A Depressurization Assistance System for a Seated Patient on a Wheelchair
Daisuke Chugo*, Kazuya Fujita*, Yuki Sakaida**, and Sho Yokota***
*Kwansei Gakuin University, 2-1 Gakuen, Sanda, Hyogo 669-1337, Japan
**RIKEN RTC, 2271-130 Anagahora, Shimoshidami, Moriyama, Nagoya, Aichi 463-0003, Japan
***Setsunan University, 17-8 Ikeda-Nakamachi, Neyagawa, Osaka 572-8508, Japan
-  M. Oe, “Problems and Implications of Japan’s Aging Society for Future Urban Developments,” Policy and Governance Working Paper, Series No.89, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan, 2006.
-  T. Tsutsuki and N. Muramatsu, “Care-Needs Certification in the Long-Term Care Insurance System of Japan,” J. of American Geriatrics Society, Vol.53, No.3, pp. 522-527, 2005.
-  Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, “KOUREISHA HAKUSHO (The whitepaper for the aged society),” p. 25, 2011 (in Japanese). ISBN: 4904681010
-  T. Kurihara, T. Kinose, K. Ohtu, N. Okuyama, and Y. Sakai, “A Study of Relation between Pressure Sores and Seating Positioning Ability in Wheelchair use by Elderly People,” The J. of Tokyo Academy of Health Science, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 258-262, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  D. M. Brienza, P. E. Karg, M. J. Geyer, S. Kelsey, and E. Trefler, “The relationship between pressure ulcer incidence and buttockseat cushion interface pressure in at-risk elderly wheelchair users,” Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., Vol.82, No.5, pp. 529-533, 2001.
-  G. Krzystot and R. B. Marry, “Preventing Pressure Sores in Orthopaedic Patient; is Prolonged Chair Nursing Detrimental?,” J. of Tissue Viability, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 52-54, 1994.
-  Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality, “Preventing Pressure Ulcers: A Patient’s Guide,” AHCPR Pub., No.92-0048, 1993.
-  A. C. Tali, C. Hershler, D. Daechese, C. Peel, and A. Pearson, “Pressure ulcer prophylaxis in elderly patients using polyurethane foam or Jay wheelchair cushions,” J. of Rehabilitation Research, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 123-137, 1994.
-  M.W. Ferguson-Pell, G. V. B. Cochran, V. Palmieri, and J. B. Brunski, “Development of a modular wheelchair cushion for spinal cord injured persons,” J. of Rehabil. Res. Dev., Vol.23, No.3, pp. 63-76, 1986.
-  T. Defloor, D. D. Bacquer, and M. H. Grypdonck, “The effect of various combinations of turning and pressure reducing device on the incidence of pressure ulcers,” Int. J. of Nursing Studies, Vol.42, pp. 37-46, 2005.
-  H. Sanada, J. Sugama, Y. Matsui, C. Konya, A. Kitagawa, M. Okumura, and S. Omote, “Randomised controlled trial to evaluate a new double-layer air-cell overlay for elderly patients requiring head elevation,” J. of Tissue Viability, No.13, pp. 112-118, 2003.
-  J. Murata, M. Ohyama, S. Murata, Y. Inai, S. Matsubara, K. Kaeriyama, and H. Nishimura, “Development of alternating pressure cushion for a wheelchair,” Japanese J. of Occupational Therapy Research, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 17-20, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  S. Kusuoka, S. Shibata, and T. Yamamoto, “A pneumatic system aimed for reducing pressure control in back parts while driving an electric cart,” Proc. of 9th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conference, pp. 1309-1310, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  H. K. Yuen and D. Garrett, “Comparison of three wheelchair cushions for effectiveness of pressure relief,” American J. Occupational Therapy, Vol.55, No.4, pp. 470-475, 2001.
-  M. Hirvensalo, T. Rantanen, and E. Heikkinen, “Mobility difficulties and physical activity as predictors of morality and loss of independence in the community-living older population,” J. of the American Geriatric Society, Vol.48, pp. 493-498, 2000.
-  Saito Kobo Ltd., Japan Patent Kokai 2008-93192, Apr. 24, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  D. Chugo, K. Fujita, Y. Sakaida, S. Yokota, and K. Takase, “A Depressurization Assistance Control based on the Posture of a Seated Patient on aWheelchair,” Proc. of 12th IEEE Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 275-280, 2011.
-  T. Defloor and M. H. Grypdonck, “Sitting posture and prevention of pressure ulcers,” Appl. Nurs. Res., Vol.12, No.3, pp. 136-142, 1999.
-  Y. Miyachi and H. Sanada, “A new visual guide for pressure ulcers,” Nagai Shoten Co., Ltd., p. 82, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  J. Rader, D. Jones, and L. Miller, “Individualized Wheelchair Seating: Reducing Restraints and Improving Comfort and Function,” Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 34-47, 1999.
-  E. M. Landis, “Micro-injection studies of capillary blood pressure in human skin,” Heart, Vo.15, pp. 209-228, 1930.
-  M. A. Curley, I. S. Raznus, K. E. Roberts, and D.Wypij, “Predicting pressure ulcer risk in pediatric patients: the Braden Q Scale,” Nurs. Res., Vol.52, No.1, pp. 22-33, 2003.
-  W. C. Graafmans, M. E. Ooms, H. M. A. Hofstee, P. D. Bezemer, L. M. Bouter, and P. Lips, “Falls in the Elderly: A Prospective Study of Risk Factors and Risk Profiles,” American J. of Epidemiology, Vol.143, No.11, pp. 1129-1136, 1996.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.