MAV Circular Leader-Follower Formation Control Utilizing Mass-Spring-Damper with Centripetal Force Consideration
Mohammad Fadhil Bin Abas, Syaril Azrad Md. Ali, Daisuke Iwakura,
Yuze Song, and Kenzo Nonami
Department of Artificial System Science, Graduate School of Engineering, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
Past research has dealt with numerous formation control problems related to leader-follower formation. In the move towards bio-inspired formation, this paper introduces flock formation based on migrating birds. Flock formation development can be subdivided into shape control, shape entrance control and leader change control. Shape control or keeping is the first part of development. Shape keeping in this paper utilizes a virtual spring and damper model to interconnect all the Micro Aerial Vehicles (MAVs) in the formation. Besides that, the algorithm also considers the centripetal force acting on each MAV since a circular/curve motion is being evaluated. The circular leader-follower formation control of multiple MAVs using virtual mass-spring-damper system with the consideration of centripetal force for flock formation shape keeping has been successfully designed and implemented. Based on the experimental result, it is seen that the performance of the algorithm is reliable.
-  M. F. B. Abas, D. Pebrianti, S. Azrad, D. Iwakura, Y. Song, K. Nonami, and D. Fujiwara, “Circular Leader-Follower Formation Control of Quad-rotor Aerial Vehicles,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No 1, 2013 (in press).
-  Y. Q. Chen and Z. Wang, “Formation control: a review and a new consideration,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2005 (IROS 2005), August 2-6, 2005, pp. 3181-3186, 2005.
-  Y. Gu, B. Seanor, G. Campa, M. R. Napolitano, L. Rowe, S. Gururajan, and S. Wan, “Design and Flight Testing Evaluation of Formation Control Laws,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology (Journal), Vol.14, Issue 6, pp. 1105-1112, 2006.
-  B. Vanek, T. Peni, J. Bokor, and G. Balas, “Practical approach to real-time trajectory tracking of UAV formations,” Proc. of the American Control Conf., Vol.1, pp. 122-127, 2005.
-  T. Miyame, S. Ichikawa, and F. Hara, “Emergent Approach to Circle Formation by Multiple Autonomous Modular Robots,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.1, 2009, pp. 1-11, 2009.
-  P. Kim and D. Kurabayashi, “Efficient Formation of Pheromone Potential Field by Filtering Interaction,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.4, 2012.
-  D. Nakazawa, S. Suzuki, S. Sakai, and K. Nonami, “Formation Flight Control of Small Unmanned Helicopters,” Trans. of The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Series C, Vol.74, No.747, pp. 2737-2746, 2008.
-  B. Ganesh and N. Komerath, “Unsteady Aerodynamics of Rotorcraft in Ground Effect,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Paper 2004-2431, Fluid Dynamics Meeting, Portland, OR, pp. 1-18, June 2004.
-  T. Higashi, K. Sekiyama, and T. Fukuda, “Autonomous Formation of Transportation Order under Dynamical Environment,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.4, 2000.
-  N. Ayanian and V. Kumar, “Decentralized Feedback Controllers for Multi-Agent Teams in Environments with Obstacles,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, October 2010.
-  S. Berman, 2010, “Abstractions, Analysis Techniques, and Synthesis of Scalable Control Strategies for Robot Swarms,” Ph.D. Thesis, University of Pennsylvania, 2010.
-  M. Kumar, V. Kumar, and D. Garg, “Segregation of heterogeneous units in a swarm of robotic agents,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, 2010.
-  R. Fierro, P. Song, A. Das, and V. Kumar, “Cooperative Control of Robot Formations,” Cooperative Control and Optimization: Series on Applied Optimization, Kluwer Academic Press, pp. 79-93, 2002.
-  A. Franchi, C. Masone, H. H. Bülthoff, and P. R. Giordano, “Bilateral Teleoperation of Multiple UAVs with Decentralized Bearingonly Formation Control,” 2011 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, San Francisco, California, 2011.
