A Stereo Vision System for Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems – Proposal of a Novel Concept Using Pan-Tilt-Slide Cameras –
Shinichi Sagara*, Radzi Bin Ambar*, and Fumiaki Takemura**
*Department of Mechanical and Control Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, Tobata, Kitakyushu 804-8550, Japan
**Okinawa National College of Technology, 905 Henoko, Nago 905-2192, Japan
Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems (UVMS) are expected to be used in various tasks in underwater environments. The manipulators of the UVMS are designed to execute tasks such as handling and catching objects. It is therefore necessary to equip UVMS with sensors that observe and measure the position of target objects. Stereo vision systems are one type of such sensors. We propose a stereo vision system for UVMS consisting of 2 mobile cameras that pan, tilt and slide individually using motors. This vision system is installed inside a waterproof cylindrical container that enables it to track a target object in underwater environments. Stereo vision system concept and mechanism are proposed, and the effectiveness of the proposed system is shown by experiments using a vision system prototype.
-  J. Yuh (Ed), “Underwater Robotic Vehicles: Design and Control,” pp. 1-12, TSI Press, 1995.
-  H. Maheshi, J. Yuh, and R. Lakshmi, “A Coordinated Control of an Underwater Vehicle and Robotic Manipulator,” J. of Robotic Systems, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 339-370, 1991.
-  T. W. McLain, S. M. Rock, and M. J. Lee, “Experiments in the Coordinated Control of an Underwater Arm/Vehicle System,” Autonomous Robots 3, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 213-232, 1996.
-  T. J. Tarn, G. A. Shoults, and S. P. Yang, “A Dynamic Model of an Underwater Vehicle with a Robotic Manipulator,” Autonomous Robots 3, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 269-283, 1996.
-  N. Sarkar, J. Yuh, and T. K. Podder, “Adaptive Control of Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems Subject to Joint Limits,” Proc. of the 1999 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 142-147, 1999.
-  G. Antonelli, F. Caccavale, S. Chiaverini, and L. Villani, “Tracking Control for Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems with Velocity Estimation,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 399-413, 2000.
-  Y. Cui and J. Yuh, “A unified adaptive force control of underwater vehicle-manipulator systems (UVMS),” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 553-558, 2003.
-  B. Xu, S. R. Pandian, N. Sakagami, and F. Petry, “Neuro-Fuzzy Control of Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator Systems,” J. Franklin Institute, Vol.349, pp. 1125-1138, 2012.
-  S.Mohan and J. Kim, “Indirect Adaptive Control of an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator System for Underwater Manipulation Tasks,” Ocean Engineering, Vol.54, pp. 233-243, 2012.
-  J. Yuh, S. K. Choi, C. Ikehara, G. H. Kim, G. McMurty, M. Ghasemi-Nejhad, N. Sarkar, and K. Sugikara, “Design of a Semi-Autonomous Underwater Vehicle for Intervention Missions (SAUVIM),” Proc. of the 1998 Int. Symposium on Underwater Technology, pp. 63-68, 1998.
-  N. Sakagami et al., “Development of a Human-Sized ROV with Dual-Arm,” Proc. MTS/IEEE OCEANS 2010, 2010.
-  K. Ishizu, N. Sakagami, K. Ishimaru, M. Shibata, H. Onishi, S. Murakami, and S. Kawamura, “Ship Hull Inspection Using a Small Underwater Robot with a Mechanical Contact Mechanism,” Proc. OCEANS 2012-Yeosu, pp. 1-6, 2012.
-  R. Li, H. Li, W. Zou, R. G. Smith, and T. A. Curran, “Quantitative photogrammetric analysis of digital underwater video imagery,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 364-375, 1997.
-  H. T. Liu, “A Video-Based Stereoscopic Imaging and Measurement System (SIMS) for Undersea Applications,” Proc. of MTS/IEEE OCEANS 2001, Vol.1, pp. 275-286, 2001.
-  S. Ishibashi, “The stereo vision system for an underwater vehicle,” Proc. OCEANS 2009-EUROPE, pp. 1-6, 2009.
-  T. Naruse, T. Kaneko, A. Yamashita, and H. Asama, “3-D measurement of objects inwater using fish-eye stereo camera,” Proc. 19th IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 2773-2776, 2012.
-  A. Yamashita, Y. Shirane, and T. Kaneko, “Monocular underwater stereo – 3D measurement using difference of appearance depending on optical paths –,” Proc. 2010 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 3652-3657, 2010.
-  S. Birchfield and C. Tomasi, “Depth discontinuities by pixel-topixel stereo,” Proc. of the 6th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 1073-1080, 1998.
-  R. Hartley and A. Zisserman, “Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision (Second Edition),” Cambridge University Press, 2003.
-  T. Nishida, S. Kurogi, K. Yamanaka, W. Kogushi, and Y. Arimura, “Development of Pilot Assistance System with Stereo Vision for Robot Manipulation,” Xiong Zhihui (Ed.), Computer Vision, pp. 282-302, In-Tech, 2008.
-  K. Kawano, T. Shimozawa, and S. Sagara, “A Master-Slave Control System for a Semi-Autonomous Underwater Vehicle-Manipulator System,” Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.16, pp. 465-468, Springer, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.