Adaptive Gait for Dynamic Rotational Walking Motion on Unknown Non-Planar Terrain by Limb Mechanism Robot ASTERISK
Chayooth Theeravithayangkura*, Tomohito Takubo**,
Kenichi Ohara*, Yasushi Mae*, and Tatsuo Arai*
*Graduate School of Engineering Science, Osaka University, 1-3 Machikaneyama-cho, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-8531, Japan
**Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka City University, 3-3-138 Sugimoto, Sumiyoshi, Osaka City, Osaka 558-8585, Japan
An adaptive gait is proposed for dynamic rotational walking motion of multi-legged mobile robots by utilizing body angle compensation and the center of mass height control. Posture control is used to further enhance the robustness and stability of the robot based on a posture optimization database. The database is created by using a genetic algorithms in order to find the most suitable posture for each virtual plane created during body compensation in adaptive gait control. Additionally, the stability of the robot is controlled by online zero-moment point compensation and compliance control. In order to test the robustness of motion, experiments are divided into three parts: inclined-plane (linear variation), step (step variation), and obstacle (impulse variation). As a result of this research, with the proposed method, the robot could walk up and down inclined-planes with angles of 6.8° and 5.6°, respectively, and walk up and down a step and over an obstacle with a height of 20 mm.
Kenichi Ohara, Yasushi Mae, and Tatsuo Arai, “Adaptive Gait for Dynamic Rotational Walking Motion on Unknown Non-Planar Terrain by Limb Mechanism Robot ASTERISK,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.1, pp. 172-182, 2013.
-  M. Wisse, A. L. Schwab, R. Q. van der Linde, and F. C. T. van der Helm, “How to Keep From Falling Forward: Elementary Swing Leg Action for Passive Dynamic Walkers,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 393-401, 2005.
-  T. Saida, Y. Yokokohji, and T. Yoshikawa, “FSW (Feasible Solution of Wrench) for Multi-legged Robots,” In the IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics & Automation, pages 3815-3820, 2003.
-  H. Kimura and Y. Fukuoka, “Biologically Inspired Adaptive Dynamic Walking in Outdoor Environment Using a Self-contained Quadruped Robot: ‘Tekken2’,” In the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 986-991, Sendai, Japan, 2004.
-  H. Kimura, Y. Fukuoka, and K. Konaga, “Adaptive Dynamic Walking of a Quadruped Robot using a Neural System Model,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.15, No.8, pp. 859-878, 2001.
-  S. Kajita, F. Kanehiro, K. Kaneko, K. Fujiwara, K. Harada, K. Yokoi, and H. Hirukawa, “Biped Walking Pattern Generation by using Preview Control of Zero-Moment Point,” In the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1620-1626, 2003.
-  Q. Huang, Z. Peng, W. Zhang, L. Zhang, and K. Li, “Design of Humanoid Complicated Dynamic Motion Based on Human Motion Capture,” In the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3536-3541, 2005.
-  T. Sugihara, Y. Nakamura, and H. Inoue, “Realtime Humanoid Motion Generation through ZMP Manipulation based on Inverted Pendulum Control,” In the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1404-1409, 2002.
-  S. Kajita and K. Tani, “Adaptive Gait Control of Biped Robot Based on Realtime Sensing of the Ground Profile,” the Autonomous Robots, Vol.4, pp. 297-305, 1996.
-  J. C.Wu and Z. Popović, “Terrain-adaptive bipedal locomotion control,” ACM Trans. on Graphics, Vol.29, No.4, pp. 72:1-72:10, 2010.
-  Y. Sugahara, Y. Mikuriya, K. Hashimoto, T. Hosobata, H. Sunazuka, M. Kawase, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Walking Control Method of Biped Locomotors on Inclined Plane,” In the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1989-1994, 2005.
-  C. Theeravithayangkura, T. Takubo, K. Ohara, Y. Mae, and T. Arai, “Dynamic Rotational Walking Motion on Inclined-plane with Posture Optimization by Genetic Algorithms,” In the IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 1977-1982, 2011.
-  C. Theeravithayangkura, T. Takubo, K. Ohara, Y. Mae, and T. Arai, “Dynamic Rolling-Walk Motion by the Limb Mechanism Robot ASTERISK,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.25, pp. 75-91, 2011.
-  W. Chen, K. H. Low, and S. H. Yeo, “Adaptive gait planning for multi-legged robots with an adjustment of center-of-gravity,” Robotica, Vol.17, No.4 pp. 391-403, 1999.
-  H. Adachi, N. Koyachi, T. Nakamura, and E. Nakano, “Development of Quadruped Walking Robots and Their Gait Study,” In the J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.5, No.6, pp. 548-560, 1993.
-  S. Kajita, F. Kanehiro, K. Kaneko, K. Fujiwara, K. Harada, K. Yokoi, and H. Hirukawa, “Resolved Momentum Control: Humanoid Motion Planning based on the Linear and Angular Momentum,” In the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1644-1650, 2003.
-  K. Kamikawa, T. Arai, T. Takubo, and K. Inoue, “Expansion of movable area of multi legged robot by rotational gait,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.28, No.2, pp. 231-240, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  M. Ogino, H. Toyama, and M. Asada, “Stabilizing Biped Walking on Rough Terrain based on the Compliance Control,” In the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4047-4052, 2007.
-  H. Lim, S. A. Setiawan, and A. Takanishi, “Balance and Impedance Control for Biped Humanoid Robot Locomotion,” In the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 494-499, 2001.
-  K. Taguchi, Y. Momoi, and K. Yamafuji, “Dynamic Walking Control of the One-Legged Robot With Controlling Rotor (Directional Walking with Yaw Angle Control),” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 298-303, 1999.
-  K. Yamafuji, Y. Takemura, and H. Fujimoto, “Dynamic Walking Control of the One-Legged Robot With Controlling Rotor,” In the J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 480-489, 1992.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.