New Method of Evaluating Muscular Strength of Lower Limb Using MEMS Acceleration and Gyro Sensors
Shinsuke Yoshioka*1, Akinori Nagano*2, Dean C. Hay*3,
Izumi Tabata*1, Tadao Isaka*1, Motoyuki Iemitsu*1,
and Senshi Fukashiro*4
*1Faculty of Sport and Health Science, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Nojihigashi, Kusatsu city, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
*2Department of Computational Science, Kobe University, Japan
*3School of Physical and Health Education, Nipissing University, Ontario, Canada
*4Department of Life Sciences (Sports Sciences), The University of Tokyo, Japan
-  H. Degens and S. E. Alway, “Control of muscle size during disuse, disease, and aging,” Int. J. of Sports Medicine, Vol.27, pp. 94-99, 2006.
-  T. Rantanen, “Muscle strength, disability and mortality,” Scandinavian J. of Medicine and Science in Sports, Vol.13, pp. 3-8, 2003.
-  R. H. Whipple, L. I. Wolfson, and P. M. Amerman, “The relationship of knee and ankle weakness to falls in nursing home residents: an isokinetic study,” J. of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.35, pp. 13-20, 1987.
-  L. Larsson, G. Grimby, and J. Karlsson, “Muscle Strength And Speed Of Movement In Relation To Age And Muscle Morphology,” J. of Applied Physiology, Vol.46, pp. 451-456, 1979.
-  N. D. Reeves, M. V. Narici, and C. N. Maganaris, “Effect of resistance training on skeletal muscle-specific force in elderly humans,” J. of Applied Physiology, Vol.96, pp. 885-892, 2004.
-  S. D. R. Harridge, A. Kryger, and A. Stensgaard, “Knee extensor strength, activation, and size in very elderly people following strength training,” Muscle & Nerve, Vol.22, pp. 831-839, 1999.
-  T. Cotte and J. M. Ferret, “Comparative study of two isokinetics dynamometers: CYBEX NORM vs CON-TREX MJ,” Isokinetics and Exercise Science, Vol.11, pp. 37-43, 2003.
-  J. Schlicht, D. N. Camaione, and S. V. Owen, “Effect of intense strength training on standing balance, walking speed, and sit-to-stand performance in older adults,” J. of Gerontology. Series A-Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, Vol.56, pp. M281-M286, 2001.
-  R. W. Bohannon, “Sit-to-stand test for measuring performance of lower extremity muscles,” Perceptual and Motor Skills, Vol.80, pp. 163-166, 1995.
-  C. J. Jones, R. E. Rikli, and W. C. Beam, “A 30-s chair-stand test as a measure of lower body strength in community-residing older adults,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, Vol.70, pp. 113- 119, 1999.
-  M. Csuka and D. J. McCarty, “Simple Method For Measurement Of Lower-Extremity Muscle Strength,” American J. of Medicine, Vol.78, pp. 77-81, 1985.
-  J. O. Judge, R. H.Whipple, and L. I. Wolfson, “Effects of Resistive and Balance Exercises on Isokinetic Strength in Older Persons,” J. of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.42, pp. 937-946, 1994.
-  R. W. Bohannon, D. Hull, and D. Palmeri, “Muscle Strength Impairments and Gait Performance Deficits in Kidney-Transplantation Candidates,” American J. of Kidney Diseases, Vol.24, pp. 480-485, 1994.
-  M. W. Rodosky, T. P. Andriacchi, and G. B. J. Andersson, “The Influence Of Chair Height On Lower-Limb Mechanics During Rising,” J. of Orthopaedic Research, Vol.7, pp. 266-271, 1989.
-  L. L. Ploutz-Snyder, T. Manini, R. J. Ploutz-Snyder, and D. A.Wolf, “Functionally relevant thresholds of quadriceps femoris strength,” J. of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, Vol.57, pp. B144-B152, 2002.
-  N. B. Alexander, A. B. Schultz, and D. N. Warwick, “Rising From A Chair – Effects Of Age And Functional Ability On Performance Biomechanics,” J. of Gerontology, Vol.46, pp. M91-M98, 1991.
-  A. B. Schultz, “Muscle function and mobility biomechanics in the elderly: an overview of some recent research,” J. of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, Vol.50, Spec. No., pp. 60-63, 1995.
-  D. Podsiadlo and S. Richardson, “The Timed up and Go – a Test of Basic Functional Mobility for Frail Elderly Persons,” J. of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.39, pp. 142-148, 1991.
-  S. Yoshioka, A. Nagano, R. Himeno, and S. Fukashiro, “Computation of the kinematics and the minimum peak joint moments of sit-to-stand movements,” Biomedical Engineering Online, Vol.6, No.26, pp. 1-14, 2007.
-  S. Yoshioka, A. Nagano, D. C. Hay, and S. Fukashiro, “Biomechanical analysis of the relation between movement time and joint moment development during a sit-to-stand task,” Biomedical Engineering Online, Vol.8, No.27, pp. 1-9, 2009.
-  S. Yoshioka, A. Nagano, D. C. Hay, and S. Fukashiro, “The minimum required muscle force for a sit-to-stand task,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.45, pp. 699-705, 2012.
-  S. Yoshioka, “Computer simulation studies on the biomechanics of human leg extension movements,” Dissertation, The university of Tokyo, 2008.
-  S. R. Lord, S. M. Murray, K. Chapman, B. Munro, and A. Tiedemann, “Sit-to-stand performance depends on sensation, speed, balance, and psychological status in addition to strength in older people,” J. of Gerontology. Series A-Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, Vol.57, pp. M539-M543, 2002.
-  P. de Leva, “Adjustments to Zatsiorsky-Seluyanov’s segment inertia parameters,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.29, pp. 1223-1230, 1996.
-  T. F. Besier, D. L. Sturnieks, J. A. Alderson, and D. G. Lloyd, “Repeatability of gait data using a functional hip joint centre and a mean helical knee axis,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.36, pp. 1159-1168, 2003.
-  S. A. Jubrias, I. R. Odderson, P. C. Esselman, and K. E. Conley, “Decline in isokinetic force with age: Muscle cross-sectional area and specific force,” Pflugers Archiv-European J. of Physiology, Vol.434, pp. 246-253, 1997.
-  V. A. Hughes, W. R. Frontera, M. Wood, W. J. Evans, G. E. Dallal, R. Roubenoff, and M. A. Fiatarone Singh, “Longitudinal muscle strength changes in older adults: influence of muscle mass, physical activity, and health,” J. of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, Vol.56, pp. B209-B217, 2001.
-  A. Young, “Exercise Physiology in Geriatric Practice,” ActaMedica Scandinavica Supplementum, Vol.711, pp. 227-232, 1986.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.