A Photoelastic Tactile Sensor to Measure Contact Pressure Distributions on Object Surfaces
Taku Nakamura, Fuminobu Kimura, and Akio Yamamoto
Department of Precision Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
-  R. M. Friedman, K. D. Hester, B. G. Green, and R. H. LaMotte, “Magnitude estimation of softness,” Experimental Brain Research, Vol.191, No.2, pp. 133-142, 2008.
-  W. M. B. Tiest and A. M. L. Kappers, “Kinaesthetic and cutaneous contributions to the perception of compressibility,” Proc. EuroHaptics 2008, pp. 255-264, 2008.
-  K. Fujita and H. Ohmori, “A new softness display interface by dynamic fingertip contact area control,” Proc. 5th World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics 2001, pp. 78-82, 2001.
-  A. Bicchi, E. P. Schilingo, and D. E. De Rossi, “Haptic discrimination of softness in teleoperation: the role of the contact area spread rate,” IEEE Trans. Robotics Automation, Vol.16, No.5, pp. 496-504, 2000.
-  F. Kimura and A. Yamamoto, “A softness feeling display with an active tensioner controlling contact pressure distribution on a fingertip,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol.162, pp. 463-470, 2012.
-  F. Kimura and A. Yamamoto, “Effect of delays in softness display using contact area control: rendering of surface viscoelasticity,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.27, Issue 7, 2013 (in press).
-  F. Kimura, A. Yamamoto, and T. Higuchi, “Development of a 2-DOF softness feeling display for tactile tele-presentation of deformable surfaces,” Proc. 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 1822-1827, 2010.
-  Y. Tanaka, A. Sano, M. Ito, and H. Fujimoto, “A novel tactile device considering nail function for changing capability of tactile perception,” Proc. EuroHaptics 2008, pp. 543-548, 2008.
-  Y. Hidaka, Y. Shiokawa, K. Tashiro, T. Maeno, M. Konyo, and T. Yamauchi, “Development of an elastic tactile sensor emulating human fingers for tele-presentation systems,” Proc. 2009 IEEE Sensors, pp. 1919-1922, 2009.
-  K. Sato, K. Kamiyama, N. Kawakami, and S. Tachi, “Finger-shaped GelForce: sensor for measuring surface traction fields for robotic hand,” IEEE Trans. Haptics, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 37-47, 2010.
-  J. A. Fishel and G. E. Loeb, “Bayesian exploration for intelligent identification of textures,” Frontiers in Neurorobotics, Vol.6, No.4, 2012.
-  M. Shimojo, A. Namiki, M. Ishikawa, R. Makino, and K. Mabuchi, “A tactile sensor sheet using pressure conductive rubber with electrical-wires stitched method,” IEEE Sensors J., Vol.4, No.5, pp. 589-596, 2004.
-  T. Sagisaka, Y. Ohmura, A. Nagakubo, and K. Ozaki, “High-density conformable tactile sensing glove,” Proc. 11th IEEE Int. Conf. Humanoid Robots, pp. 537-542, 2011.
-  C. Pang, G. Lee, T. Kim, S. Kim, H. Kim, S. Ahn, and K. Suh, “A flexible and highly sensitive strain-gauge sensor using reversible interlocking of nanofibres,” Nature Materials, Vol.11, pp. 795-801, 2012.
-  T. Maeno, K. Kobayashi, and N. Yamazaki, “Relationship between structure of finger tissue and location of tactile receptors,” Trans. the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Series C, Vol.63. No.607, pp. 881-888, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  F. Kimura, A. Yamamoto, and T. Higuchi, “Presentation of surface softness feeling using pressure distribution on a fingertip,” Proc. 11th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf., pp. 170-173, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  T. Nakamura, F. Kimura, and A. Yamamoto, “Evaluation of a softness display using a photoelastic tactile sensor,” Proc. 2012 JSME Conf. Robotics and Mechatronics, 1A2-C02, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Supporting Online Materials:[a] Pressure Profile Systems, Inc.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.