Methods for Force and Shape Design of Tensegrity Structures,” Proc. of 7th World Congresses of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, pp. 40-49, 2007.
-  J. B. Aldrich, R. E. Skelton, and K. Kreutz-Delgado, “Control Synthesis for a Class of Light and Agile Robotic Tensegrity Structures,” Proc. of the American Control Conf., pp. 5245-5251, 2003.
-  C. Paul, F. J. Valero-Cuevas, and H. Lipson, “Design and Control of Tensegrity Robots for Locomotion,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.22, No.5, pp. 944-957, 2006.
-  T. Bliss, T. Iwasaki, and H. Bart-Smith, “Central Pattern Generator Control of a Tensegrity Swimmer,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.18, Issue 2, pp. 586-597, 2013.
-  M. Shibata, F. Saijyo, and S. Hirai, “Crawling by body deformation of tensegrity structure robots,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4375-4380, 2009.
-  O. M. Curet, N. A. Patankar, G. V. Lauder, and M. A. MacIver, “Mechanical properties of a bio-inspired robotic knifefish with an undulatory propulsor,” Bioinsp. Biomim., Vol.6, 026004, 2011.
-  J. Shimoya, K. Maeda, E. Yoshida, and N. Kato, “Estimation of Swimming and Walking Performances of a Robotic Turtle,” Proc. of Int. Offshore and Polar Eng. Conf. (ISOPE), pp. 215-222, 2011.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] kennethsnelson.net.
http://www.kennethsnelson.net/ [Accessed March 5, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.