Design, Modeling and Performance Testing of End-Effector for Sweet Pepper Harvesting Robot Hand
Shivaji Bachche and Koichi Oka
Department of Intelligent Mechanical Systems Engineering, Kochi University of Technology, 185 Miyanokuchi, Tosayamada, Kami City, Kochi 782-8502, Japan
-  N. Kondo and K. C. Ting, “Robotics for plant production,” Artificial Intelligence Review, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 227-243, 1998.
-  N. Kondo and M. Monta, “Fruit harvesting robotics,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 321-325, 1999.
-  Y. Hashimoto, “Agro-Robotics,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 171-172, 1999.
-  A. M. Bertetto, C. Falchi, R. Pinna, and R. Ricciu, “An integrated device for saffron flowers detaching and harvesting,” Proc. of 2010 IEEE 19th Int. Workshop on Robotics in Alpe-Adria-Danube Region (RAAD), pp. 93-98, June 24-26, 2010.
-  F. Y. Chen, “Gripping mechanisms for industrial robots,” Mechanism Machine Theory, Vol.17, pp. 299-311, 1982.
-  Y. Sarig, “Robotics of fruit harvesting: A state-of-the-art review,” J. of Agricultural Engineering Research, Vol.54, pp. 265-280, 1992.
-  A. K. El-Kalay, M. Akyurt, A. A. N. Aljawi, and F. M. Dehlawi, “On gripping mechanisms for industrial robots,” The Fourth Saudi Engineering Conf., Vol.4, pp. 159-170, 1995.
-  L. Goran, “Industrial robot grippers,” Industrial Robot: An International Journal, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 72-82, 1974.
-  S. Arima and N. Kondo, “Cucumber harvesting robot and plant training system,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 208-212, 1999.
-  R. C. Harrell, P. D. Adsit, T. A. Pool, and R. Hoffman, “The Florida robotic grove-lab,” ASAE Paper 88-1578, St. Joseph, MI 49085, 1988.
-  N. Irie, N. Taguchi, T. Horie, and T. Ishimatsu, “Development of Asparagus Harvester Coordinated with 3-D Vision Sensor,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 583-589, 2009.
-  Y. Sarig, Y. Edan, N. Katz, and T. Flash, “Some aspects of robotics for fruit picking,” French-Israel Bi-National Symposium on Advanced Robotics, Theory and Practice, Tel-Aviv, May 30-31, 1988.
-  S. Hayashi and O. Sakaue, “Tomato harvesting by robotic system,” ASAE Annual Int.Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Paper 963067, 1996.
-  M. Monta, N. Kondo, and K. C. Ting, “End-effectors for tomato harvesting robot,” Artificial Intelligence Review, Vol.12, pp. 11-25, 1998.
-  E. J. van Henten, J. Hemming, B. A. J. van Tuijl, J. G. Kornet, J. Meuleman, J. Bontsema, and E. A. van Os, “An autonomous robot for harvesting cucumbers in greenhouses,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 241-258, 2002.
-  H. B. Chambers, C.W. Tellefson, S. Barbara, and Calif, “Hydraulic gripper and moving jack,” United States Patent and Trademark Office Discloser, Patent No.3559954, 1971.
-  F. Morra, R. Molfino, and C. Francesco, “Miniature gripping device,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Manipulation and Grasping, Genova, Italy, July 1-2, 2004.
-  G. Carbone, M. Ceccarelli, H. Kerle, and A. Raatz, “Design and experimental validation of a microgripper,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 319-325, 2001.
-  N. Kondo, K. Yata, M. Iida, T. Shiigi, M. Monta, M. Kurita, and H. Omori, “Development of an end-effector for a tomato cluster harvesting robot,” Engineering in Agriculture, Environment and Food, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 20-24, 2010.
-  S. Kitamura and K. Oka, “Recognition and cutting system of sweet pepper for picking robot in greenhouse horticulture,” Mechatronics and Automation, 2005 IEEE Int. Conf., Vol.4, pp. 1807-1812, 2005.
-  S. Horiuchi, J. E. DeVay, J. J. Stapleton, and C. L. Elmore, “Solarization for greenhouse crops in Japan,” Int. Conf. on Soil Solarization, Amman (Jordan), pp. 16-27, Feb. 19-25, 1990.
-  S. Bachche and K. Oka, “Distinction of Green Sweet Peppers by Using Various Color Space Models and Computation of 3 Dimensional Location Coordinates of Recognized Green Sweet Peppers Based on Parallel Stereovision System,” J. of System Design and Dynamics, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 178-196, 2013.
-  S. P. Monselise and E. E. Goldschmidt, “Alternate bearing in fruit trees,” Horticultural Reviews, Vol.4, pp. 155-158, 1982.
-  Y. Ben-Tal, “Horticultural aspects of mechanical fruit harvesting,” Proc. of Int. Symposium on Fruit, Nut and Vegetable Harvesting Mechanization, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, pp. 372-375, 1983.
-  S. Arima, N. Kondo, and H. Nakamura, “Development of robotic system for cucumber harvesting,” Japan Agricultural Research Quarterly, Vol.30, pp. 233-238, 1996.
-  F. Juste and F. Sevilla, “Citrus: A European project to study robotic harvesting of oranges,” Proc. of 3rd Int. Symposium on Fruit, Nut and Vegetable Harvesting Mechanization, Denmark-Sweden-Norway, pp. 331-338, 1991.
-  S. Kitamura, K. Oka, K. Ikutomo, Y. Kimura, and Y. Taniguchi, “A distinction method for fruit of sweet pepper using reflection of LED light,” SICE Annual Conf., pp. 491-494, Aug. 20-22, 2008.
-  S. Kitamura and K. Oka, “Improvement of the Ability to Recognize Sweet Peppers for Picking Robot in Greenhouse Horticulture,” SICE-ICASE, Int. Joint Conf., pp. 353-356, Oct. 18-21, 2006.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] The 86th Statistical Yearbook of Ministry of Agriculture, “Forestry and Fisheries,” 2010-2011.
http://www.maff.go.jp/e/tokei/kikaku/nenji_e/86nenji/index.html [Accessed August 10, 2012]
-  [b] Kondo Kagaku Co. Ltd., Tokyo, Japan, “e-Shop Kondo, KRS 6003HV,” (in Japanese).
http://www.kondo-robot.com/product/KRS6003.html [Accessed June 23, 2011]
-  [c] Kondo Kagaku Co. Ltd., Tokyo, Japan, “e-Shop Kondo, KCB-1,” (in Japanese).
http://www.kondo-robot.com/product/KCB-1.html [Accessed June 23, 2011]
-  [d] MatWeb Material Property Data, “Digital Libraries: Metal data sheet.”
http://www.matweb.com [Accessed August 22, 2011]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.