Sorting System for Recycling of Construction Byproducts with Bayes’ Theorem-Based Robot Vision
Takuya Gokyuu, Satoru Nakamura, Takao Ueno,
Munetaka Nakamura, Daisuke Inoue,
and Yoshitaka Yanagihara
Tokyu Construction co., Ltd., 3062-1 Tana, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 252-0244, Japan
To further the proper and high-quality disposal of construction wastes (construction byproducts) and to improve safety in sorting operations, we have developed a system, which uses robot vision to determine materials based on the Bayes’ theorem, to sort construction byproducts of a wide variety of sizes and shapes that are discharged from building demolition sites. We have conducted, using construction byproducts discharged from actual demolition sites, sorting experiments with the developed sorting system. These experiments have demonstrated sorting accuracies of not less than 60%. These results prove the system’s effectiveness in sorting construction byproducts.
-  V. W. Y. Tam, C. M. Tam, J. K. W. Chan, and W. C. Y. Ng, “Cutting construction wastes by prefabrication,” Int. J. of Construction Management, Vol.6, pp. 15-25, 2006.
-  H. Shent, R. J. Pugh, and E. Forssberg, “A review of plastics waste recycling and the flotation of plastics,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol.25, Issue 2, pp. 85-109, 1999.
-  T. Ueno, Y. Yanagihara, T. Gokyuu, K. Endou, S. Nakamura, T. Omata, H. Ishibashi, and K. Tomita, “Development of the Construction Waste Management System with the use of Next-Generation Manipulator,” IEEE Workshop on Advanced Robotics and its Social Impacts (ARSO), p. 86, 2009.
-  S. Nakamura, T. Gokyuu,Y. Yanagihara, K. Endou, and T. Ueno, “Development of Waste Sorting System in Building Demolition Site,” The 26th Annual Conf. of The Robotics Society of Japan, 2D2-01, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  S. Nakamura, T. Ueno, and T. Gokyuu, “A Construction Waste Sorting System by Image Processing,” The 11th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conference, 10SY0016, pp. 2178-2179, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  C. M. Bishop, “Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning,” Springer, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.