Development of a Tool Manipulator Driven by a Flexible Shaft for Single-Port Endoscopic Surgery
Yuta Sekiguchi*, Yo Kobayashi**, Yu Tomono*,
Hiroki Watanabe*, Kazutaka Toyoda***, Kozo Konishi***,
Morimasa Tomikawa***, Satoshi Ieiri***, Kazuo Tanoue***,
Makoto Hashizume***, and Masakatsu G. Fujie**
*Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Waseda University, Japan
**The Faculty of Science and Engineering, Waseda University, Japan
***Center for the Integration of Advanced Medicine and Innovative Technology, Kyushu University Hospital, Japan
Recently, a robotic system was developed to assist in Single-Port Endoscopic Surgery (SPS). However, the existing system required a manual operation of vision and viewpoint, hindering the surgical task. We proposed a surgical endoscopic robot for SPS with a dynamic vision control, the endoscopic view being manipulated by a master controller. The prototype robot consists of a manipulator for vision control, and dual tool tissue manipulators (gripping: five DOFs; cautery: three DOFs) can be attached at the tip of the sheath manipulator. In particular, this paper focuses on the details of the mechanism and control scheme of the tool manipulator. The experimental results show that our manipulator exhibits a response with a precision of less than 0.15 mm and a time delay of less than 31 ms, when the input frequency is 1.0 Hz.
Hiroki Watanabe, Kazutaka Toyoda, Kozo Konishi,
Morimasa Tomikawa, Satoshi Ieiri, Kazuo Tanoue,
Makoto Hashizume, and Masakatsu G. Fujie, “Development of a Tool Manipulator Driven by a Flexible Shaft for Single-Port Endoscopic Surgery,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.6, pp. 1115-1124, 2011.
-  S. Horgan and D. Vanuno, “Robots in Laparoscopic Surgery,” J. of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 415-419, 2001.
-  P. Daraio, B. Hannaford, and A. Menciassi, “Smart Surgical Tools and Augmenting Devices,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.19, No.5, pp. 782-792, 2003.
-  R. H. Taylor and D. Stoianovici, “Medical Robotics in Computer- Integrated Surgery,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.19, No.5, pp. 765-781, 2003.
-  M. Hashizume, T. Yasunaga, K. Tanoue, S. Ieiri, K. Konishi, K. Kishi, H. Nakamoto, D. Ikeda, I. Sakuma, M. Fujie, and T. Dohi, “New real-time MR image-guided surgical robotic system for minimally invasive precision surgery,” Int. J. of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 317-325, 2008.
-  G. S. Guthart and K. J. Salisbury, “The Intuitive TM Telesurgery System: Overview and Application,” Proc. of the 2000 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 618-621, 2000.
-  G. Navarra, E. Pozza, S. Occhionorelli, P Carcoforo, and I. Donini, “One-Wound Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy,” British J. of Surgery, Vol.84, p. 695, 1997.
-  G. Hubens, H. Coveliers, L. Balliu, M. Ruppert, and W. A. Vaneerdeweg, “Performance Study Comparing Manual and Robotically Assisted Laparoscopic Surgery Using the da Vinci System,” Surgical Endoscopy, Vol.17, pp. 1595-1599, 2003.
-  A. A. Gumbs, L. Milone, P. Sinha, and M. Bessler, “Totally Transumbilical Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy,” J. of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Vol.23, No.10, pp. 2242-2249, 2008.
-  X. Zhang, A. Lehman, C. A. Nelson, S. M. Farritor, and D. Oleynikov, “Cooperative Robotic Assistant for Laparoscopic Surgery: CoBRASurge,” Proc. of the 2009 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5540-5545, 2009.
-  K. Hongo, S. Kobayashi, Y. Kakizawa, J. Koyama, T. Goto, H. Okudera, K. Kan, M.G. Fujie, H. Iseki, and K. Takakura, “Neu-Robot: Telecontrolled Micromanipulator System for Minimally Invasive Microneurosurgery-Preliminary Results,” Neurosurgery, Vol.51, No.4, pp. 985-988, 2002.
-  Y. Kobayashi et al., “Surgical Robot with Vision Control for Single Port Endoscopic Surgery,” ROBOMEC, pp. 2A1-B23, 2010.
-  Y. Kobayashi et al., “Design of a Surgical Robot with Dynamic Vision Field Control for Single Port Endoscopic Surgery,” EMBC, pp. 979-983, 2010.
-  C. Ishii and K. Koyabashi, “Development of a New Bending Mechanism and Its Application to Robotic Forceps Manipulator,” Proc. of the 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 238-243, 2007.
-  K. Xu, R. E. Goldman, J. Ding, P. K. Allen, D. L. Fowler, and N. Simaan, “System Design of an Insertable Robotic Effector Platform for Single Port Access (SPA) Surgery,” Proc. of the 2009 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5546-5552, 2009.
-  J. Marescaux, J. Leory, M. Gagner, F. Rubino, D Mutter, M. Vix, S. E. Butner, and M. K. Smith, “Transatlantic robot-assisted telesurgery,” Nature, Vol.413, pp. 379-380, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.