2-D Force Display System with Redundant ER Fluid Brake Aimed at Rehabilitation Support System for Upper Limbs
Makoto Haraguchi*, Junji Furusho**, and Ryoji Kawatani***
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Fukui University of Technology, 3-6-1 Gakuen, Fukui 910-8505, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui, 3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui, Fukui 910-8507, Japan
These days, there aremany patients with ataxia, which is paralysis caused by a brain stroke or asynergia. Early detection of functional deterioration and sufficient rehabilitative training are necessary for these patients. Rehabilitation support systems for upper limbs using force display systems are expected to quantify the effects of rehabilitative training and enhance the motivation of patients. The application of a passivetype force display system is especially desirable for its high safety. There are, however, some directions and positions for which it is difficult to display force in a passive-type force display systemusing only passive elements. To solve this problem, a method for the improvement of controllability using redundant brakes had been suggested. This method made it possible to display more various force power and directions than could be done with previous systems. In this study, we have developed a redundant-brake rehabilitation system for the upper limbs: Redundant-PLEMO-1.
-  Minister’s secretariat of Statistical Information Department, “Report of the Patient Investigation,” The ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 2006.
-  M. Riu, E. Saitou, and S. Izumi, “Rehabilitation Igaku no Atarashii Nagare,” Sentan Iryou Gijutsu Kenkyujo, pp. 94-99, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  I. Miyai, H. Yagura, I. Oda, I. Konishi, H. Eda, T. Suzuki, and K. Kubota, “Premotor Cortex is Involved in Restoration of Gait in Stroke,” Annals of Neurology, Vol.52, No.2, pp. 188-194, 2002.
-  T. Ando, M. Watanabe, K. Nishimoto, Y. Matsumoto, M. Seki, and M. G. Fujie, “Myoelectric-Controlled Exoskeletal Elbow Robot to Suppress Essential Tremor: Extraction of Elbow Flexion Movement Using STFTs and TDNN,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.1, 2012.
-  S. Kamohara, T. Yamada, Y. Ichinose, T. Takeda, and H. Takagi, “Rehabilitation Support by Multiaxis Force Display,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.1, 2000.
-  T. Noritsugu, “Human Friendly Soft Pneumatic Actuator and Application to Rehabilitation Robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.9, No.1, 1997.
-  H. I. Krebs, B. T. Volpe, M. L. Aisen, and N. Horgan, “Increasing productivity and quality of care: Robot-aided neuron rehabilitation,” J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.37, No.6, pp. 639-652, 2000.
-  H. I. Krebs, L. Dipietro, S. Levy-Tzedek, S. E. Fasoli, A. Rykman-Berland, J. Zipse, J. A. Fawcett, J. Stein, H. Poizner, A. C. Lo, V. T. Volpe, and N. Hogan, “Paradigm Shift for Rehabilitation Robotics,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, pp. 61-70, 2008.
-  C. G. Burgar, P. S. Lum, P. C. Shor, and H. F. M. van der Loos, “Development of robots for rehabilitation therapy: The palo alto va/stanford experience,” J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.37, No.6, pp. 663-673, 2000.
-  J. Furusho, K. Koyanagi, J. Kataoka, U. Ryu, A. Inoue, and S. Takenaka, “Development of 3-D Rehabilitation System for Upper Limb-1st Report: Development of Mechanism Including ER Actuators and Whole System,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 629-636, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sekine, T. Nagura, and K. Komoriya, “Method of force indicating with powder clutch,” The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp. 243-244, 2001.
-  H. Davis and W. Book, “Torque Control of a Redundantly Actuated Passive Type Force Manipulator,” Proc. of the American Control Conference, pp. 959-963, 1997.
-  M. R. Reed and W. J. Book, “Modeling and Control of an Improved Dissipative Passive Haptic Display,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 311-318, 2004.
-  J. Furusho, M. Sakaguchi, N. Takesue, and K. Koyanagi, “Development of ER Brake and Its Application to Passive Type Force Display,” J. of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol.13, No.7/8, pp. 425-429, 2002.
-  J. Furusho, K. Koyanagi, and C. Dong, “Basic study on Rehabilitation System Using Functional Fluid Brake,” The Bioengineering Conf., annual meeting of BED/JSME, pp. 103-104, 2003.
-  T. Kikuchi, J. Furusho, J. Ying, H. Xinghao, K. Fukushima, and A. Inoue, “Development of the Quasi-3-DOF Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs, “PLEMO”,” Japanese J. for Medical Virtual Reality, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 24-31, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  J. Furusho and M. Haraguchi, “Training Aided by Rehabilitation Robot for Upper Limbs Using Robotics, VR and Physical Therapy Technology, and Its Evaluation Including Brain Activity,” Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Vol.33, No.2, pp. 109-116, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  J. Furusho, K. Koyanagi, and C. Dong, “Force Display System Using Redundantly Couples of Functional Fluid Brakes,” JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1P1-2F-E4, 2003.
-  H. Mochizuki, “Impairments and Their Assessment in Stroke Patients,” The J. of Physical Therapy Science, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 33-38, 2007.
-  T. Fukui, K. Inoue, and K. Tsunehisa, “Development of the Apparatus for Hand Coordination’s Evaluation – Simultaneous Evaluation of Spacing, Timing, and Grading Functions,” Kawasaki Medical Welfare J., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 205-209, 2001.
-  J. Furusho, Y. Jin, K. Oda, M. Haraguchi, T. Kikichi, and H. Akai, “A Performance Evaluation Method of a Passive Type Force Display and Rehabilitation System with Redundant Brakes,” Proc. of the 2009 IEEE 11th Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 950-955, 2009.
-  S. Ueda, “Stroke Rehabilitation Illustrated,” University of Tokyo Press, pp. 6-11, 1981 (in Japanese).
-  S. Fujiwara, “Upper Extremity Function in Patients with Stroke,” So-go Rehabilitation, Vol.35, No.11, pp. 1303-1308, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  J. Furusho, “Mechatronics System Using ER Fluids,” J. of Japan Hydraulics and Pneumatic Society, Vol.32, No.6, pp. 390-395, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  G. Bossis (Ed.), Proc. of the 10th Int. Conf. on Electrorheological Fluids and Magnetorheological Fluid Suspensions, World Scientific, 2007.
-  A. Sano, J. Furusho, and H. Fujimoto, “Development of Micro Actuator Using ER Fluid,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.7, No.6, 1995.
-  M. Sakaguchi, G. Zhang, and J. Furusho, “Modeling and Motion Control of a Bidirectional – Rotational – Type ER Actuator,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.13, No.1, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.