A Stereo Vision System for Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems – Proposal of a Novel Concept Using Pan-Tilt-Slide Cameras –
Shinichi Sagara*, Radzi Bin Ambar*, and Fumiaki Takemura**
*Department of Mechanical and Control Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, Tobata, Kitakyushu 804-8550, Japan
**Okinawa National College of Technology, 905 Henoko, Nago 905-2192, Japan
-  J. Yuh (Ed), “Underwater Robotic Vehicles: Design and Control,” pp. 1-12, TSI Press, 1995.
-  H. Maheshi, J. Yuh, and R. Lakshmi, “A Coordinated Control of an Underwater Vehicle and Robotic Manipulator,” J. of Robotic Systems, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 339-370, 1991.
-  T. W. McLain, S. M. Rock, and M. J. Lee, “Experiments in the Coordinated Control of an Underwater Arm/Vehicle System,” Autonomous Robots 3, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 213-232, 1996.
-  T. J. Tarn, G. A. Shoults, and S. P. Yang, “A Dynamic Model of an Underwater Vehicle with a Robotic Manipulator,” Autonomous Robots 3, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 269-283, 1996.
-  N. Sarkar, J. Yuh, and T. K. Podder, “Adaptive Control of Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems Subject to Joint Limits,” Proc. of the 1999 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 142-147, 1999.
-  G. Antonelli, F. Caccavale, S. Chiaverini, and L. Villani, “Tracking Control for Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems with Velocity Estimation,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 399-413, 2000.
-  Y. Cui and J. Yuh, “A unified adaptive force control of underwater vehicle-manipulator systems (UVMS),” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 553-558, 2003.
-  B. Xu, S. R. Pandian, N. Sakagami, and F. Petry, “Neuro-Fuzzy Control of Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems,” J. Franklin Institute, Vol.349, pp. 1125-1138, 2012.
-  S.Mohan and J. Kim, “Indirect Adaptive Control of an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator System for Underwater Manipulation Tasks,” Ocean Engineering, Vol.54, pp. 233-243, 2012.
-  J. Yuh, S. K. Choi, C. Ikehara, G. H. Kim, G. McMurty, M. Ghasemi-Nejhad, N. Sarkar, and K. Sugikara, “Design of a Semi-Autonomous Underwater Vehicle for Intervention Missions (SAUVIM),” Proc. of the 1998 Int. Symposium on Underwater Technology, pp. 63-68, 1998.
-  N. Sakagami et al., “Development of a Human-Sized ROV with Dual-Arm,” Proc. MTS/IEEE OCEANS 2010, 2010.
-  K. Ishizu, N. Sakagami, K. Ishimaru, M. Shibata, H. Onishi, S. Murakami, and S. Kawamura, “Ship Hull Inspection Using a Small Underwater Robot with a Mechanical Contact Mechanism,” Proc. OCEANS 2012-Yeosu, pp. 1-6, 2012.
-  R. Li, H. Li, W. Zou, R. G. Smith, and T. A. Curran, “Quantitative photogrammetric analysis of digital underwater video imagery,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 364-375, 1997.
-  H. T. Liu, “A Video-Based Stereoscopic Imaging and Measurement System (SIMS) for Undersea Applications,” Proc. of MTS/IEEE OCEANS 2001, Vol.1, pp. 275-286, 2001.
-  S. Ishibashi, “The stereo vision system for an underwater vehicle,” Proc. OCEANS 2009-EUROPE, pp. 1-6, 2009.
-  T. Naruse, T. Kaneko, A. Yamashita, and H. Asama, “3-D measurement of objects inwater using fish-eye stereo camera,” Proc. 19th IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 2773-2776, 2012.
-  A. Yamashita, Y. Shirane, and T. Kaneko, “Monocular underwater stereo – 3D measurement using difference of appearance depending on optical paths –,” Proc. 2010 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 3652-3657, 2010.
-  S. Birchfield and C. Tomasi, “Depth discontinuities by pixel-topixel stereo,” Proc. of the 6th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 1073-1080, 1998.
-  R. Hartley and A. Zisserman, “Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision (Second Edition),” Cambridge University Press, 2003.
-  T. Nishida, S. Kurogi, K. Yamanaka, W. Kogushi, and Y. Arimura, “Development of Pilot Assistance System with Stereo Vision for Robot Manipulation,” Xiong Zhihui (Ed.), Computer Vision, pp. 282-302, In-Tech, 2008.
-  K. Kawano, T. Shimozawa, and S. Sagara, “A Master-Slave Control System for a Semi-Autonomous Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator System,” Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.16, pp. 465-468, Springer, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.