Development of Active 3-DOF Rotational Ball Joint with Hollow Shaft Motors
Yong Yu*, Yoshitaka Narita*, Yoshinori Harada**,
and Toshimi Nakao**
*Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Kagoshima University, 1-21-40 Korimoto, Kagoshima 890-0065, Japan
**Techno Xross Kyushu Corporation, Kirishima, 6-31 Kokubu-Uenohara Techno Park, Kirishima, Kagoshima 899-4317, Japan
This paper develops an active 3-DOF rotational ball joint with a simple and compact mechanism where three hollow shaft motors are used. The ball joint realizes rotation around an omnidirectional rotational axis with good manipulability and changes its direction of rotational axis smoothly and freely when it is on rotating. The mechanical principle of this joint is proposed and analyzed, then the ball joint is developed with good dynamics and low friction, and experimental verification of the proposed mechanism is performed. The effectiveness of the mechanism principle is outlined by experimental results.
-  K. Ozaki, T. Yano, M. Takeda, and Y. Ishikawa, “Trial Making of Ball Bearings with Three Degrees of Freedom,” J. of Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, Vol.51, No.61, pp. 167-171, 1997.
-  S. Noguchi, T. Kanada, M. Ohnuki, and F. Suzuki, “Prototype and evaluation of performance for pivot bearings with multiple degrees of freedom,” Proc. of the 1st Int. Conf. on Design Engineering and Science, pp. 49-54, 2005.
-  D. Cox and D. Tesar, “The Dynamic Model of a Three-Degree-of-Freedom Parallel Robotic Shoulder Module,” Proc. of the 4th Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, pp. 475-487, 1989.
-  P. Vischer and R. Clavel, “Argos: A Novel 3-DOF Parallel Wrist Mechanism,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.19, No.1, pp. 5-11, 2000.
-  C. M. Gosselin and J. F. Hamel, “The Agile Eye: A High-Performance Three-Degree-of-Freedom Camera-Orienting Device,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp. 781-786, 2002.
-  X. King and C. M. Gosselin, “Type Synthesis of 3-DOF Spherical Parallel Manipulators,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 237-245, 2004.
-  M. Okada and Y. Nakamura, “Development of a Cybernetic Shoulder – A Three-DOF Mechanism That Imitates Biological Shoulder Motion –,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 438-443, 2005.
-  W.-J. Yu, C.-F. Huang, and W.-H. Chieng, “Workspace and Dexterity Analyses of the Delta Hexaglide Platform,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 7-17, 2008.
-  P.-L.Wu, Y.-H. Chang, C.-S. Liao, andW.-H. Chieng, “Design for a 2-DOF Motion Platform,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 19-33, 2011.
-  S.-H. Lee, W.-K. Kim, M. Oh, and B.-J. Yi, “Kinematic Analysis and Implementation of a Spherical 3-Degree-of-Freedom Parallel Mechanism,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.1, pp. 809-814, 2005.
-  Y. Sugahara, G. Carbone, K. Hashimoto, M. Ceccarelli, H.-O. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Experimental Stiffness Measurement of WL-16RII Biped Walking Vehicle During Walking Operation,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 272-280, 2007.
-  Y. Ota, T. Tamaki, K. Yoneda, and S. Hirose, “Development of Walking Manipulator with Versatile Locomotion,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. of Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp. 477-483, 2003.
-  K. Tadakuma, R. Tadakuma, and J. Berengueres, “Tetrahedral Mobile Robot with Spherical Omnidirectional Wheel,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 125-134, 2008.
-  T. Tsuji, K. Harada, K. Kaneko, F. Kanehiro, and K. Maruyama, “Grasp Planning for a Multifingered Hand with a Humanoid Robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 230-238, 2010.
-  Y. Sekiguchi, Y. Kobayashi, Y. Tomono, H. Watanabe, K. Toyoda, K. Konishi, M. Tomikawa, S. Ieiri, K. Tanoue, M. Hashizume, and M. G. Fujie, “Development of a Tool Manipulator Driven by a Flexible Shaft for Single-Port Endoscopic Surgery,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 1115-1124, 2011.
-  T. Mashimo and S. Toyama, “MRI-Compatibility of a Manipulator using a Spherical Ultrasonic Motor,” Proc. of the 12th World Congress in Mechanism and Machine Science, ck-350, 2007.
-  T. Mashimo, K. Awaga, and S. Toyama, “Development of a Spherical Ultrasonic Motor with an Attitude Sensing System using Optical Fibersr,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automatione, pp. 4466-4471, 2007.
-  Y. Yu, T. Ishitsuka, and S. Tsujio, “Torque Sensing of Finger Joint using Strain-Deformation Expansion Mechanism,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. of Robotics and Automation, Vol.2, pp. 1850-1856, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.