Development of an Air Balancer Applying Passive Dynamic Control
Yasuhiro Minamiyama*1, Yuki Gomi*2, Takanori Kiyota*3,
and Noboru Sugimoto*4
*1Kurume National College of Technology, 1-1-1 Komorino, Kurume, Fukuoka 830-8555, Japan
*2First Carbody System Engineering Department, AISIN SEIKI Co., Ltd., Japan
*3The University of Kitakyushu, Japan
*4Meiji University, Japan
Passive Dynamic Control (PDC) is a new type of mechanical system control method based on inherently safe design. It uses passive elements (braking effort) with variable characteristics positively. In this paper, PDC is applied to a material handling device, and a PDC air balancer is developed using a Magneto-Rheological (MR) brake and a torque sensor. Its control performance depends on the operation of the MR brake, not on the operation of air pressure. Compared with similar conventional devices, PDC air balancer is used with heavy objects for intuitive operation with lower highly-safe actuating force.
and Noboru Sugimoto, “Development of an Air Balancer Applying Passive Dynamic Control,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.4, pp. 718-725, 2013.
-  Y. Yamada, T. Morizono, Y. Umetani, and H. Konosu, “Warning: To Err Is Human – Working toward a Dependable Skill-Assist with a Method for Preventing Accidents Caused by Human Error –,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 34-45, 2004.
-  S. Lee and Y. Yamada, “Skill-Assist Safety and Intelligence Technology,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 643-652, 2009.
-  H. Murayama, N. Takesue, K. Matsumoto, H. Konosu, and H. Fujimoto, “Development of a Car Window Installation Assist Robot,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.128, No.5, pp. 642-630, 2010.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Aida, and T. Hashimoto, “Muscle Suit Development and Factory Application,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 709-715, 2009.
-  T. Miyoshi, A. Niinuma, K. Terashima, and Y. Miyashita, “Development of Industry Oriented Power-Assisted System and Comparison with Conventional Machine,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 692-699, 2009.
-  T. Miyoshi, K. Suzuki, and K. Terashima, “Development of Five-Degree-of-Freedom Wire Suspension Power-Assisted System Using Linear Cylinders,” Proc. of the 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 342-348, 2011.
-  Y. Minamiyama, T. Kiyota, T. Sasaki, and N. Sugimoto, “Passive Dynamic Control and Its Application to Balance Servo,” Proc. of the 44th IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control, and European Control Conf. (ECC’05), pp. 8325-8330, 2005.
-  ISO12100, “Safety of machinery – Basic concepts, general principles for design.”
-  Y. Minamiyama, T. Kiyota, and N. Sugimoto, “Inherently Safe Design of Home Elevator System by Passive Dynamic Control,” Proc. of 2007 ASME Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (ASME-IMECE 07), No.42534, 2007.
-  Y. Minamiyama, T. Kiyota, T. Sasaki, and N. Sugimoto, “Application of Passive Dynamic Control to Pneumatic Cylinders,” Proc. of the 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4497-4502, 2007.
-  Y. Minamiyama, T. Kiyota, and N. Sugimoto, “Enclosing Control Based on Brake Operation and Its Application to Pneumatic Systems,” Proc. of the 37th Annual Conf. of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON2011), pp. 75-80, 2011.
-  ISO10218, “Robots for industrial environments – Safety requirements,” 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.