A Portable Arthroscopic Diagnostic Probe to Measure the Viscoelasticity of Articular Cartilage
Naohiko Sugita*1, Toru Kizaki*1, Daisuke Kanno*2,
Nobuhiro Abe*3, Yusuke Yokoyama*4, Toshifumi Ozaki*3,
and Mamoru Mitsuishi*1
*1School of Engineering, the University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
*2Toyota Motor Corporation, 1 Toyota-cho, Toyota, Aichi 471-8571, Japan
*3Department of Intelligent Orthopaedic System, Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama University, 2-5-1 Shikata-cho, Kita-ku, Okayama-shi, Okayama 700-8558, Japan
*4Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tottori Municipal Hospital, 1-1 Matoba, Tottori-shi, Tottori 680-0873, Japan
-  A. J. Bollet and J. L. Nance, “Biochemical Findings in Normal and Osteoarthritic Articular Cartilage. II. Chondroitin Sulfate Concentration and Chain Length, Water, and Ash Content,” J. of Clinical Investigation, Vol.45, No.7, pp. 1170-1177, 1966.
-  G. A. Ateshian, W. H. Warden, J. J. Kim, R. P. Grelsamer, and V. C. Mow, “Finite Deformation Biphasic Material Properties of Bovine Articular Cartilage from Confined Compression Experiments,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.30, No.11/12, pp. 1157-1164, 1997.
-  A. F. Mak, W. M. Lai, and V. C. Mow, “Biphasic Indentation of Articular cartilage – I. Theoretical Analysis,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.20, No.7, pp. 703-714, 1987.
-  V. C. Mow,M. C. Gibbs, W.M. Lai, W. B. Zhu, and K. A. Athanasiou, “Biphasic Indentation of Articular Cartilage – II. A Numerical Algorithm and an Experimental Study,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.22, No.8/9, pp. 853-861, 1989.
-  C. C-B. Wang, C. T. Hung, and V. C. Mow, “An Analysis of the Effects of Depth-dependent Aggregate Modulus on Articular Cartilage Stress-relaxation Behavior in Compression,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.34, pp. 75-84, 2001.
-  N. Tanaka, M. Higashimori, and M, Kaneko, “Analysis of Inverse Problem for Estimating Parameters of Tissues,” Proc. of Annual Meeting of the Japan Society forMechanical Engineers 2007, Vol.5, pp. 515-516, 2007.
-  M. Morita, “Bio-constants for Modeling of Articular Cartilage,” J. of the Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 209-215, 1993.
-  K. Hattori, K. Mori, T. Habata, Y. Takakura, and K. Ikeuchi, “Measurement of the Mechanical Condition of Articular Cartilage with an Ultrasonic Probe: Quantitative Evaluation Using Wavelet Transformation,” Clinical Biomechanics, Vol.18, pp. 553-557, 2003.
-  M. Takenaka, T. Ohashi, H. Naka, K. Hattori, T. Habata, Y. Takakura, and K. Ikeuchi, “Ultrasonic evaluation of articular cartilage degeneration,” 16th Bioengineering Conf., 2004 Annual Meeting of BED/JSME, pp. 381-382, 2004.
-  C. W. Kieser and R. W. Jackson, “Eugen Bircher (1882-1956) The First Knee Surgeon to Use Diagnostic Arthroscopy,” Arthroscopy: The J. of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, Vol.19, No.7, pp. 771-776, 2003.
-  R. N. Stiles, “Frequency and displacement amplitude relations for normal hand tremor,” J. of Applied Physiology, Vol.40, Issue 1, pp. 44-54, 1976.
-  W. T. Ang, C. N. Rivier, and P. K. Khosla, “Design and Implementation of Active Error Canceling in Hand-held Microsurgical Instrument,” Proc. of the 2001 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1106-1111, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.