Development of Production Robot System that can Assemble Products with Cable and Connector
Rintaro Haraguchi*1, Yukiyasu Domae*1, Koji Shiratsuchi*1,
Yasuo Kitaaki*1, Haruhisa Okuda*1, Akio Noda*1,
Kazuhiko Sumi*2, Takayuki Matsuno*3, Shun’ichi Kaneko*4,
and Toshio Fukuda*5
*1Advanced Technology R&D Center, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, 8-1-1 Tsukaguchi-Honnmachi Amagasaki, Hyogo 661-8661, Japan
*2Aoyama Gakuin University, Japan
*3Toyama Prefectural University, Japan
*4Hokkaido University, Japan
*5Nagoya University, Japan
To realize automatic robot-based electrical and electronic product assembly, we developed the handling of cables with connectors – flexible goods which are an obstacle to automation. The element technologies we developed include 3D vision sensing for cable extraction, force control for connector insertion, error recovery for improving system stability, and task-level programming for quick system start-up. We assembled FA control equipment to verify the feasibility of our developments.
Yasuo Kitaaki, Haruhisa Okuda, Akio Noda,
Kazuhiko Sumi, Takayuki Matsuno, Shun’ichi Kaneko, and
and Toshio Fukuda, “Development of Production Robot System that can Assemble Products with Cable and Connector,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.6, pp. 939-950, 2011.
-  Nikkei Monozukuri, Vol.5, pp. 54-59, Nikkei Business Publications, Inc. Co., 2008 (in Japanese).
-  IE Review 242, Vol.46, No.4, pp. 6-12, The Japan Institute of Industrial Engineering, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Domae, H. Okuda, Y. kitaaki, Y. Kimura, H. Takauji, K. Sumi, and S. Kaneko, “3-D Sensing for Flexible Linear Object Alignment in Robot Cell Production System,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 100-111, 2010.
-  Y. Kimura, H. Takauji, S. Kaneko, Y. Domae, and H. Okuda, “Shape Recognition of Flexible Cables by Outer Edge FCM Clustering,” 16th Japan-Korea Joint Workshop on Frontiers of Computer Vision (FCV2011), OT-2-1063, 2011.
-  S. Hirose and K. Yoneda, “Development of Optical 6-Axial Force Sensor and Its Non-Linear Calibration,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.8, No.5, pp. 19-28, 1990.
-  P. Loborg, “Error recovery in automation: an overview,” In AAAI 94 Spring Symposium on Detecting and Resolving Errors in Manufacturing Systems, pp. 94-100, 1994.
-  J. Huang, T. Fukuda, and T. Matsuno, “Model-based intelligent detection and diagnosis for mating electric connectors in robotic wiring harness assembly systems,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 86-94, 2008.
-  J. Huang, T. Fukuda, and T. Matsuno, “Modeling for mating process of electric connectors in robotic wiring harness assembly systems,” Proc. of the 33rd Annual Conf. of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON), pp. 2829-2834, Nov. 5-8, 2007.
-  P. Di, J. Huang, T. Fukuda, et al., “Hybrid vision-force guided fault tolerant robotic assembly for electric connectors,” Proc. of 2009 Int. symposium on micro-nano mechatronics and human science, pp. 86-91, 2009.
-  J. Huang, P. Di, T. Fukuda, and T. Matsuno, “Robust Modelbased Online Fault Detection forMating Process of Electric Connectors in Robotic Wiring Harness Assembly Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.18, Issue 5, pp. 1207-1215, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.