Circular Leader-Follower Formation Control of Quad-Rotor Aerial Vehicles
Mohammad Fadhil Bin Abas*, Dwi Pebrianti*, Syaril Azrad Md. Ali*,
Daisuke Iwakura*, Yuze Song*, Kenzo Nonami**,
and Daigo Fujiwara**
*Department of Artificial System Science, Graduate School of Engineering, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
This paper describes the leader-follower formation control using two different approaches which are the PID leader-follower formation control (PID-LFFC) and Sliding Mode Control leader-follower formation control (SMC-LFFC). The strategy used in this paper is to apply the control algorithm for conducting a circular motion. This task is known to be important since a trajectory is a combination of movement. This movement can be divided into straight or curve lines. Curves lines or circular motion is essential for obstacle avoidance and also for turning movement. The curves lines or circular motion gives lower trajectory distance than only using straight or angled lines. Based on the experimental result, it is seen that the performance of the algorithm is reliable. When using SMC-LFFC over the PID-LFFC, the leader to follower distance error is 30% smaller and has a high 70% occurrence at 0 errors. Additionally, this research is known to be the first conducted in Japan.
Daisuke Iwakura, Yuze Song, Kenzo Nonami, and
and Daigo Fujiwara, “Circular Leader-Follower Formation Control of Quad-Rotor Aerial Vehicles,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.1, pp. 60-71, 2013.
-  Y. Q. Chen and Z. Wang, “Formation control: a review and a new consideration,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2005 (IROS 2005), pp. 3181-3186, August 2-6, 2005.
-  Y. Gu, B. Seanor, G. Campa, M. R. Napolitano, L. Rowe, S. Gururajan, and S. Wan, “Design and Flight Testing Evaluation of Formation Control Laws,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology (Journal), Vol.14, Issue 6, pp. 1105-1112, 2006.
-  B. Vanek, T. Peni, J. Bokor, and G. Balas, “Practical approach to real-time trajectory tracking of UAV formations,” Proc. of the American Control Conf., Vol.1, pp. 122-127, 2005.
-  D. Nakazawa, S. Suzuki, S. Sakai, and K. Nonami, “Formation Flight Control of Small Unmanned Helicopters,” Trans. of The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.74, No.747, pp. 2737-2746, 2008.
-  N. Kubota, Y. Nojima, F. Kojima, T. Fukuda, and S. Shibata, “Path Planning and Control for a Flexible Transfer System,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 103-109, 2000.
-  M. F. Abas, S. Azrad, D. Pebrianti, D. Iwakura, Y. Song, K. Nonami, and D. Fujiwara, “Leader-Follower Formation Control of Multiple Quad-rotor Aerial Vehicles,” The Int. Conf. on Intelligent Unmanned Systems 2011 (ICIUS2011), Mitsui Garden Hotel Chiba, Chiba, Japan, Oct. 31 to Nov. 2, 2011.
-  M. F. Abas, S. Azrad, D. Pebrianti, and K. Nonami, “Formation Flight Control for MAV by Using Fully Embedded Vision Tracking,” The 53rd Japan JOINT Automatic Control Conf., Castle Hall, Kochi, November 4-6, 2010.
-  N. Lechevin, C. A. Rabbath and E. Earon, “Towards Decentralized Fault Detection in UAV Formations,” Proc. of the 2007 American Control Conf., Marriott Marquls Hotel at Times Square, New York City, USA, pp. 5759-5764, July 11-13, 2007.
-  B. Yun, B.M. Chen, K. Y. Lum, and T. H. Lee, “A Leader-Follower Formation Flight Control Scheme for UAV Helicopters,” Prec. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Automation and Logistics, Qingdao, pp. 39-44, China, September 2008.
-  W. Etter, P. Martin, and R. Mangharam, “Cooperative Flight Guidance of Autonomous Unmanned Aerial Vehicles,” The Second Int. Workshop on Networks of Cooperating Objects, 2011.
-  Y. Gu, B. Seanor, G. Campa, M. R. Napolitano, L. Rowe, S. Gururajan, and S.Wen, “Design and Flight Testing Evaluation of Formation Control Laws,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.14, No.6, pp. 1105-1112, November 2006.
-  B. Ganesh and N. Komerath, “Unsteady Aerodynamics of Rotorcraft in Ground Effect,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Paper 2004-2431, Fluid Dynamics Meeting, Portland, OR, pp. 1-18, June 2004.
-  D. P. Pulla, “A Study of Helicopter Aerodynamics in Ground Effect,” Ph.D. Dissertation, The Ohio State University, 2006.
-  S. Azrad, F. Kendoul, D. Perbrianti, and K. Nonami, “Visual Servoing of an Autonomous Micro Air Vehicle for Ground Object Tracking,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5321-5326, St. Louis, USA, October 11-15, 2009.
-  D. Pebrianti, W.Wang, D. Iwakura, Y. Song, and K. Nonami, “Sliding Mode Controller for Stereo Vision Based Autonomous Flight of Quad-Rotor MAV,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 137-148, 2011.
-  K. H. Ang, G. Chong, and Y. Li, “PID Control System Analysis, Design, and Technology,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.13, No.4, pp. 559-576, July 2005.
-  S. Boubdallah, P. Murrieri, and R. Siegwart, “Design and Control of an Indoor Micro Quadrotor,” In Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4393-4398, April 2004.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.