Development of Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs: PLEMO-P3 System for Hemiplegic Subject (Motor Function Test for Assessment and Training, and Research for Development of Practical Type)
Takuya Ozawa*1, Junji Furusho*2, Takehito Kikuchi*3,
Kazuki Fukushima*4, Sosuke Tanida*5, and Takamitsu Fujikawa*5
*1Socio-Medical Corporation Kyowakai, Kano General Hospital, 7-5-15 Tenjinbashi, Kitaku, Osaka 531-0041, Japan
*2Faculty of Engineering, Fukui University of Technology, 3-6-1 Gakuen, Fukui, Fukui 910-8505, Japan
*3Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Yamagata University, 4-3-16 Jonan, Yonezawa-shi, Yamagata 992-8510, Japan
*4Proctor and Gamble Japan Baby Care Engineering, 6 Minami, Futami, Futami-cho, Akashi 674-0093, Japan
*5Bukkyo University, Japan
-  I. Miyai, H. Yagura, I. Oda, I. Konishi, H. Eda, T. Suzuki, and K. Kubota, “Premotor Cortex Is Involved in Restoration of Gait in Stroke,” Annals of Neurology, Vol.52, No.2, pp. 188-194, 2002.
-  H. I. Krebs, B. T. Volpe et al. “Increasing productivity and quality of care: Robot-aided neuron rehabilitation,” J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.37, No.6, pp. 639-652, 2000.
-  R. C. V. Loureiro and W. S. Harwin, “Reach & Grasp Therapy: Design and Control of a 9-DOF Robotic Neuro-rehabilitation System,” Proc. of the IEEE 10th Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 757-763, 2007.
-  Y. Takahashi, T. Terada, K. Inoue, Y. Ito, H. Lee, and T. Komeda, “Upper-limbs rehabilitation Exercises using haptic device system,” Int. J. of Human-friendly Welfare Robotics Systems, pp. 18-22, 2003.
-  L. Q. Zhang, H. S. Park, and Y. Ren, “Developing An Intelligent Robotic Arm for Stroke Rehabilitation,” Proc. of the IEEE 10th Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 984-994, 2007.
-  J. C. Perry, J. Rosen, and S. Burns, “Upper-Limb Powered Exoskeleton Design,” IEEE Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.12, pp. 408-417. 2007.
-  E. T. Wolbrecht, J. Leavitt, D. J. Reinkensmeyer, and J. E. Bobrow, “Control of a pneumatic orthosis for upper extremity stroke rehabilitation,” Proc. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conf., pp. 2687-2693, 2006.
-  T. Nef, M. Mihelj, G. Kiefer, C. Perndl, R. Muller, and R. Reiner, “ARMin – Exoskeleton for arm therapy in stroke patients,” Proc. of the IEEE 10th Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 68-74, 2007.
-  J. Furusho, K. Koyanagi, J. Kataoka, U. Ryu, A. Inoue, and S. Takenaka, “Development of 3-D rehabilitation system for upper limb-1st report: Development of mechanism including ER Actuators and whole system,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 629-636, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Jin, T. Kikuchi, K. Fukushima, H. Akai, and J. Furusho, “Quasi-3 DOF Active-Passive Hybrid Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs “Hybrid-PLEMO,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, C, Vol.74, No.745, pp. 2099-2106, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  J. Furusho, M. Sakaguchi, N. Takesue, and K. Koyanagi, “Development of ER Brake and its Application to Passive Force Display,” J. of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol.13, No.7/8, pp. 425-429, 2002.
-  T. Kikuchi, J. Furusho, J. Ying, H. Xinghao, K. Fukushima, and A. Inoue, “Development of the Quasi-3-DOF Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs, “PLEMO”,” Japanese J. for Medical Virtual Reality, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 24-31, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kikuchi, K. Oda, H. Xinghao, K. Fukushima, J. Furusho, and A. Inoue, “Study of Quasi-3DOF Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs “PLEMO”, and its Software,” Trans. of the Virtual Reality Society of Japan, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 79-87, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  J. Furusho and T. Kikuchi, “Applications of robot technology to rehabilitation system for upper/lower limbs,” Sogo Rihabiriteshon, Vol.35, No.5, pp. 439-445, 2007.
-  J. Furusho and M. Haraguchi, “Training aided by Rehabilitation robot for upper limbs using robotics, VR and physical therapy technology, and its evaluation including brain activity,” Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Vol.33, No.2, pp. 109-116, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  M. Haraguchi and J. Furusho, “Basic Research of “MR-PLEMO” 2-D Passive-type Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs Using MR Fluid Brake,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics (Special Issue on Medical Science and Engineering Cooperation), Vol.24, No.5, pp. 743-753, 2012.
-  S. Ueda, “Stroke Rehabilitation Illustrated,” University of Tokyo Press, pp. 6-11, 1981 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kosaka, “Functional Evaluation from the Clinical Neurological Standpoint,” Rigakuryoho Kagaku, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 129-134, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  S. Fuziwara, “Upper extremity function in patients with stroke,” Sogo Rihabiriteshon, Vol.35, No.11, pp. 1303-1308, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  J. Furusho, “Mechatronics System Using ER Fluid,” J. of the Japan Hydraulics & Pneumatics Society, Vol.32, No.6, pp. 390-395, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  T. Ozawa, T. Kikuchi, K. Fukushima, T. Fukuda, S. Tanida, T. Fujikawa, S. Kano, H. Akai, and J. Furusho, “Initial Clinical Tests for Assessment Models of Synergy Movements of Stroke Patients Using PLEMO System with Sensor Grip Device,” Proc. of The 2009 IEEE 11th Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR 2009, USB-Memory), pp. 873-878, 2009.
-  S. Brunnstrom, “Movement therapy in hemiplegia,” A neurophysiological approach, Harper & Row, New York, 1970.
-  A. Fugl-Meyer, L. Jaasko, I. Leyman et al., “The post-stroke hemiplegic patient: A method of evaluation of physical performance,” Scand. J. Rehabil. Med., Vol.7, pp. 13-31, 1975.
-  C. Terada, “Simple Test for Evaluating Hand Function (STEF),” Japanese J. of Occupation Therapy, Vol.38, No.7, pp. 681-686, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  H. Mochiduki, “Impairments and their Assessment in Stroke Patients,” Rigakuryoho kagaku, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 33-38, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Fukui, K. Inoue, and K. Tunehisa, “Development of an Apparatus for Hand Dexterity Evaluation – Study of a Clinical Adaptation –,” Kawasaki Medical Welfare J., Vol.17, No.2, pp. 389-394, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kawahira, A. Ogata, S. Tougou, H. Yumiba, Y. Shirahama, and N. Tanaka, “Functional Recovery of a Hemiplegic Leg by Intensive Exercise Therapy Focus on Freedom from Synergy,” The Japanese J. of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.34, No.9, pp. 598-604, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  M. Kawauchi and M. Mochimaru, “AIST/HQL Measure of human body and shape data base 2003,” National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, H18PRO-503, 2006.
-  J. Furusho, “(Preface) Rehabilitation Robots for Upper Limbs and Their full Proliferation,” Sogo Rehabilitation, Vol.38, No.12, p. 1117, 2010.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] General condition of national medical expenditure in 2005, Home Page of Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, Japan
-  [b] General condition of patients survey in 2005, Home Page of Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, Japan
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.