Review and Fin Structure Design for Robotic Manta Ray (RoMan IV)
Wanchao Chi and Kin Huat Low
School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798, Singapore
-  N. Kato et al., “Biology-inspired precision maneuvering of underwater vehicles (part 4),” Int. J. of Offshore and Polar Engineering, Vol.16, pp. 195-201, 2006.
-  M. Nakashima, T. Tsubaki, and K. Ono, “Three-dimensional movement in water of the dolphin robot – control between two positions by roll and pitch combination,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.3, 2006.
-  A. M. Bertetto and M. Ruggiu, “Tail-actuator propulsion device for aquatic robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.1, 2006.
-  S. Kobayashi, K. Fujii, T. Yamaura, and H. Morikawa, “Bioinspired omnidirectional multilink propulsion mechanism in fluid,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.6, 2011.
-  Y. Nagashima, N. Taguchi, T. Ishimatsu, and H. Inoue, “Development of a compact automonous underwater vehicle using varivec propeller,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 112-117, 2002.
-  J. M. Parson, F. E. Fish, and A. J. Nicastro, “Turning performance of batoids: Limitations of a rigid body,” J. of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Vol.402, pp. 12-18, 2011.
-  K. W. Moored, T. H. Kemp, N. E. Houle, and H. Bart-Smith, “Analytical predictions, optimization, and design of a tensegritybased artificial pectoral fin,” Int. J. of Solids and Structures, Vol.48, pp. 3142-3159, 2011.
-  C. Zhou and K. H. Low, “Better endurance and load capacity: An improved design of manta ray robot (RoMan-II),” J. of Bionic Engineering, Vol.7, pp. 137-144, 2010.
-  C. Zhou and K. H. Low, “Design and Locomotion Control of a Biomimetic Underwater Vehicle With Fin Propulsion,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.1, 2012.
-  R.W. Blake, “The mechanics of labriform locomotion. I. Labriform locomotion in the angelfish (Pterophyllum eimekei): an analysis of the power stroke,” J. Exp. Biol., Vol.82, pp. 255-271, 1979.
-  W. Klausewitz, “Der lokomotionsmodus der flugelrochen (myliobatoidei),” Natur-Museum und Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg, pp. 111-117, 1963.
-  T. P. L. Brower, “Design of a manta ray inspired underwater propulsive mechanism for long range, low power operation,” Tufts University, 2006.
-  K. Suzumori, S. Endo, T. Kanda, N. Kato, and H. Suzuki, “A bending pneumatic rubber actuator realizing soft-bodied manta swimming robot,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Roma, Italy, April 10-14, 2007, pp. 4975-4980, 2007.
-  K. W. Moored and H. Bart-Smith, “Myliobatoid-inspired flapping fin: Qualitative flow structure,” University of Virginia, 2008.
-  Y. Cai, S. Bi, and L. Zheng, “Design and Experiments of a Robotic Fish Imitating Cow-Nosed Ray,” J. of Bionic Engineering, Vol.7, pp. 120-126, 2010.
-  A. Punning, M. Anton, M. Kruusmaa, and A. Aabloo, “An engineering approach to reduced power consumption of IPMC (Ion-PolymerMetal Composite) actuators,” 2005 Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, ICAR ���05, Proc., pp. 856-863, 2005.
-  Y. Shaobo, H. Xiaoyun, Z. Daibing, and Q. Jing, “Design and development of a new kind of pectoral oscillation propulsion robot fish,” Robot, Vol.30, No.6, pp. 508-515, 2008.
-  W. Zhenlong, W. Yangwei, L. Jian, and H. Guanrong, “A micro biomimetic manta ray robot fish actuated by SMA,” 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO 2009), pp. 1809-1813, 2009.
-  S. Mishra et al., “Studies on mechanical performance of biofibre/glass reinforced polyester hybrid composites,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol.63, pp. 1377-1385, 2003.
-  S.-b. Yang et al., “Kinematics Modeling and Experiments of Pectoral Oscillation Propulsion Robotic Fish,” J. of Bionic Engineering, Vol.6, pp. 174-179, 2009.
-  L. J. Rosenberger, “Pectoral Fin Locomotion in Batoid Fishes: Undulation versus Oscillation,” The J. of Experimental Biology, Vol.204, pp. 379-394, 2001.
Supporting Online Materials:
-  [a] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manta_ray [cited October 2011]
-  [b] Pacific Manta Ray Manta hamiltoni.http://www.thebigzoo.com/Animals/Pacific_Manta_Ray.asp [cited October 2011]
-  [c] http://www.festo.com/cms/en_corp/9789_10409.htm#id_10409 [cited October 2011]
-  [d] http://www.festo.com/cms/en_corp/9786.htm [cited October 2011]
-  [e] http://www.festo.com/cms/nl-be_be/16394.htm [cited October 2011]
-  [f] http://dimastero.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/the-fin-ray-effect%C2%AE-for-lego/fin-ray-effect-movement/ [cited October 2011]
-  [g] http://www.hardmood.info/2008/05/23/prototypen-%E2%80%93-bionik-und-der-blick-in-die-natur/fin-ray-effect_03/ [cited October 2011]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.