Haptic Augmentation Utilizing the Reaction Force of a Base Object
Yuichi Kurita*, Atsutoshi Ikeda**, Kazuyuki Nagata***,
and Tsukasa Ogasawara**
*Faculty of Engineering, Hiroshima University, 1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
**Graduate School of Information Science, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, 8916-5 Takayama, Ikoma, Nara 630-0192, Japan
***National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8568, Japan
-  Y. Yokokohji, N. Muramori, Y. Sato, and T. Yoshikawa, “Designing an encountered-type haptic display for multiple fingertip contacts based on the observation of human grasping behavior,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.24, No.9, pp. 717-729, 2005.
-  G. Hwang, P. Chantanakajornfung, and H. Hashimoto, “Versatile robotic biomanipulation with haptic interface,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.5, pp. 585-591, 2007.
-  M. C. Yip,M. Tavakoli, and R. D. Howe, “Performance analysis of a haptic telemanipulation task under time delay,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.25, pp. 651-673, 2011.
-  I. Sharp, J. Patton, M. Listenberger, and E. Case, “Haptic/graphic rehabilitation: Integrating a robot into a virtual environment library and applying it to stroke therapy,” J. of Visualized Experiments, Vol.54, 2007.
-  P. Lam, D. Hebert, J. Boger, H. Lacheray, D. Gardner, J. Apkarian, and A. Mihailidis, “A haptic-robotic platform for upper-limb reaching stroke therapy: Preliminary design and evaluation results,” J. of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, Vol.5, No.15, 2008.
-  C. Mendoza, K. Sundaraj, and C. Laugier, “Faithful haptic feedback in medical simulators,” In Int. Symposium on Experimental Robotics, pp. 414-423, 2002.
-  T. R. Coles, D. Meglan, and N. W. John, “The role of haptics in medical training simulators: A survey of the state-of-the-art,” IEEE Trans. on Haptics, Vol.19, pp. 51-66, 2010.
-  W. Wu and P. A. Heng, “An improved scheme of an interactive finite element model for 3d soft-tissue cutting and deformation,” The Visual Computer, Vol.21, Issue 8-10, pp. 707-716, 2005.
-  C. Choi, J. Kim, H. Han, B. Ahn, and J. Kim, “Graphic and haptic modeling of the oesophagus for vr-based medical simulation,” Int. J. of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 257-266, 2009.
-  Y. J. Lim, D. Deo, T. P. Singh, D. B. Jones, and S. De, “In situ measurement and modeling of biomechanical response of human cadaveric soft tissues for physics-based surgical simulation,” Int. J. of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 1298-1307, 2009.
-  B. Knorlein, M. Di Luca, and M. Harders, “Influence of visual and haptic delays on stiffness perception in augmented reality,” In Int. Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, pp. 49-52, 2009.
-  M. D. Luca, B. Knorlein, M. O. Ernst, and M. Harders, “Effects of visual haptic asynchronies and loading unloading movements on compliance perception,” Brain Research Bulletin, Vol.85, No.5, pp. 245-259, 2010.
-  M. Vicentini and D. Botturi, “Perceptual Issues Improve Haptic Systems Performance,” Chapter 22, pp. 415-436, In-Tech, 2010.
-  K. Nagata, M. Tada, H. Iwasaki, and Y. Kida, “Development of haptic recorder 1st report: Development of basic system,” In SICE System Integration Symposium, pp. 484-485, 2006.
-  K. Nagata, M. Tada, H. Iwasaki, and Y. Kida, “Development of haptic recorder 2nd report: Constructing a virtual object model based on actual measurement,” In SICE System Integration Symposium, pp. 11-12, 2007.
-  S. Jeon, S. Choi, and M. Harders, “Rendering virtual tumors in real tissue mock-up using haptic augmented reality,” IEEE Trans. on Haptics, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 77-84, 2012.
-  A.W. Freeman and K. O. Johnson, “A model accounting for effects of vibratory amplitude on responses of cutaneous mechanoreceptors in macaque monkey,” J. of Physiology, Vol.323, pp. 42-64, 1982.
-  S. J. Bolanowski, G. A. Gescheider, R. T. Verrillo, and C.M. Checkosky, “Four channels mediate the mechanical aspects of touch,” J. of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol.84, pp. 1680-1694, 1988.
-  S. Okamoto, M. Konyo, and S. Tadokoro, “Vibrotactile stimuli applied to finger pads as biases for perceived inertial and viscous loads,” IEEE Trans. on Haptics, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 307-315, 2011.
-  Y. Kurita, A. Ikeda, J. Ueda, and T. Ogasawara, “A fingerprint pointing device utilizing the deformation of the fingertip during the incipient slip,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 801-811, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.