-  D. Kurabayashi, T. Choh, J. Cheng, and T. Funato, “Adaptive Formation Transition of a Swarm of Mobile Robots Based on Phase Gradient,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 467-474, 2010.
-  M. Kubo, S. Mikami, Y. Kakazu and M. Wada, “Adaptive Formation Plays in Simulated Soccer Game Based on Pheromone as Communication Media and Reward Resources,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.1, 1999.
-  L. Barnes, M. A. Fields, and K. Valavanis, “Unmanned Ground Vehicles Swarm Formation Control Using Potential Fields,” Proc. of theMediterranean Conf. on Control & Automation, Athens-Greece, July 17–29, 2007.
-  N. Lechevin, C. A. Rabbath, and E. Earon, “Towards Decentralized Fault Detection in UAV Formations,” Proc. of the 2007 American Control Conf. , Marriott Marquls Hotel at Times Square, New York City, USA, pp. 5759-5764, July 11-13, 2007.
-  B. Yun, B. M. Chen, K. Y. Lum, and T. H. Lee, “A Leader-Follower Formation Flight Control Scheme for UAV Helicopters,” Preceedings of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Automation and Logistics, Qingdao, China, pp. 39-44, September 2008.
-  S. Berman, V. Kumar, and R. Nagpal, “Design of Control Policies for Spatially Inhomogeneous Robot Swarms with Application to Commercial Pollination,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2011, Shanghai, China, 2011.
-  L. E. Barnes, “A potential field based formation methodology for robot swarms,” Ph.D. Thesis, University of South Florida, 2008.
-  N. Kubota, Y. Nojima, F. Kojima, T. Fukuda, and S. Shibata, “Path Planning and Control for a Flexible Transfer System,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 103-109, 2000.
-  J. Wang, X. Wu, and Z. Xu, “Potential-based obstacle avoidance in formation control,” J. of Control Theory Application 2008, Vol.6, No.3. pp. 311-316, 2008.
-  L. B. Arranz, A. Seuret, and C. C. de Wit, “Translation Control of a Fleet Circular Formation of AUVs under Finite Communication Range,” 48th IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control 2009, Shanghai, Chinaember 2006, Jul. 9, 2009.
-  W. Etter, P. Martin, and R. Mangharam, “Cooperative Flight Guidance of Autonomous Unmanned Aerial Vehicles,” The Second Int. Workshop on Networks of Cooperating Objects, 2011.
-  M. Rohde, V. Perlin, K. Iagnemma, S. Lupa, S. Rohde, J. Overholt, and G. Fiorani, “PointCom: Semi-Autonomous UGV Control with Intuitive Interface,” Proc. of the SPIE Conf. on Unmanned Systems Technology, 2008.
-  M. Turpin, N. Michael, and V. Kumar, “Decentralized Formation Control Variable Shapes for Aerial Robots,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, River Center, Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA, pp. 23-30, May 14-18, 2012.
-  M. Turpin, N. Michael, and V. Kumar, “Trajectory design and control for aggressive formation flight with quadrotors,” Autonomous Robot, Springer, pp. 143-156, 2012.
-  F. Kendoul, “Modélisation et commande de véhicules aériens autonomes, et développement d’un pilote automatique base sur la vision,” Ph.D. Thesis (English), Université de technologie, Compiégne, France, 26th September 2007.
-  S. Azrad, F. Kendoul, D. Perbrianti, and K. Nonami, “Visual Servoing of an Autonomous Micro Air Vehicle for Ground Object Tracking,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, St. Louis, USA, pp. 5321-5326, October 11-15, 2009.
-  D. Pebrianti, W.Wang, D. Iwakura, Y. Song, and K. Nonami, “Sliding Mode Controller for Stereo Vision Based Autonomous Flight of Quad-Rotor MAV,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 137-148, 2011.
-  F. Kendoul, I. Fantoni, and R. Lozano, “Asymptotic stability of hierarchical inner-outer loop-based flight controller,” Proc. of the 17th IFAC World Congress, Seoul, Korea, pp. 1741-1746, July 6-11, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.