Design and Application of an Intelligent Robotic Gripper for Accurate and Tolerant Electronic Connector Mating
Fei Chen*1, Kosuke Sekiyama*1, Baiqing Sun*2, Pei Di*1, Jian Huang*3, Hironobu Sasaki*4, and Toshio Fukuda*1
*1Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
*2School of Electrical Engineering, Shenyang University of Technology, Shenyang, Liaoning 110870, China
*3Department of Control Science and Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology Wuhan, Hubei 430074, China
*4Factory Automation Technology Development, Canon Inc., 70-1 Yanagi-cho, Saiwai-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa 212-8602, Japan
-  A. Bannat, T. Bautze, M. Beetz, J. Blume, K. Diepold, C. Ertelt, F. Geiger, T. Gmeiner, T. Gyger, A. Knoll et al., “Artificial Cognition in Production Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 148-174, 2011.
-  F. Chen, K. Sekiyama, J. Huang, B. Sun, H. Sasaki, and T. Fukuda, “An Assembly Strategy Scheduling Method for Human and Robot Coordinated Cell Manufacturing,” Int. J. of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 487-510, 2011.
-  J. Krüger, T. Lien, and A. Verl, “Cooperation of Human and Machines in Assembly Lines,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.58, No.2, pp. 628-646, 2009.
-  J. Tan, F. Duan, Y. Zhang, R. Kato, and T. Arai, “Task modeling approach to enhance man-machine collaboration in cell production,” In IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation 2009 (ICRA’09), pp. 152-157, IEEE, 2009.
-  D. Sun and J. Mills, “Manipulating rigid payloads with multiple robots using compliant grippers,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 23-34, 2002.
-  A. Pettersson, T. Ohlsson, S. Davis, J. Gray, and T. Dodd, “A Hygienically Designed Force Gripper for Flexible Handling of Variable and Easily Damaged Natural Food Products,” Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 2011.
-  A. Bertetto and M. Ruggiu, “A two degree of freedom gripper actuated by SMA with flexure hinges,” J. of Robotic Systems, Vol.20, No.11, pp. 649-657, 2003.
-  H. Choi andM. Koē, “Design and feasibility tests of a flexible gripper based on inflatable rubber pockets,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.46, No.12-13, pp. 1350-1361, 2006.
-  D. Pham and S. Yeo, “Strategies for gripper design and selection in robotic assembly,” Int. J. of production research, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 303-316, 1991.
-  M. Wagner, J. Morehouse, and S. Melkote, “Prediction of Part Orientation Error Tolerance of a Robotic Gripper,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 449-459, 2009.
-  S. Ragunathan and L. Karunamoorthy, “Modular Reconfigurable Robotic Gripper for Limp Material Handling in Garment Industries,” Int. J. of Robotics and Automation 2008, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 213-219, 2008.
-  Y. Yokokohji, J. S. Martin, and M. Fujiwara, “Dynamic manipulability of multifingered grasping,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 947-954, 2009.
-  E. Brown, N. Rodenberg, J. Amend, A. Mozeika, E. Steltz, M. Zakin, H. Lipson, and H. Jaeger, “Universal Robotic Gripper Based on the Jamming of Granular Material,” Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol.107, No.44, pp. 18809-18814, 2010.
-  D. Lane, J. Davies, G. Robinson, D. O’Brien, J. Sneddon, E. Seaton, and A. Elfstrom, “The AMADEUS dextrous subsea hand: design, modeling, and sensor processing,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 96-111, 1999.
-  D. Roy, “Estimation of Grip Force and Slip Behavior During Robotic Grasp Using Data Fusion and Hypothesis Testing: Case Study with a Matrix Sensor,” J. of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Vol.50, No.1, pp. 41-71, 2007.
-  K. S. M. Sahari, H. Seki, Y. Kamiya, and M. Hikizu, “Passive Edge Tracing of Deformable Object by Robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 458-461, 2011.
-  H. Sugiuchi, S. Watanabe, Y. Hasegawa, and M. Nornoto, “A control system for multi-fingered robotic hand with distributed touch sensor,” In Industrial Electronics Society 2000 (IECON 2000), 26th Annual Conf. of the IEEE, Vol.1, pp. 434-439, IEEE, 2000.
-  D. Sun, C. Willingham, A. Durrani, P. King, K. Cleary, and B. Wood, “A Novel End-Effector Design for Robotics in Image Guided Needle Procedures,” The Int. J. of medical robotics computer assisted surgery: MRCAS, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 91-97, 2006.
-  H. Tanaka, T. Tomizawa, Y. Sumi, J. H. Lee, H. M. Do, B. K. Kim, T. Tanikawa, H. Onda, and K. Ohba, “Visual Marker System for Autonomous Object Handling by Assistive Robotic Arm,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.4, 2011.
-  A. Dollar and R. Howe, “A robust compliant grasper via shape deposition manufacturing,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 154-161, 2006.
-  R. Kolluru, K. Valavanis, S. Smith, and N. Tsourveloudis, “Design fundamentals of a reconfigurable robotic gripper system,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part A: Systems and Humans, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 181-187, 2000.
-  G. Monkman, S. Hesse, and R. Steinmann, “Robot Grippers,” Vch Verlagsgesellschaft Mbh, 2007.
-  W. Townsend, “The Barrett Hand Grasper–Programmably Flexible Part Handling and Assembly,” Industrial Robot: an Int. J., Vol.27, No.3, pp. 181-188, 2000.
-  J. Huang, P. Di, T. Fukuda, and T. Matsuno, “Robust Model-Based Online Fault Detection forMating Process of Electric Connectors in Robotic Wiring Harness Assembly Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 1207-1215, 2010.
-  J. Huang, T. Fukuda, and T. Matsuno, “Model-based Intelligent Fault Detection and Diagnosis for Mating Electric Connectors in Robotic Wiring Harness Assembly Systems,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 86-94, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.