Development of HELIOS IX: An Arm-Equipped Tracked Vehicle
Koji Ueda*1, Michele Guarnieri*2, Takao Inoh*3,
Paulo Debenest*2, Ryuichi Hodoshima*4,
Edwardo F. Fukushima*1, and Shigeo Hirose*1
*1Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
*2Hibot Corporation, Meguro Daiichi Hanatani Bldg. 801, 2-18-3 Shimomeguro, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-0064, Japan
*3Atelier E-N, 1-36-4 Hashikadai, Narita, Chiba, Japan
*4Saitama University, 255 Shimo-Okubo, Sakura-ku, Saitama-shi, Saitama 338-8570, Japan
We have been developing an arm-equipped, tracked vehicle, “HELIOS IX,” for search and rescue tasks in urban environments. HELIOS IX has to be operated by remote control to carry out several tasks, such as the opening of doors, negotiation of stairs, and handling of objects. In this paper, the mechanical design and the system architecture that satisfy the required specifications are described. Through experiments, it is verified that the robot can climb stairs smoothly by using a part of its arm as a sled, and it can open and pass through a door by utilizing the configuration of the vehicle.
Paulo Debenest, Ryuichi Hodoshima,
Edwardo F. Fukushima, and Shigeo Hirose, “Development of HELIOS IX: An Arm-Equipped Tracked Vehicle,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.6, pp. 1031-1040, 2011.
-  W. Lee, S. Kang, M. Kim, and K. Shin, “Rough terrain negotiable mobile platform with passively adaptive double-tracks and its application to rescue missions,” In Robotics and Automation, 2005, ICRA 2005, Proc. of the 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on, pp. 1591-1596. IEEE, 2005.
-  C.Marques, J. Cristóvão, P. Lima, J. Frazao, I. Ribeiro, and R. Ventura, “Raposa: Semi-autonomous robot for rescue operations,” In Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2006 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on, pp. 3988-3993, 2006.
-  D. Helmick, S. Roumeliotis, M. McHenry, and L. Matthies, “Multisensor, high speed autonomous stair climbing,” In Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2002, IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on, Vol.1, pp. 733-742, 2002.
-  Y. Chiu, N. Shiroma, H. Igarashi, N. Sato, M. Inami, and F. Matsuno, “FUMA: environment information gathering wheeled rescue robot with one-DOF arm,” In Safety, Security and Rescue Robotics, Workshop, 2005 IEEE Int., pp. 81-86, 2005.
-  A. Birk, K. Pathak, S. Schwertfeger, and W. Chonnaparamutt, “The IUB Rugbot: an intelligent, rugged mobile robot for search and rescue operations,” In IEEE Int. Workshop on Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics (SSRR), IEEE Press. Citeseer, 2006.
-  K. Jeong, J. Kang, G. Lee, S. Lee, Y. Seo, S. Jung, and S. Kim, “A Remotely Operated Robotic System for Urban Search and Rescue,” In SICE-ICASE, 2006, Int. Joint Conf., pp. 3142-3145, 2006.
-  Y. Hosoda, H. Yamamoto, M. Hattori, H. Sakairi, T. Iwamoto, M. Oowada, A. Kanno, and Y. Saitou, “‘SWAN’: a robot for nuclear disaster prevention support,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.16, No.6, pp. 485-488, 2002.
-  J. Liu, Y.Wang, S. Ma, and B. Li, “Analysis of stairs-climbing ability for a tracked reconfigurable modular robot,” In Safety, Security and Rescue Robotics, Workshop, 2005 IEEE Int., pp. 36-41, 2005.
-  S. Kobayashi, Y. Kobayashi, Y. Yamamoto, T.Watasue, Y. Ohtsubo, T. Inoue, M. Yasuda, and T. Takamori, “Development of a door opening system on rescue robot for search “UMRS-2007”,” In SICE Annual Conference, 2008, pp. 2062-2065, 2008.
-  M. Guarnieri, P. Debenest, T. Inoh, E. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “Helios VII: a new vehicle for disaster response-mechanical design and basic experiments,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.19, No.8, pp. 901-927, 2005.
-  M. Guarnieri, I. Takao, E. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “HELIOS VIII search and rescue robot: Design of an adaptive gripper and system improvements,” In Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1775-1780, 2007.
-  P. Ben-Tzvi, A. Goldenberg, and J. Zu, “Design, simulations and optimization of a tracked mobile robot manipulator with hybrid locomotion and manipulation capabilities,” In Robotics and Automation, 2008, ICRA 2008, IEEE Int. Conf. on, pp. 2307-2312, 2008.
-  M. Guarnieri, R. Kurazume, H. Masuda, T. Inoh, K. Takita, P. Debenest, R. Hodoshima, E. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “HELIOS system: A team of tracked robots for special urban search and rescue operations,” In Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2009, IROS 2009, pp. 2795- 2800, 2009.
-  M. Guarnieri, P. Debenest, T. Inoh, K. Takita, H. Masuda, R. Kurazume, E. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “HELIOS carrier: Taillike mechanism and control algorithm for stable motion in unknown environments,” In Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1851-1856, 2009.
-  M. Ogata and S. Hirose, “Study on Ankle Mechanism for Walking Robots - Development of 2 D.O.F. Coupled Drive Ankle Mechanism -,” In Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.4, pp. 3201-3206, 2004.
-  S. Hirose, H. Tsukagoshi, and K. Yoneda, “Normalized energy stability margin and its contour of walking vehicles on rough terrain,” In Robotics and Automation, 2001, Proc. 2001 ICRA, IEEE Int. Conf. on, Vol.1, pp. 181-186, 2001.
-  K. Ueda, M. Guarnieri, R. Hodoshima, E. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “Improvement of the remote operability for the arm-equipped tracked vehicle HELIOS IX,” In Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2010 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on, pp. 363-369. IEEE, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.