Propulsion Mechanism for a Lunar Subterranean Excavator Using Peristaltic Crawling
Hiroyuki Kitamoto, Hayato Omori, Hiroaki Nagai,
Taro Nakamura, Hisashi Osumi, and Takashi Kubota
Department of Precision Mechanics, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Chuo University, 1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
-  W. Yamamoto, S. Mukoyama, H. Kanamori, and S. Aoki, “Lunar Solar Power Generation, “The LUNA RING”,” Technical Report of IEICE, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  K. Watanabe, S. Shimoda, T. Kubota, and I. Nakatani, “A Mole-Type Drilling Robot for Lunar Subsurface Exploration,” in Proc. of the 7th Int. Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Automation in Space, 2003.
-  K. Nagaoka, T. Kubota, and M. Otsuki, “Experimental Study on Autonomous Burrowing Screw Robot for Subsurface Exploration on the Moon,” in Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4104-4109, 2008.
-  L. Richter, P. Coste, V. V. Gromov, H. Kochan, R. Nadalini, T. C. Ng, S. Pinna, H.-E. Richter, and K. L. Yung, “Development and testing of subsurface sampling devices for the Beagle 2 lander,” Planetary and Space Science, Vol.50, pp. 903-913, 2002.
-  C. R. Stoker, A. Gonzales, and J. R. Zavaleta, “Moon/Mars Underground Mole,” in Proc. of the 2007 NASA Science Technology Conference, 2007.
-  S. Yasuda, K. Komatsu, and S. Tanaka, “Self-Turning Screw Mechanism for Burying Geophysical Sensors under Regolith,” in Proc. of the 11th Int. Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Automation in Space, 2012.
-  H. Omori, T. Murakami, H. Nagai, T. Nakamura, and T. Kubota, “Planetary Subsurface Explorer Robot with Propulsion Units for Peristaltic Crawling,” in Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 649-654, 2011.
-  H. Sugi, “Evolution of Muscle Motion,” The University of Tokyo Press, p. 72, 1977 (in Japanese).
-  R. M. Alexander, “Exploring Biomechanics: Animals in Motion,” W. H. freeman and Company, 1992.
-  K. Yoshida, N. Mizuno, T. Yokoyama, H. Kanamori, M. Sonoyama, and T. Watabe, “Development of a mole-type robot for lunar/planetary sub-surface exploration, and its performance evaluation,” presented at the. 20th Annu. Conf. Robot. Soc. of Jpn., Paper 1J35, Osaka, Japan, 2002.
-  H. Omori, T. Nakamura, T. Yada, T. Murakami, H. Nagai, and T. Kubota, “Excavation mechanism for a planetary underground explorer robot,” in Proc. Int. Symposium on Robotics, Munich, pp. 1273-1279, 2010.
-  H. Omori, T. Nakamura, T. Murakami, H. Nagai, and T. Kubota, “An earth auger as excavation part for a planetary underground explorer robot using peristaltic crawling,” in Proc. Int. Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Automation in Space, pp. 784-789, Sapporo, 2010.
-  H. Omori, T. Murakami, H. Nagai, T. Nakamura, and T. Kubota, “Validation of measuring condition of planetary subsurface explorer robot using peristaltic crawling,” in Proc. IEEE Aerospace Conf., Montana, 2013.
-  S. Wakabayashi and K. Matsumoto, “Development of slope mobility testbed using simulated lunar soil,” JAXA Research and Development Memorandum, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.