Development of Whole-Body Emotional Expression Humanoid Robot for ADL-Assistive RT Services
Nobutsuna Endo* and Atsuo Takanishi**,***
*Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Waseda University, 3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
**Faculty of Science and Engineering, Waseda University, Japan
***Humanoid Robotics Institute, Waseda University, Japan
Personal robots and Robot Technology (RT)-based assistive devices are expected to play a substantial role in our society largely populated by the elderly; they will play an active role in joint works and community life with humans. In particular, these robots are expected to play an important role in the assistance of the elderly and disabled people during normal Activities of Daily Living (ADLs). To achieve this result, personal robots should better be capable of making emotional expressions like human. In this perspective we developed a whole body bipedal humanoid robot named KOBIAN that is capable of expressing humanlike emotions. In this paper we present the development and evaluations of KOBIAN.
-  OECD, “Population statistics,” Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, 2004.
-  NIPS, “Population statistics of Japan 2003,” National Institute of Population and Social Security Research, Hibiya Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 2003.
-  N. Endo, S. Momoki, M. Zecca, M. Saito, Y. Mizoguchi, K. Itoh, and A. Takanishi, “Development of Whole-body Emotion Expression Humanoid Robot,” Proc. of the 2008 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2008), pp. 2140-2145, Pasadena, USA, May 2008.
-  Y. Ogura, H. Aikawa, K. Shimomura, H. Kondo, A. Morishima, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Development of a new humanoid robot WABIAN-2,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 76-81, 2006.
-  A. Mehrabian, “Communication without words,” Psychology Today, pp. 53-56, 1968.
-  P. Ekman, “Universals and cultural differences in facial expressions of emotion,” In J. Cole (Ed.), Nebraska Symposium on Motivation, Vol.19, pp. 207-282, Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1971.
-  P. Ekman and W. V. Friesen, “Constants across cultures in the face and emotion,” J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.17, pp. 124-129, 1971.
-  T. Minato, M. Shimada, H. Ishiguro, and S. Itakura, “Development of an Android Robot for Studying Human-Robot Interaction,” Proc. of IEA/AIE’2004 Proc. of the 17th Int. Conf. on Innovations in applied artificial intelligence, pp. 424-434, 2004.
-  T. Hashimoto, S. Hitramatsu, T. Tsuji, and H. Kobayashi, “Development of the Face Robot SAYA for Rich Facial Expressions,” SICEICASE Int. Joint Conf., pp. 5423-5428, 2006.
-  M. Mori, “Bukimi no tani [The Uncanny Valley],” Energy, Vol.7, pp. 33-35, 1970 (originally in Japanese).
-  H. Miwa et al., “Development of a new human-like head robotWE-4,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and System (IROS 2002), Vol.3, pp. 2443-2448, 2002.
-  M. Zecca, K. Endo, N. Endo, Y. Mizoguchi, T. Kusano, K. Itoh, and A. Takanishi, “Design and Evaluation of The Soft HandWSH-1 For The Emotion Expression Humanoid Robot KOBIAN,” Proc. of the 6th Int. Conf. of the International Society for Gerontechnology (ISG 2008), Pisa, Italy, June 2008.
-  N. Endo, F. Iida, K. Endo, Y. Mizoguchi, M. Zecca, and A. Takanishi, “Development of the Anthropomorphic Soft Robotic Hand WSH-1R,” Proc. of the First IFToMM Asian Conf. on Mechanism and Machine Science (Asian-MMS 2010), 250162, Taipei, Taiwan, October 2010.
-  T. Kojima, K. Endo, N. Endo, F. Iida, K. Hashimoto, and A. Takanishi, “Design and Development of Anthropomorphic Soft Robot Hand - Implementation of Grip Control and Evaluation of Impression by Grip Strength -,” Proc. of the 28th Annual Conf. of the Robotic Society of Japan (RSJ 2010), Vol.102, No.2, Kobe, Japan, September 2010 (in Japanese).
-  H. Miwa, K. Itoh, M. Matsumoto, M. Zecca, H. Takanobu, S. Roccella, M. C. Carrozza, P. Dario, and A. Takanishi, “Effective Emotional Expressions with Emotion Expression Humanoid RobotWE-4RII - Integration of Humanoid Robot Hand RCH-1 -,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robot and Systems, pp. 2203-2208, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.