Local Ablation of a Single Cell Using Micro/Nano Bubbles
Hiroki Kuriki*, Yoko Yamanishi*, Shinya Sakuma*,
Satoshi Akagi**, and Fumihito Arai*
*Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
**NARO Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, 2 Ikenodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0901, Japan
We have successfully produced mono-dispersed microgas bubbles less than around 10 µm in diameter in an electrically induced ultrasonic field. The discharged output power and conductive area of the micro-electrode are controlled by glass shell insulation around the copper micro-wire. A small space between the wire and glass tip, a “bubble reservoir,” contributes to the stabilization of the electric discharge and directional bubble generation. The directionally dispensed bubbles can be used for processing soft materials such as biological cells. For the present study, the cell membrane has successfully been processed with resolution of a few µm order and without any thermal collateral damage.
Satoshi Akagi, and Fumihito Arai, “Local Ablation of a Single Cell Using Micro/Nano Bubbles,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.3, pp. 476-483, 2013.
-  T. Makuta, F. Takemura, E. Hihara, Y. Matsumoto, and M. Shoji, “Generation of micro gas bubbles of uniform diameter in an ultrasonic field,” J. Fluid. Mech., 2nd ed., Vol.548, pp. 113-131, 2006.
-  P. Garstecki, M. J. Fuerstman, H. A. Stone, and G. M. Whitesides, “Formation of droplets and bubbles in a microfluidic T-junction – scaling and mechanism of break-up,” Lab on a chip, Vol.6, pp. 437-446, 2006.
-  A. Barrero and I. G. Loscertales, “Micro- and Nanoparticles via Capillary Flows,” Annu. Rev. Fluid. Mech., Vol.39, pp. 89-106, 2007.
-  Y. Yamanishi, L. Feng, and F. Arai, “On-demand Production of Emulsion Droplets Over a Wide Range of Sizes,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.24, pp. 2005-2018, 2010.
-  S. Yokota, F. Yajima, K. Takemura, and K. Edamura, “Electro-Conjugate Fluid Jet-Driven Micro Artificial Antagonistic Muscle Actuators and their Integration,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.24, pp. 1929-1943, 2010.
-  M. Ikeuchi, R. Tane, and K. Ikuta, “Electrospray deposition and direct patterning of polylactic acid nanofibrous microcapsules for tissue engineering,” BiomedMicrodevices, Vol.14, pp. 35-43, 2012.
-  L. Y. Yeo, Z. Gagnon, and H.-C. Chang, “AC electrospray biomaterials synthesis,” Biomaterials, Vol.26, pp. 6122-6128, 2005.
-  M. Hagiwara, T. Kawahara, Y. Yamanishi, and F. Arai, “Precise Control of Magnetically Driven Microtools for Enucleation of Oocytes in a Microfluidic Chip,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.25, No.8, pp. 991-1005, 2011.
-  N. Inomata, T. Mizunuma, Y. Yamanishi, and F. Arai, “Omnidirectional actuation of magnetically driven microtool for cutting of oocyte in a chip,” J. Microelectromech. Syst., Vol.20, pp. 383-388, 2011.
-  F. Zeng, C. B. Rohde, and M. F. Yanik, “Sub-cellular precision on-chip small-animal immobilization, multi-photon imaging and femtosecond-laser manipulation,” Lab on a chip, Vol.8, pp. 653-656, 2008.
-  J. Teramoto, Y. Yamanishi, E. S. Magdy, A. Hasegawa, A. Kori, M. Nakajima, F. Arai, T. Fukada, and A. Ishihama, “Single-bacterial cell assay of promoter activity and regulation,” Genes to cells, Vol.15, pp. 1111-1122, 2010.
-  A. A. Tseng, K. Chen, C. D. Chen, and K. J. Ma, “Electron bean electron beam lithography in nanoscale fabrication: recent development,” IEEE Trans. on electronics packing manufacturing, Vol.26, No.2, pp. 141-149, 2003.
-  H. Hosokawa, K. Shimojima, Y. Chino, Y. Yamada, C. E. Wen, and M. Mabuchi, “Fabrication of nanoscale Ti honeycombs by focused ion bean,” Material and science and engineering, A344, pp. 365-367, 2003.
-  D. Palanker, H. Nomoto, P. Huie, A. Vankov, and D. Chang, “Anterior capsulotomy with a pulsed-electron avalanche knife,” J. of cataract refract surgery, Vol.38, pp. 128-132, 2010.
-  D. Palanker, A. Vankov, and P. Jayaraman, “On mechanisms of interaction in electrosurgery,” New J. of physics, Vol.10, pp. 1-15, 2008.
-  S. Loh, G. Carlson, E. Chang, E. Huang, D. Palanker, and G. Gurtner, “Comparative healing of surgical incisions created by the peak plasmablade, conventional electrosugery, and a scalpel,” Plastic and reconstructive surgery, Vol.124, No.6, pp. 1849-1859, 2009.
-  D. Palanker, J. Miller, M. Marmor, S. Sanislo, P. Huie, and M. Blumenkranz, “Pulsed electron abalanche knife (PEAK) for intraocular surgery,” Investigative ophthalmology and visual science, Vol.42, No.11, pp. 2673-2678, 2001.
-  D. Obreschkow, M. Tinguely, N. Dorsaz, P. Kobel, A. de Bosset, and M. Farhat, “Universal scaling law for jets of collapsing bubbles,” Physical review letter, Vol.107, 204501, 2011.
-  S. Watanabe (Ed.), “Manual for the enucleation of bovine oocyte and evaluation of quality of embryo,” No.9, National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science Technical Report, p. 5, 2011.
-  Y. Yamanishi, H. Kuriki, S. Sakuma, K. Onda, and F. Arai, “Local ablation by micro-electric knife,” IEEE Nanotechnology Magazine, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 20-24, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.