High-Efficient Biped Walking Based on Flat-Footed Passive Dynamic Walking with Mechanical Impedance at Ankles
Yuta Hanazawa and Masaki Yamakita
Department of Mechanical and Control Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Oh-okayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
In this paper, we present novel biped walking based on flat-footed Passive Dynamic Walking (PDW) with mechanical impedance at the ankles. To realize biped robot achieving high-efficient walking, PDW has attracted attention. Recently, flat-footed passive dynamic walkers with mechanical impedance at the ankles have been proposed. We show that this passive walker achieves fast, energy-efficient walking using ankle springs and inerters. For this reason, we propose novel biped walking control that mimics PDW to realize biped robots achieving fast, energy-efficient walking on level ground. First, we design a flat-footed biped robot that achieves fast, energy-efficient PDW. To achieve walking based on PDW, the biped robot then takes advantage of a virtual gravitational field that is generated by actuators. The biped robot also pushes off with the foot in the double-support phase to restore energy. By walking simulation, we show that a flat-footed biped robot achieves fast, energy-efficient walking on level ground by the proposed method.
-  T. McGeer, “Passive dynamic walking,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 62-82, 1990.
-  S. H. Collins and A. Ruina, “A bipedal walking robot with efficient and human-like gait,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 1983-1988, 2005.
-  A. Goswami, B. Espiau, and A. Keramane, “Limit cycles and their stability in a passive bipedal gait,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Vol.1, pp. 246-251, 1996.
-  F. Asano, M. Yamakita, and K. Furuta, “Virtual passive dynamic walking and energy-based control laws,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 1149-1154, 2002.
-  M. W. Spong, J. K. Holm, and D. Lee, “Passivity-based control of bipedal locomotion,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 30-40, 2007.
-  F. Asano and Z. W. Luo, “On energy-efficient and high-speed dynamic biped locomotion with semicircular feet,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 5901-5906, 2006.
-  S. H. Collins and A. Ruina, “Efficient bipedal robots based on passive-dynamic walkers,” Science, Vol.5712, pp. 1082-1085, 2005.
-  T. Takuma and K. Hosoda, “Controlling the walking period of a pneumatic muscle walker,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.25, No.9, pp. 861-866, 2006.
-  P. Manoonpong, T. Geng, B. Porr, and F. Worgotter, “The Run-Bot architecture for adaptive, fast, dynamic walking,” Proc. IEEE Int. Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), pp. 1181-1184, 2007.
-  F. Asano and Z. W. Luo, “Energy-efficient and high-speed dynamic biped locomotion based on principle of parametric excitation,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.24, No.6, pp. 1289-1301, 2008.
-  Y. Harata, F. Asano, Z. W. Luo, K. Taji, and Y. Uno, “Biped gait generation based on parametric excitation by knee-joint actuation,” Robotica, Vol.7, No.7, pp. 1063-1073, 2009.
-  F. Asano and Z. W. Luo, “Efficient dynamic bipedal walking using effects of semicircular feet,” Robotica, Vol.29, No.3, pp. 351-365, 2011.
-  D. G. E. Hobbelen and M. Wisse, “Limit cycle walking,” In: M. Hackel (Ed.), Humanoid Robots; humanlike machines, pp. 277-294, 2007.
-  D. G. E. Hobbelen and M. Wisse, “Controlling the walking speed in limit cycle walking,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, No.9, pp. 989-1005, 2008.
-  T. Narukawa, K. Yokoyama, M. Takahashi, and K. Yoshida, “A simple 3D straight-legged passive walker with flat feet and ankle springs,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 2952-2957, 2008.
-  D. G. E. Hobbelen, T. de Boer, and M. Wisse, “System overview of bipedal robots flame and tulip: Tailor-made for limit cycle walking,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 2486-2491, 2008.
-  K. Narioka, S. Tsugawa, and K. Hosoda, “3D limit cycle walking of musculoskeletal humanoid robot with flat feet,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 4676-4681, 2009.
-  T. Narukawa, K. Yokoyama, and M. Takanashi, “Numerical and Experimental Studies of Planar Passive Biped Walker with Flat Feet and Ankle Springs,” J. of System Design and Dynamics, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 848-856, 2010.
-  M.Wisse, D. G. E.Hobbelen, R. J. J. Rotteveel, S. O. Anderson, and G. J. Zeglin, “Ankle springs instead of arc-shaped feet for passive dynamic walkers,” Proc. IEEE-RAS Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots (ICHR), pp. 110-116, 2006.
-  M. C. Smith, “Synthesis of mechanical networks: The inerter,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.47, No.10, pp. 1648-1662, 2002.
-  Y. Hanazawa, H. Suda, and M. Yamakita, “Analysis and Experiment of Flat-Footed Passive Dynamic Walker with Ankle Inerter,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), pp. 86-91, 2011.
-  J.W. Grizzle, G. Abba, and F. Plestan, “Asymptotically stable walking for biped robots: Analysis via systems with impulse effects,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.46, No.1, pp. 51-64, 2001.
-  R. W. Sinnet and A. D. Ames, “2d bipedal walking with knees and feet: A hybrid control approach,” in Proc. IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control, and Chinese Control Conf. (CDC/CCC), pp. 3200-3207, 2009.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.