Experimental Verification of Lifting Force of Underwater Robot with Thrusters Using Passive Posture Maintenance
Fumiaki Takemura*1, Shota Futenma*2, Kuniaki Kawabata*3,
and Shinichi Sagara*4
*1Department of Mechanical System Engineering, Okinawa National College of Technology, 905 Henoko, Nago-shi, Okinawa 905-2192, Japan
*2Advanced Course, Okinawa National College of Technology, 905 Henoko, Nago-shi, Okinawa 905-2192, Japan
*3RIKEN (The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research), 2-1 Hirosawa, Wako-shi, Saitama 351-0198, Japan
*4Kyushu Institute of Technology, 1-1 Sensui-cho, Tobata-ku, Kitakyushu-shi, Fukuoka 804-8550, Japan
An underwater robot is developed that can be used for environmental protection work in the sea near Okinawa (e.g., removing crown-of-thorns starfish). When a submerged object is raised with the aid of an underwater robot, the conventional method of using fixed thrusters presents difficulties in raising the object straight upward because of the change in the robot’s attitude. Therefore, we propose “thrusters that employ a passive posture maintenance mechanism.” By using this mechanism, the vertical thrusters are able to maintain an upward posture, and the underwater robot is able to raise a submerged object straight upward relatively easily. Moreover, the attitude stability of an underwater robot and the work efficiency of its thrusters are important in water. Hence, we examine the attitude stability and the efficiency of the lifting force of an underwater robot using our proposed passive fixed mechanism for thrusters. We describe the design and fabrication of the proposedmechanismand experimentally verify the effectiveness of our proposed mechanism.
and Shinichi Sagara, “Experimental Verification of Lifting Force of Underwater Robot with Thrusters Using Passive Posture Maintenance,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.5, pp. 812-819, 2013.
-  Ministry of the Environment, “Annual Report on the Environment, the Sound Material-Cycle Society and the Biodiversity in Japan 2012,” pp. 76-77, 2012.
-  T. Motokawa, “Story of coral and coral reef,” Chuokoron-Shinsha, pp. 228-246, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  S. Sagara, T. Yatoh, and T. Shimozawa, “Digital RAC with a disturbance observer for underwater vehicle-manipulator systems,” J. of Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 270-274, 2010.
-  K. Kawano, T. Shimozawa, and S. Sagara, “A master-slave control system for a semi-autonomous underwater vehicle-manipulator system,” J. of Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 465-468, 2012.
-  F. Takemura and R. T. Shiroku, “Development of the Actuator Concentration Type Removable Underwater Manipulator,” The 11th Int. Conf. on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV2010), pp. 2124-2128, 2010.
-  F. Takemura S. Futenma, R. T. Shiroku, K. Kawabata, and S. Sagara, “Motion Verification of an Underwater Robot Using the Passive Posture Maintenance Mechanism for Thrusters,” The 2012 Int. Symposium on Nonlinear Theory and its Applications (NOLTA2012), pp. 183-186, 2012.
-  N. Sakagami, M. Shibata, H. Hashizume, Y. Hagiwara, K. Ishimaru, T. Ueda, T. Saitou, K. Fujita, S. Kawamura, T. Inoue, H. Onishi, and S. Murakami, “Development of a Human-Sized ROV with Dual-Arm,” Proc. of MTS/IEEE Int. Conf. on OCEANS, 100116-005, 2010.
-  T. Ura and S. Takagawa, “Overview of Subsea Robot,” Seizandoshoten, pp. 265-268, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  L. Hsu, R. R. Costa, F. C. Lizarralde, J. P. V. S. da Cunha, J. L. Scieszko, A. V. Romanov, D. W. Junior, and A. C. M. Sant’Anna, “Underwater Vehicle Dynamic Positioning Based on a Passive Arm Measurement system,” 2ndWorkshop on Mobile Robots for Subsea Environments, pp. 1-10, 1994.
-  G. B. Chung, K. S. Eom, B.-J. Yi, I. H. Suh, S.-R. Oh, and Y. J. Cho, “Disturbance Observer-Based Robust Control for Underwater Robotic Systems with Passive Joints,” Proc. of the 2000 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 1775-1780, 2000.
-  N. Nejatbakhsh and K. Kosuge, “Loose Guide for Passive Omnidirectional Mobility Aid,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 511-518, 2006.
-  R. Tinos,M. H. Terra, and J. Y. Ishihara, “Motion and Force Control of Cooperative Robotic Manipulators With Passive Joints,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 725-734, 2006.
-  G. Lan, S. Ma, K. Inoue, and Y. Hamamatsu, “Development of a novel crawler mechanism with polymorphic locomotion,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.21, No.3-4, pp. 421-440, 2007.
-  H. Sato, K. Kawabata, T. Suzuki, H. Kaetsu, Y. Hada, and Y. Tobe, “Information Gathering by wireless camera node with Passive Pendulum Mechanism,” Int. Conf. on Control, Automation and Systems, pp. 137-140, 2008.
-  K. Hashimoto, Y. Sugahara, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Swizzle Movement for Biped Walking Robot Having Passive Wheels,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 413-419, 2008.
-  H. Abdellatif and B. Heimann, “New Experimental Results on the Compensation of Static Friction in Passive Joints of Robotic Manipulators,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 1005-1010, 2010.
-  K. Kono and N. Saga, “Development of a Passive Turn Type Skiing Robot with Variable Height Mechanism of Gravitational Center,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.2, pp. 372-378, 2012.
-  T. Aoyama, Y. Hasegawa, K. Sekiyama, and T. Fukuda, “Stabilizing and Direction Control of Efficient 3-D Biped Walking Based on PDAC,” IEEE Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.6, pp. 712-718, 2009.
-  K. Suzumori and F. Saito, “Micro Rubber Structures for Passive Walking,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 167-172, 2010.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.