Basic Research of “MR-PLEMO”: 2-D Passive-Type Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs Using MR Fluid Brake
Makoto Haraguchi* and Junji Furusho**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Fukui University of Technology, 3-6-1 Gakuen, Fukui 910-8505, Japan
Rehabilitation for the upper limbs is important for elderly people, people who have suffered strokes, and so on. In recent years, the need for rehabilitation support systems is increasing that use force display systems. When using a force display system, it is most important to ensure safety mechanically in order to prevent operators from hurting subjects. Conventional force display systems are active systems with actuators and these systems may become dangerous when going out of control. Passive force display systems with only passive elements are, however, thought to be an effective method for assuring inherent safety. In this paper, we evaluate force display ability for a 2-D passive-type force display system using fast-response MR (Magneto-Rheological) fluid brakes in order to apply this system to rehabilitation training.
-  S. Kudomi, H. Yamada, and T. Muto, “Development of a Hydraulic Parallel Link Force Display – Improvement of Manipulability Using a Disturbance Observer and its Application to a Master-slave System,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.4, 2003.
-  T. Yamada and T. Watanabe, “Development of a Virtual Arm Wrestling System for Force Display Communication Analysis,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.6, 2008.
-  S. Kamohara, T. Yamada, Y. Ichinose, T. Takeda, and H. Takagi, “Rehabilitation Support by Multiaxis Force Display,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.1, 2000.
-  H. Davis and W. J. Book, “Torque control of a redundantly actuated passive type force manipulator,” Proc. of American Control Conf., pp. 959-963, 1997.
-  T. Sekine, T. Nagura, and K. Komoriya, “Method of force indicating with powder clutch,” The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp. 243-244, 2001.
-  A. Sano, J. Furusho, and H. Fujimoto, “Development of Micro Actuator Using ER Fluid,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.7, No.6, 1995.
-  M. Sakaguchi, G. Zhang, and J. Furusho, “Modeling and Motion Control of a Bidirectional-Rotational-Type ER Actuator,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.13, No.1, 2001.
-  S. Shutto, “MR Fluid and Its Application,” The Japan Fluid Power System Society, Vol.38, No.2, pp. 96-100, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  J. Furusho and M. Sakaguchi, “New Actuators Using ER Fluid and Their Applications to Force Display Devices in Virtual Reality and Medical Treatments,” Int. J. of Modern Physics B, Vol.13, No.14/16, pp. 2151-2159, 1999.
-  J. Furusho, M. Sakaguchi, N. Takesue, and K. Koyanagi, “Development of ER Brake and its Application to Passive Force Display,” J. of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol.13, No.7/8, pp. 425-429, 2002.
-  J. Furusho and M. Haraguchi, “Training Aided by Rehabilitation Robot for Upper Limbs Using Robotics, VR and Physical Therapy Technology, and Its Evaluation Including Brain Activity,” Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Vol.33, No.2, pp. 109-116, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  N. Takesue, J. Furusho, and Y. Kiyota, “Fast Response MR-Fluid Actuator,” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.47, No.3, pp. 783-791, 2004.
-  Y. Yamaguchi and J. Furusho, “Study on Wire-Driven Force Display System on the Consideration of Standards of Safety,” The Virtual Reality Society of Japan, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 91-100, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  M. R. Reed and W. J. Book, “Modeling and Control of an Improved Dissipative Passive Haptic Display,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 311-318, 2004.
-  J. Blake and H. B. Gurocak, “Haptic GloveWithMR Brakes for Virtual Reality,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.5, pp. 606-615, 2009.
-  T. Ohyama, S. Imai, and T. Wake (Eds.), “Shinpen Kankaku Chikaku Shinrigaku Handbook,” Seishin Shobo Co,. Ltd., pp. 1169-1315, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  M. Haraguchi, Y. Jin, and J. Furusho, “Basic research of 2-D rehabilitation system for upper limbs with redundant ER brakes (1st report: Analysis of its force display ability),” the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.76, No.761, pp. 142-150, 2010.
-  S. Brunnstrom, “Movement therapy in hemiplegia; A neurophysiological approach,” Medical Dept. Harper & Row, First edition, 1970.
-  H. Mochizuki, “Impairments and Their Assessment in Stroke Patients,” The J. of Physical Therapy Science, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 33-38, 2007.
-  T. Fukui, K. Inoue, and K. Tsunehisa, “Development of the Apparatus for Hand Coordination’s Evaluation – Simultaneous Evaluation of Spacing, Timing, and Grading Functions,” Kawasaki Medical Welfare J., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 205-209, 2001.
- [a] http://www.lord.com/mr
Supporting Online Materials:
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.