Efficiency Improvement of Electric Generating Engine System Based on Internal Combustion Engine: Energy Simulation of New Engine Operation with Electric Generator and Motor
Hiroki Ishikawa, Yuta Takeda, Satoshi Ashizawa, and Takeo Oomichi
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Meijo University, 1-501 Shiogamaguchi, Tenpaku-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 468-8502, Japan
An internal combustion engine with a crank mechanism moves with its piston and load mechanism interlocked, and this poses a problem for efficiency improvement. We therefore built a system in which the piston and load mechanism linearly; a generator is used in the combustion stroke and a motor is used in the exhaust, intake, and compression strokes. This system can control piston motion freely, so generation energy and consumption energy in each stroke can be optimized. To check its effectiveness, we developed a simulator in which an engine mechanism and motor/generator is integrated, we performed an energy simulation, and we verified the effectiveness of the method of operation of the proposed system.
-  N. Iwata, T. Sasaki, and M. Ogura, “The EGR Control by the Variable Valve Timing – Cycle Simulation –,” The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Kanto Branch 10th Anniversary Block Trans. of Joint Conf. paper, pp. 157-158, 2003.
-  Y. Yoshihara and F. Hosoda, “Development of Variable Valve Actuation Technologies and Trend in the Future,” J. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B, Vol.112, No.1092, pp. 904-907, 2009.
-  C. Sugimoto and Y. Urata, “Study of a gasoline engine using a flexible electromagnetic valve mechanism,” Mechanical Engineering Congress, 2004 Japan Trans. of Conf. paper, F08-(2), pp. 144-146, 2004.
-  T. Yamauchi, “Variable inertia flywheel,” Published collection of Toyota Technical, No.163, p. 245, 2004.
-  A. Yokota, “Variable inertia moment flywheel,” Patent 2005-36944 (P2005-36944A), 2005.
-  M. Imai, “Variable weight flywheel,” Patent 7-255732, 1997.
-  T. Akasawa, K. Murao, and Y. Okada, “Study of Linear Alternator for Free Piston Stirling Engine,” 9th Stirling Cycle Symposium Trans. of Conf. paper, No.05-39, pp. 33-34, 2005.
-  S. Ishizawa and Y. Takagi, “A Study of HC Emission from a Spark Ignition Engine (The Influence of Fuel Absorbed into Cylinder Lubricating Oil Film),” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.30, No.260, pp. 310-317, 1987.
-  M. Ikegami, K. Miwa, and M. Inada, “A Study on Ignition and Combustion of a Diesel Spray by Means of a Rapid Compression Machine,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.24, No.195, pp. 1608-1615, 1981.
-  Y. Niki, K. Hirata, and M. Kawada, “Development of Stirling Engine Simulator to Simulate Load Charge,” 11th Stirling Cycle Symposium Trans. of Conf. paper, No.08-43, pp. 13-16, 2008.
-  A. Hibi and S. Kumagai, “Hydraulic free piston internal combustion engine,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B, Vol.51, No.467, pp. 2123-2131, 1985.
-  H. Ishikawa, Y. Takeda, and T. Oomichi, “Efficiency improvement of the electric generating system for internal combustion engine – Dynamic simulator development of crank type system –,” Robotics and Mechatronics Conf. 2011 Trans. of Conf. paper, 1A1-G03 (CDR), 2011.
-  Y. Takeda, H. Ishikawa, and T. Oomichi, “Efficiency improvement of the electric generating system for internal combustion engine – Analysis estimate of mechanical characteristic ICELG –,” Robotics and Mechatronics Conf. 2011 Trans. of Conf. paper, 1A1-G02 (CDR), 2011.
-  I. Tanabe, Y. Kaneko, and T. Iyama, “New Mirror – like Finishing Using the Lathe with Linear Motor,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.73, No.3321, pp. 3316-3321, 2007.
-  K. Koizumi, “Ultra Precision Large Size Grinding System with Linear Motor Drive,” Trans. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.72, No.4, pp. 431-434, 2006.
-  Mitsubishi Heavy Industry, “Mitsubishi Meiki OHV air-cooling gasoline engine GB SERIES,” p. 4, 2006.
-  I. Nagayama, “Engine Engineering for Beginners,” Tokyo Denki University Press, p. 34, 2008.
-  T. Jimbo, S. Kojima, K. Kawai, and J. Kako, “A Model Widely Predicting Autoignition Time for Gasoline Engines,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B, Vol.73, No.735, pp. 2381-2386, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.