Motion-Based-Design of Elastic Material for Passive Assistive Device Using Musculoskeletal Model
Yumeko Imamura*1, Takayuki Tanaka*1, Yoshihito Suzuki*2,
Kazuki Takizawa*3, and Masanori Yamanaka*4
*1Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, N14-W9, Kita-ku, Sapporo 060-0814, Japan
*2Smart Support Technologies Inc., N21-W12, Kitaku, Sapporo 060-0821, Japan
*3Institute for the Advancement of Higher Education, Hokkaido University, N17-W8, Kitaku, Sapporo 060-0817, Japan
*4Graduate School of Health Science, Hokkaido University, N12-W5, Kitaku, Sapporo 060-0812, Japan
We are developing a passive power assist device, “Smart Suit Lite.” Smart Suit Lite is a compact, lightweight power assist device that utilizes the elastomeric force of elastic materials. We have developed a “motion-based assist method” in order to design Smart Suit Lite for particular motions. We have also developed an extended musculoskeletal model which has “Skin segments” that aid in analyzing assistive force. In this paper, we target the movements of caregivers. From three-dimensional motion data and an extended musculoskeletal model, we analyze human muscle forces and assistive forces. We then design the arrangement and properties of the elastic materials, based on the motion-based assist method. Finally, we verify its assistance effect through basic experiments.
Kazuki Takizawa, and Masanori Yamanaka, “Motion-Based-Design of Elastic Material for Passive Assistive Device Using Musculoskeletal Model,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.6, pp. 978-990, 2011.
-  A. Minematsu, “Low Back Pain in CareWorkers,” Japanese J. of occupational medicine and traumatology, Vol.52, No.3, pp. 166-169, 2004.
-  H. Riihimaki, “Low-back pain, its origin and risk indicators,” Scand J. Work Environ Health, Vol.17, pp. 81-90, 1991.
-  Y. Kokubo, Y. Maesawa, N. Furusawa, K. Utida, and H. Baba, “Management and prevention of low back pain in nursing personals,” The J. of Japanese Society of Lumbar Spine Disorders, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 52-55, 2000.
-  K. Suzuki, G. Mito, H. Kawamoto, Y. Hasegawa, and Y. Sankai, “Intention-Based Walking Support for Paraplegia Patients with Robot Suit HAL,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.21, No.12, pp. 1441-1469, 2007.
-  K. Yamamoto, M. Ishii, K. Hyodo, T. Yoshimitsu, and T. Matsu, “Development of Power Assisting Suit,” JSME Int. J. Series C, Vol.46, No.3, pp. 923-930, 2003.
-  H. Kobayashi, A. Uchimura, and T. Shiiba, “Development of muscle suit for upper body,” Proc. of Intelligent Robots and Systems 2003, Vol.3, pp. 3624-3629, 2003.
-  N. Yamazaki and N. Takahashi, “Suit-type Back Muscle Supporter Utilizing Body Surface Deformation During Care Motions,” Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Vol.17, pp. 235-244, 2004.
-  T. Okazaki and H. Yokoi, “The Approach of Arrangement Decision Problem of Highly-Elastic Fabric for Motion Support,” Proc. of the 27th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 1C3-05(DVDROM), 2009.
-  K. Imado, H. Ikeuchi, A. Miura, T. Ito, and K. Onishi, “Development of a Simple Supporter for Reducing Lower Back Exertion,” Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Vol.18, pp. 79-88, 2006.
-  D. Maeda, S. Yoshinari, Y. Nakajima, and K. Kuwano, “Development of assistive technology to reduce physical burden of agricultural workers,” 21th Bioengineering Lecture meeting 2008, pp. 409-410, 2009.
-  T. Tanaka, Y. Imamura, M. Yamanaka, Y. Suzuki, and M. Saito, “Passive Power Assist Device Considering With Stabilization of Torso,” Proc. of Symposium of Engineering Assisted Human Life 2009, 1G3-2(CD-ROM), 2009.
-  G. Obinata, T. Iwami, M. Sasaki, H. Miura, and K. Miyawaki, “Model Based Approaches for Wheelchair Propulsion,” J. of the Japan Society for Simulation Technology, Vol.241, pp. 23-31, 2005.
-  Y. Imamura, T. Tanaka, S. Kaneko, M. Yamanaka, Y. Suzuki, and M. Saito, “Design of Smart Suit for Snow Shoveling Based on Motion Based Assist Method,” JSME annual meeting 2009, Vol.7, pp. 287-288, 2009.
-  T. Kizuka, T. Masuda, T. Kiryu, and T. Sadoyama, “Practical Usage of Surface Electromyogram,” Tokyo denki university press, 2006.
-  S. Kumar and A. Mital, “Electromyogram in Ergonomics,” Taylor & Francis, 1996.
-  H. Arakawa, T. Nakamura, Y. Umezu, and K. Hachisuka, “Spectral Electromyographic Fatigue Analysis of Back Muscles in Healthy Female during Trunk Holding Test,” The Japanese J. of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.37, No.10, pp. 676-678, 2000.
-  A. L. Nachernson, “The lumbar spine: an orthopedie challenge,” Spine, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 59-71, 1976.
-  S. L. Delp and J. P. Loan, “A graphics-based software system to develop and analyze models of musculoskeletal structures,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, Vol.25, No.1, pp. 21-34, 1995.
-  G. Borg, “Perceived exertion: a note on “history” and methods,” Medicine & Science IN Sports & Exercise, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 90-93, 1973.
-  K. Onodera and M. Miyashita, “A Study on Japanese Scale for Rating of Perceived Exertion in Endurance Exercise,” Japanese Society of Physical Education, Vol.21, No.4, 191-203, 1976.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.