Design Methodology for Human Symbiotic Machines Based on the Description of User’s Mental Model
Rui Fukui*1, Shuhei Kousaka*2, Tomomasa Sato*3,
and Masamichi Shimosaka*4
*1Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
*2Komatsu, Ltd., 2-3-6 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8414, Japan
*3The University of Tokyo Future Center Initiative, 227-6 Wakashiba, Kashiwa-shi, Chiba 277-0871, Japan
*4Department of Mechano-Informatics, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
-  K. S. Gill, “Human Machine Symbiosis: The Foundations of Human-centred Systems Design,” Springer, 1996.
-  L. Leventhal and J. Barnes, “Usability Engineering: Process, Products and Examples,” Prentice Hall, 2007.
-  D. Norman, “The Psychology of Everyday Things,” Basic Books, 1988.
-  G. Salvendy, “Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics,” John Wiley and Sons, 2012.
-  T. Inagaki, “Design of human and machine interactions in light of domain-dependence of human-centered automation,” Cognition, Technology and Work, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 161-167, 2006.
-  J. Tick, “Software user interface modelling with UML support,” In Proc. of Int. Conf. on Computational Cybernetics, pp. 325-328, 2005.
-  P. Markopoulos and P. Marijnissen, “UML as a representation for interaction design,” In Proc. of OZCHI, pp. 240-249, 2000.
-  P. P. Da Silva and N. W. Paton, “User interface modelling with UMLi,” IEEE Software, Vol.20, pp. 62-69, 2003.
-  S. Kim, K. Sekiyama, and T. Fukuda, “User-adaptive interface based on mental model and symbol matching,” In Proc. of IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 457-462, 2009.
-  C. Bunse, H.-G. Gross, and C. Peper, “Applying a model-based approach for embedded system development,” In Proc. of IEEE EUROMICRO Conf. on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications, pp. 121-128, 2007.
-  J. Guiochest, B. Tondu, and C. Baron, “Integration of UML in human factors analysis for safety of a medical robot for teleechography,” In Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Robots and Systems, pp. 3212-3217, 2003.
-  M. V. Farina, “Flowcharting,” Prentice Hall, 1970.
-  O. A. Yakimenko, “Engineering Computations and Modeling in MATLAB/Simulink,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2011.
-  E. Huang, R. Ramamurthy, and L. F. McGinnis, “System and simulation modeling using SysML,” In Proc. of the Winter Simulation Conf., pp. 796-803, 2007.
-  S. Friedenthal, A. Moore, and R. Steiner, “A Practical Guide to SysML,” Elsevier Inc., 2009.
-  R. Fukui, S. Kousaka, T. Sato, and M. Shimosaka, “Non-industrial stacker crane with compatibility/extensibility between manual operation and electrical driving,” In Proc. of IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 383-390, 2012.
-  S. Dekker, “The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error,” Ashgate Publishing Company, 2006.
-  S. G. Hart, “NASA-task load index NASA-TLX; 20 years later,” In Proc. of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 50th Annual Meeting, pp. 904-908, 2006.
-  N. Hashimoto, S. Kato, and S. Tsugawa, “Evaluation of acceptability and usability of a parking assistance system for elderly drivers – relationship between experiment results, gender, driving frequency and driving styles –,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 745-750, 2010.
-  M. Wada, K. S. Yoon, and H. Hashimoto, “Development of advanced parking assistance system in the iCAN framework,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.13, No.4, pp. 402-408, 2001.
-  Z. Hu and D. Zhao, “Adaptive cruise control based on reinforcement leaning with shaping rewards,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 351-356, 2010.
-  S.Weinschenk, “100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People,” New Riders, 2011.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] Object Management Group, Inc., “Documents Associated with Systems Modeling Language (SysML), Version 1.3.”
http://www.omg.org/spec/SysML/1.3/PDF/ [Accessed: July 22, 2013]
-  [b] BMW AG, “BMW Head-Up Display.”
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/7series/sedan/2012/showroom/safety/head-up-display.html [Accessed: July 22, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.