Development of Anchor Diver III: Easy-to-Operate Tensioned-Tether Type ROV for Underwater Search and Rescue Operations
Ya-Wen Huang, Yuki Sasaki, Yukihiro Harakawa,
Edwardo F. Fukushima, and Shigeo Hirose
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
Search and rescue tasks for drowned persons on the bottom of rivers or coastal seabeds are quite demanding for conventional ROVs (Remotely Operated Vehicles). Since the water current is sometimes fast, the ROV tends to drift and the cable of the ROV tends to become tangled with debris at the bottom. It has thus been reported that in most cases scuba divers conduct search and rescue tasks with no ROV support. This paper proposes a new type of ROV, Anchor Diver III, that can solve the problems of conventional ROVs. Similar to holding the leash of a running dog, Anchor Diver III uses thrusters to drive away from the mother ship, so that the wire connected between the robot and the mother ship is kept tightened during the entire operation. This paper details the development of Anchor Diver III and underwater experiments. It also gives an overview of Anchor Diver III and describes search and rescue activities during 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami April 19–21, 2011.
-  “Instructor Notes: Search & Recovery, Skill Development Course,” British Sub-Aqua Club, September 2000.
-  C. Aoyama, E. Hamada, and M. Furusawa, “Total Performance Check of Quantitative Echo Sounders by Using Echoes From Sea Bottom,” Bulletin of Japanese Society of Scientific Fisheries, Vol.65, No.1, p. 7885, 1999.
-  W. Koterayama, S. Yamaguchi, M. Nakamura, and T. Akamatu, “Development of an Observation Robot “Flying Fish” for Comprehensive Measurements of Ocean Environment,” The Society of Naval Architects of Japan, Vol.179, pp. 193-204, June 1996.
-  D. Hiranandani, C. White, C. Clark, T. Gambin, and K. Buhagiar, “Underwater Robots with Sonar and Smart Tether for Underground Cistern Mapping and Exploration,” The 10th Int. Symposium on Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Cultural Heritage VAST, 2009.
-  Y.-W. Huang, K. Ueda, K. Itoh, E. F. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “Development of Tether Mooring Type Underwater Robot,” The 2009 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 267-272, 2009.
-  Y.-W. Huang, K. Ueda, K. Itoh, Y. Sasaki, P. Debenest, E. F. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “Development of Tether Mooring Type Underwater Robots: Anchor Diver I and II,” The 3rd Int. Conf. on Underwater System Technology: Theory and Applications 2010, pp. 168-173, 1st and 2nd November 2010.
-  T. Ura, “System Integration for Ocean Engineering,” Journal of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.47, No.10, pp. 787-790, October 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.