Robust Visual Servoing for Object Manipulation Against Temporary Loss of Sensory Information Using a Multi-Fingered Hand-Arm
Akihiro Kawamura, Kenji Tahara, Ryo Kurazume,
and Tsutomu Hasegawa
Kyushu University, 744 Motooka, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka 819-0395, Japan
This paper proposes a robust visual servoing method for object manipulation against temporary loss of sensory information. It is known that visual information is useful for reliable object grasping and precise manipulation. Visual information becomes unavailable, however when occlusion occurs or a grasped object disappears during manipulation. In that case, the behavior of the visual servoing system becomes unstable. Our proposed method enables an object to be grasped and manipulated stably even if visual information is temporarily unavailable during manipulation. This method is based on dynamic stable object grasping and manipulation proposed in our previous work and the concept of virtual object information. A dynamic model of the overall system is first formulated. A new controller using both actual and virtual object information is proposed next. The usefulness of this method is finally verified through both numerical simulation and experiments using a triple-fingered mechanical hand.
-  L. E.Weiss, A. C. Sanderson, and C. P. Neuman, “Dynamic sensorbased control of robots with visual feedback,” IEEE Trans. on Robot. and Automation, Vol.3, No.5, pp. 404-417, 1987.
-  J. T. Feddema and O. R. Mitchell, “Vision-guided servoing with feature-based trajectory generation,” IEEE Trans. on Robot. and Automation, Vol.5, No.5, pp. 691-700, 1989.
-  S. Hutchinson, G. D. Hager, and P. I. Corke, “A tutorial on visual servo control,” IEEE Trans. on Robot. and Automation, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 651-670, 1996.
-  F. Chaumentte and S. A. Hutchinson, “Visual servo control. Part I: Basic approaches,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol.4, No.13, pp. 82-90, 2006.
-  F. Chaumentte and S. A. Hutchinson, “Visual servo control. Part II: Advanced approaches,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol.1, No.14, pp. 109-118, 2007.
-  F. Chaumentte and S. A. Hutchinson, “Visual servoing and visual tracking,” Springer Handbook of Robotics, Chap.24, pp. 563-583, 2008.
-  L. Deng, F. Janabi-Sharifi, and W. J. Wilson, “Hybrid motion control and planning strategies for visual servoing,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.52, No.4, pp. 1024-1040, 2005.
-  N. R. Gans and S. A. Hutchinson, “Stable visual servoing through hybrid switched-system control,” IEEE Trans. on Robotbotics, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 530-540, 2007.
-  K. Honda, T. Hasegawa, T. Kiriki, and T. Matsuoka, “Real-time pose estimation of an object manipulated by multi-fingered hand using 3D stereo vision and tactile sensing,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Victoria, B.C., Canada, pp. 1814-1819, 1998.
-  Y. Yokokohji, M. Sakamoto, and T. Yoshikawa, “Vision-aided object manipulation by a multifingered hand with soft fingertips,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Automat., Detroit, Michigan, pp. 3201-3208, May 1999.
-  R. Ozawa and Y. Oobayashi, “Adaptive task-space PD control for manipulators by the implicit visual feedback,” Proc. of the 27th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Yokohama, Japan, 3M1-01, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  C. C. Cheah and J. J. E. Slotine, “Task-space Setpoint Control of Robots with Dual Task-space Information,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Automat., Kobe, Japan, pp. 3706-3711, 2009.
-  K. Tahara, S. Arimoto, and M. Yoshida, “Dynamic object manipulation using a virtual frame by a triple soft-fingered robotic hand,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Automat., Anchorage, AK, pp. 4322-4327, May 2010.
-  T. Wimböck, C. Ott, and G. Hirzinger, “Passivity-based Object-Level Impedance Control for a Multifingered Hand,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Beijing, China, pp. 4621-4627, 2006.
-  A. Kawamura, K. Tahara, R. Kurazume, and T. Hasegawa, “Dynamic grasping for an arbitrary polyhedral object by a multifingered hand-arm system,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, St. Louis, Missouri, pp. 2264-2270, 2009.
-  A. Kawamura, K. Tahara, R. Kurazume, and T. Hasegawa, “Dexterous object manipulation by a human-like hand-arm system with unified controller,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Biomim., Tianjin, China, pp. 1542-1548, 2010.
-  S. Arimoto, “Control Theory of Multi-fingered Hands. A Modelling and Analytical-Mechanics Approach for Dexterity and Intelligence,” Springer, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.