Finger-Mounted Tactile Sensor for Evaluating Surfaces
Ryo Kikuuwe, Kenta Nakamura, and Motoji Yamamoto
Kyushu University, 744 Motooka, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka 819-0395, Japan
This paper presents a finger-mounted tactile sensor for extracting information on fine surface properties of objects such as textile fabrics. The prototype sensor has a thin structure composed of a sheet of PVDF (polyvinylidene fluoride) film sensor and some metal parts for converting compressive forces into area expansion of the PVDF film. By using a signal processing program based on the FFT (fast Fourier transform), voltage signal sequences from nine different fabrics were distinguished, even in the presence of variations in the pressing force and the speed of rubbing motion induced by the fluctuations in the user’s hand motion. In addition, the signal sequences from abraded fabrics were sorted by their levels of abrasion by extracting a signal component correlated with the abrasion level.1
1. This paper is the full translation from the transactions of JSME, Series C, Vol.77, No.784, 2011.
-  A. Kumar, “Computer-vision-based Fabric Defect Detection: A Survey,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.55, No.1, pp. 348-363, 2008.
-  T. J. Kang, S. C. Kim, I. H. Sul, J. R. Youn, and C. Kwansoo, “Fabric Surface Roughness Evaluation Using Wavelet-fractal Method: Part I: Wrinkle, Smoothness and Seam Pucker,” Textile Research J., Vol.75, No.11, pp. 751-760, 2005.
-  S. C. Kim and T. J. Kang, “Fabric Surface Roughness Evaluation Using Wavelet-fractal Method: Part II: Fabric Pilling Evaluation,” Textile Research J., Vol.75, No.11, pp. 761-770, 2005.
-  M. Carfagni, R. Furferi, and L. Governi, “A Real-time Machinevision System for Monitoring the Textile Raising Process,” Computers in Industry, Vol.56, No.8, pp. 831-842, 2005.
-  L. H. Siew, R. M. Hodgson, and E. J. Wood, “Texture Measures for Carpet Wear Assessment,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 92-105, 1988.
-  S. Kawabata, “The Standardization and Analysis of Hand Evaluation,” 2nd edition, The Textile Machinery Society of Japan, 1980.
-  A. De Boos and D. Tester, “SiroFAST – Fabric Assurance by Simple Testing,” In H. M. Behery (Ed.), Effect of Mechanical And Physical Properties on Fabric Hand, Appendix B, Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2005.
-  S. A. Hosseini Ravandi, K. Toriumi, and Y. Matsumoto, “Spectral Analysis of the Stick-slip Motion of Dynamic Friction in the Fabric Surface,” Textile Research J., Vol.64, No.4, pp. 224-229, 1994.
-  E. Yi and G. Cho, “Fabric Sound Parameters and Their Relationship with Mechanical Properties,” Textile Research J., Vol.70, No.9, pp. 828-836, 2000.
-  Y. Na and G. Cho, “Variations in Sensibility to Fabric Frictional Sound by Fiber Type and Subject,” Textile Research J., Vol.73, No.9, pp. 837-842, 2003.
-  E. Yi, G. Cho, Y. Na, and J. G. Casali, “A Fabric Sound Evaluation System for Totally Auditory-sensible Textiles,” Textile Research J., Vol.72, No.7, pp. 638-644, 2002.
-  J.-M. Praëne, C. Breugnot, M.-A. Bueno, and J.-P. Roll, “Mechanoacoustical Discrimination of Hairy Fabrics from Neurosensorial Criteria,” Textile Research J., Vol.77, No.7, pp. 462-470, 2007.
-  M. Tanaka, Y. Tanaka, and S. Chonan, “Measurement and Evaluation of Tactile Sensations Using a PVDF Sensor,” J. of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol.19, No.1, pp. 35-42, 2008.
-  Y. Tanaka, M. Tanaka, and S. Chonan, “Measurement of Tactile Sensation Using Sensor System for Collecting Tactile Information,” Trans. JSME Series C, Vol.73, No.727, pp. 817-824. 2007 (in Japanese).
-  W. J. Thorsen and P. Veneklasen, “The Spectral Distribution of Sound Produced by Fibers and Fabrics in Friction: Part I: Improved Instrumentation,” Textile Research J., Vol.31, No.9, pp. 804-809, 1961.
-  W. J. Thorsen, “The Spectral Distribution of Sound Produced by Fibers and Fabrics in Friction: Part II: Variations with Fabric Hand, Fuzziness, Wrinkledness, and Textile Mechanical and Finishing Processes,” Textile Research J., Vol.32, No.8, pp. 670-676, 1962.
-  Y. Tanaka, M. Tanaka, and S. Chonan, “Development of a Sensor System for Collecting Tactile Information,” Microsystem Technologies, Vol.13, No.8-10, pp. 1005-1013, 2007.
-  M. Tanaka, S. Chonan, Z. Jiang, and H. Nakajima, “Measurement and Valuation of Touch Sensation: Tactile Perception of Forefinger Compared with PVDF Sensor Output,” Trans. JSME Series C, Vol.65, No.631, pp. 970-976, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  K. Miyata, M. Tanaka, T. Nishizawa, and S. Chonan, “Wearable Tactile Sensor System for Reading Braille,” Int. J. of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol.23, No.3-4, pp. 203-215, 2006.
-  M. Tanaka, H. Hayashi, J. L. Lévêque, H. Tagami, K. Kikuchi, and S. Chonan, “Development of a Haptic Sensor for Monitoring Skin Conditions,” Trans. JSME Series C, Vol.69, No.685, pp. 2381-2388, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Tanaka, M. Kamei, M. Furubayashi, Z. W. Jiang, Y. Tanahashi, and S. Chonan, “Development of a Palpation Sensor for Detecting Prostatic Cancer and Hypertrophy: Signal Processing on Clinical Data,” Trans. JSME Series C, Vol.65, No.636, pp. 3296-3301, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  “Piezo Film Sensors, Technical Manual,” Measurement Specialities, Inc., 2008.
-  J. Dargahi, “A Piezoelectric Tactile Sensor with Three Sensing Elements for Robotic, Endoscopic and Prosthetic Applications,” Sensors and Actuators, Vol.80, No.1, pp. 23-30, 2000.
-  M. Tanaka and Y. Numazawa, “Rating and Valuation of Human Haptic Sensation,” Int. J. of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol.19, No.1-4, pp. 573-579, 2004.
-  F. Tabuchi, R. Kikuuwe, and M. Yamamoto, “Quantifying Difference among Fabrics Based on Vibration Induced by Friction between Fabrics,” Proc. of 8th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conference, 2A3-4, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  R. Kikuuwe, F. Tabuchi, and M. Yamamoto, “Identification of Fabrics by Using Frictional Sounds between Fabrics,” Proc. of JSME Robotics and Mechatronics Conference, 1P1-I03, 2008 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.