Characterization of Deformable Objects by Using Dynamic Nonprehensile Manipulation
Ixchel G. Ramirez-Alpizar, Mitsuru Higashimori, and Makoto Kaneko
Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
This paper presents amethod for evaluating a physical parameter of unknown deformable objects, by using nonprehensile manipulation. By means of simulation analysis, we show that the curve representing the relationship between the object’s angular velocity and the plate’s frequency has a resonance-like response. Based on the above phenomenon, we utilize a Lorentz curve fitting to represent the object’s angular velocity as a function of the plate’s frequency with a simple mathematical expression, instead of deriving the equation of motion of the system that is rather complex due to the intricate dynamics of the system. Then, we show that the first order natural angular frequency in bending determines the frequency at which the object’s has its maximal angular velocity. Using this information, we present a method of how to estimate the object’s first order natural frequency in bending. We show the simulation and experimental results to verify the validity of the method presented.
-  K. M. Lynch and M. T. Mason, “Dynamic nonprehensile manipulation: controllability, planning, and experiments,” Int. J. Robot. Res., Vol.18, No.8, pp. 64-92, 1999.
-  A. Amagai and K. Takase, “Implementation of dynamic manipulation with visual feedback and its application to pick and place task,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Assem. Task Planning, pp. 344-350, 2001.
-  D. Reznik, E. Moshkovich, and J. Canny, “Building a universal planar manipulator,” in Proc. Workshop Dist. Manip. at Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., 1999.
-  D. Reznik and J. Canny, “C’mon part, do the local motion!,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., pp. 2235-2242, 2001.
-  K. F. Böhringer, B. Donald, and N.MacDonald, “Sensorless manipulation using massively parallel microfabricated actuator arrays,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., Vol.1, pp. 826-833, 1994.
-  K. F. Böhringer, V. Bhatt, and K. Goldberg, “Sensorless manipulation using transverse vibrations of a plate,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., pp. 1989-1986, 1995.
-  K. F. Böhringer, K. Goldberg, M. Cohn, R. Howe, and A. Pisano, “Parallel microassembly with electrostatic force fields,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., Vol.2, pp. 1204-1211, 1998.
-  T. Vose, P. Umbanhowar, and K. M. Lynch, “Friction-induced velocity fields for point parts sliding on a rigid oscillated plate,” Int. J. Robot. Res., Vol.28, No.8, pp. 1020-1039, Aug. 2009.
-  T. Vose, P. Umbanhowar, and K. M. Lynch, “Friction-induced lines of attraction and repulsion for parts sliding on a oscillated plate,” IEEE Trans. Autom. Sci. Eng., Vol.6, pp. 685-699, Oct. 2009.
-  T. Vose, P. Umbanhowar, and K. M. Lynch, “Toward the set of frictional velocity fields generable by 6-degree-of-freedom oscillatory motion of a rigid plate,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., pp. 540-547, 2010.
-  M. Higashimori, K. Utsumi, Y. Omoto, and M. Kaneko, “Dynamic manipulation inspired by the handling of a pizza peel,” IEEE Trans. Robot., Vol.25, pp. 829-838, Aug. 2009.
-  M. Higashimori, Y. Omoto, and M. Kaneko, “Non-grasp manipulation of deformable object by using pizza handling mechanism,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., Kobe, Japan, pp. 120-125, 2009.
-  I. G. Ramirez-Alpizar, M. Higashimori, M. Kaneko, C.-H. D. Tsai, and I. Kao, “Dynamic nonprehensile manipulation for rotating a thin deformable object: an analogy to bipedal gaits,” IEEE Trans. Robot., Vol.28, pp. 607-618, June 2012.
-  I. G. Ramirez-Alpizar, M. Higashimori, and M. Kaneko, “Estimation of a thin flexible object with bipedal gaits,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Autom. Sci. and Eng., Seoul, Korea, pp. 952-957, 2012.
-  S. Hirai, “Transferring human motion to mechanical manipulator in insertion of deformable tubes,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 209-213, 1998.
-  K. Salleh, H. Seki, Y. Kamiya, and M. Hikizu, “Tracing manipulation in clothes spreading by robot arms,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 564-571, 2006.
-  K. S. M. Sahari, H. Seki, Y. Kamiya, and M. Hikizu, “Passive edge tracing of deformable object by robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 458-461, 2011.
-  K. Koo, X. Jiang, A. Konno, and M. Uchiyama, “Development of a wire harness assembly motion planner for redundant multiple manipulators,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 907-918, 2011.
-  M. Moore and J. Wihelms, “Collision detection and response for computer animation,” Comput. Graphics, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 289-298, 1988.
-  J. K. Patel, C. H. Kapadia, and D. B. Owen, “Handbook of statistical distributions,” Marcel Dekker, Inc., p. 212, 1976.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.