Kinetic Energy Maximization on Elastic Joint Robots Based on Feedback Excitation Control and Excitation Limit Hypersurface
Takatoshi Hondo and Ikuo Mizuuchi
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, 2-24-16 Naka-cho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
This paper describes amethod of realizing high kinetic energy utilizing mechanical elasticity within the joint limit ranges of multiple-joint robots. By utilizing series elastic elements, a robot obtains high kinetic energy compared with a rigid robot. In this paper, we propose feedback excitation control that realizes high kinetic energy utilizing series elastic joints. Robot motion has to be kept within the joint limit range. We propose a control method based on an excitation limit hypersurface to realize robot motion within the joint limit range. The feasibility of the method was evaluated in experiments. We performed a ball throwing task as an application of the method.
-  R. M. Alexander and H. C. Bennet-Clark, “Storage of elastic strain energy in muscle and other tissues,” Nature, Vol.265, pp. 114-117, 1977.
-  P. V. Komi, “Stretch–Shortening Cycle: a Powerful Model to Study Normal and Fatigued Muscle,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.3, No.10, pp. 1197-1206, 2000.
-  T. Hondo and I. Mizuuchi, “Analysis of the 1-Joint Spring-Motor Coupling System and Optimization Criteria Focusing on the Velocity Increasing Effect,” In Proc. of the 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 1412-1418, 2011.
-  G. A. Pratt and M. M. Williamson, “Series Elastic Actuators,” In Proc. of the 1995 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 399-406, 1995.
-  N. Hogan, “Adaptive Control of Mechanical Impedance by Coactivation of Antagonist Muscles,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, AC-29, Vol.8, pp. 681-690, 1984.
-  I. Mizuuchi, Y. Nakanishi, Y. Sodeyama, Y. Namiki, T. Nishino, N. Muramatsu, J. Urata, K. Hongo, T. Yoshikai, and M. Inaba, “An advanced musculoskeletal humanoid Kojiro,” In 2007 7th IEEERAS Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, pp. 294-299, Vol.29, Dec. 1, 2007.
-  R. Niiyama, K. Kakitani, and Y. Kuniyoshi, “Learning to Jump with aMusculoskeletal Robot using a Sparse Coding of Activation,” In Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation 2009 Workshop on Approaches to Sensorimotor Learning on Humanoid Robots, pp. 30-31, Kobe, Japan, May 2009.
-  H. G. Marques, M. Jäntsch, S. Wittmeier, O. Holland, C. Alessandro, A. D. a. Max Lungarella, and R. Knight, “ECCE1: the first of a series of anthropomimetic musculoskeletal upper torsos,” In Proc. of the 2010 IEEE-RAS Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robot, pp. 391-396, 2010.
-  M. H. Raibert, H. B. Brown Jr., and M. Chepponis, “Experiments in Balance with a 3D One-Legged Hopping Machine,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.3, pp. 75-92, 2012.
-  S. Haddadin, T. Laue, U. Frese, S. Wolf, A. Albu-Schäffer, and G. Hirzinger, “Kick it with Elasticity: Safety and Performance in Human-Robot Soccer,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems (RAS): Special Issue on Humanoid Soccer Robots, Vol.57, No.8, pp. 761-775, 2009.
-  O. Eiberger, S. Haddadin, M. Weis, A. Albu-Schäffer, and G. Hirzinger, “On Joint Design with Intrinsic Variable Compliance: Derivation of the DLR QA–Joint,” In Proc. of the 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 1687-1694, 2010.
-  F. Petit, M. Chalon, W. Friedl, M. Grebenstein, A. Albu-Schäffer, and G. Hirzinger, “Bidirectional Antagonistic Variable Stiffness Actuation: Analysis, Design & Implementation,” In Proc. of the 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 4189-4196, 2010.
-  S. Haddadin, M. Weis, S. Wolf, and A. Albu-Schäffer, “Optimal Control for Maximizing Link Velocity of Robotic Variable Stiffness Joints,” In Proc. of the Int. Federation of Automatic Control, pp. 6863-6871, 2011.
-  D. Braun, M. Howard, and S. Vijayakumar, “Optimal variable stiffness control: formulation and application to explosive movement tasks,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.33, pp. 237-253, 2012.
-  J. Nakanishi and S. Vijayakumar, “Exploiting Passive Dynamics with Variable Stiffness Actuation in Robot Brachiation,” In Proc. of the 2012 Robotics: Science and Systems Conf., 2012.
-  M. Uemura, K. Kanaoka, and S. Kawamura, “A New Control Method Utilizing Stiffness Adjustment of Mechanical Elastic Elements for Serial Link Systems,” In Proc. of the 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 1437-1442, 2007.
-  M. Uemura, K. Kimura, and S. Kawamura, “Generation of Energy Saving Motion for Biped Walking Robot through Resonance-based Control Method,” In Proc. of the 2009 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2928-2933, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.