Development of Easy-Removable Underwater Manipulator Unit with Built-in Controller
Fumiaki Takemura*, Reyes Tatsuru Shiroku*, Kuniaki Kawabata**,
and Shinichi Sagara***
*Okinawa National College of Technology, 905 Henoko, Nago-shi, Okinawa 905-2192, Japan
**RIKEN (The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research), 2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198, Japan
***Kyushu Institute of Technology, 1-1 Sensui-cho, Tobata, Kitakyushu 804-8550, Japan
In recent years, coral cover has been decreased by the impact of bleaching due to high water temperature, red-soil runoff, water pollution, and coral-eating starfish outbreak. It is necessary to appropriately measure, observe, and sample seawater. To succeed in these tasks, underwater robots should have a function of responds flexibly in solving problems. Underwater tasks are summarized as follows: (1) acquiring images and environmental information using cameras and sensors, (2) collecting objects and other necessary work using robot hands. Manipulator should be attached quickly to underwater robots as needed. So we have been developing “an easy-removable underwater manipulator.” The manipulators is easy to maintain because all electric components – DC motors, motor controllers, etc. – are in a pressure-resistant vessel, the manipulator has only one cable, and the manipulator is easy to attach and detach. In this paper, we illustrate the manipulator design and performance test results.
and Shinichi Sagara, “Development of Easy-Removable Underwater Manipulator Unit with Built-in Controller,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.5, pp. 778-784, 2013.
-  Ministry of the Environment, “Annual Report on the Environment, the Sound Material-Cycle Society and the Biodiversity in Japan 2012,” pp. 76-77, 2012.
-  D. Bryant, L. Burke, J. W. McManus, and M. Spalding, “Reefs at Risk,” World Resources Institute, p. 20, 1998.
-  Nature Conservation Division, Okinawa prefecture, “Coral reef resources intelligence readiness project – Report on coral reef resources investigation project, around main Okinawa island –,” pp. 69-120, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  Kuroshio Biological Research Foundation, “Manual of removal crown-of-thorns starfish – Introduction of extermination method by injection of acetic acid –,” p. 4, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  N. Sakagami, M. Shibata, H. Hashizume, Y. Hagiwara, K. Ishimaru, T. Ueda, T. Saitou, K. Fujita, T. Inoue, H. Onishi, S. Murakami, and S. Kawamura, “Development of a Human-Sized ROV with Dual-Arm,” Proc. MTS/IEEE Int. Conf. on OCEANS, 2010.
-  K. Kawano, T. Shimozawa, and S. Sagara, “A master-slave control system for semi-autonomous underwater vehicle-manipulator system,” Proc. of The 16th Int. Symposium on Artificial Life and Robotics, pp. 142-145, 2011.
-  M. Ishitsuka and K. Ishii, “Manipulator Control of Underwater Vehicle Considering DynamicManipulability,” UT’07 Tokyo, pp. 337-342, 2007.
-  J. Yuh, S. K.Choi, C. Ikehara, G. H. Kim, G. McMurty, M. Ghasemi-Nejhad, N. Sarkar, and K. Sugihara, “Design of a semi-autonomous underwater vehicle for intervention missions (SAUVIM),” Proc. of the 1998 Int. Symposium on Underwater Technology, pp. 63-68, 1998.
-  S.-U. Lee, Y.-S. Choi, K.-M. Jeong, and S. Jung, “Development of an Underwater Manipulator for Maintaining Nuclear Power Reactor,” Int. Conf. on Control, Automation and Systems, pp. 1006-1010, 2007.
-  N. Sakagami, D. Ibata, T. Ikeda, M. Shibata, T. Ueda, K. Ishimaru, H. Onishi, S. Murakami, and S. Kawamura, “Development of A Removable Multi-DOF Manipulator System for Man-portable Underwater Robots,” Proc. 21th Int. Offshore and Polar Eng. Conf. pp. 279-284, Apr. 2011.
-  S. Ma, S. Hirose, and H. Yoshinada, “Design and experiments for a Coupled Tendon-Driven Manipulator,” IEEE control systems magazine, Vol.13, Issue 1, pp. 30-36, 1993.
-  K. Kishi, M. G. Fujie, M. Hashizume, I. Sakuma, and T. Dohi, “MR-compatible Surgical Support Manipulator System with Roddriven Instruments,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.27, No.6 pp. 652-660, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  K. Tadano, K. Kawashima, K. Kazuyuki, and T. Naofumi, “Development of a Pneumatic Surgical Manipulator IBIS IV,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.2 pp. 179-187, 2010.
-  F. Takemura and R. T. Shiroku, “Development of the Actuator Concentration Type Removable Underwater Manipulator,” The 11th Int. Conf. on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV 2010), pp. 2124-2128, Singapore, 2010.
-  Nature Conservation Division, Okinawa prefecture, “Story of crown-of-thorns starfish (second edition),” p. 27, Mar. 2004 (in Japanese).
-  T. Ura and S. Takagawa, “Overview of Subsea Robot,” Seizandoshoten, pp. 265-268, 1994 (in Japanese).
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.