Cooperation Between a High-Power Robot and a Human by Functional Safety
Masahiro Morioka*, Satoshi Adachi*, Shinsuke Sakakibara*,
Jeffrey Too Chuan Tan**, Ryu Kato***, and Tamio Arai**
*FANUC CORPORATION, Oshino-mura, Yamanashi 401-0597, Japan
**The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
***The University of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu-shi, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
-  S. Seki, “One by One Production in the ‘Digital Yatai’ - Practical Use of 3D - CAD Data in the Fabrication,” J. Japan Soc. Mechanical Engineering, Vol.106, No.1013, pp. 32-36, 2003.
-  ISO10218, “Manipulating industrial robots - Safety,” 1992.
-  ISO10218-1, “Robots for industrial environments - Safety requirements - Part 1: Robot,” 2006.
-  J. Krüger, B. Nickolay, P. Heyer, and G. Seliger, “Image based 3D Survaillance for flexible Man-Robot-Cooperation,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.54, pp. 13-23, 2005.
-  B. Winkler, “Safe Space Sharing Human-Robot Cooperation Using a 3D Time-of-Flight Camera,” In: Robotic Industries Association: Int. Robots & Vision Show: Technical Conference Proc., June 12-14, 2007.
-  H. Kazerooni, “Human robot interaction via the transfer of power and information signals,” IEEE Trans. on SMC, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 450-463, 1990.
-  T. Takubo, H. Arai, Y. Hayashibara, and K. Tanie, “Human-Robot Cooperative Manipulation Using a Virtual Nonholonomic Constraint,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 541-553, 2002.
-  H. Konosu, I. Araki, and Y. Yamada, “Practical Development of Skill-Assist,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 508-514, 2004.
-  H. Murayama, N. Takesue, K. Matsumoto, H. Konosu, and H. Fujimoto, “Development of a Car Window Installation Assist Robot,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.28, No5, pp. 624-630, 2010.
-  Y. Akamatsu and T. Nakamira, “Development of Manipulator with Flexible Joint Using Smart Fluid,” Proc. of the Japan Fluid Power System Society, pp. 25-27, May 2006.
-  H. Ikeda and T. Saito, “Proposal of Inherently Safe Design Method and Safe Design Indexes for Human-collaborative Robots,” Specific Research Reports of the National Institute of Industrial Safety, NIIS-SRR-NO.33, pp. 5-13, 2005.
-  ISO/TR14121-2, “Safety of machinery - Risk assessment - Part 2: Practical guidance and examples of methods,” 2007.
-  ISO13849-1, “Safety of machinery - Safety-related parts of control systems - Part 1: General principles for design,” 2006.
-  T. Saito and H. Ikeda, “Measurement of Human Pain Tolerance to Mechanical Stimulus of Human collaborative Robots,” Specific Research Reports of the National Institute of Industrial Safety, NI-ISSRR-NO.33, pp. 15-23, 2005.
-  “BG/BGIA risk assessment recommendations according to machinery directive - Design of workplaces with collaborative robots,” U 001/2009e October 2009 edition, 2009.
-  ISO13854, “Safety of machinery - Minimum gaps to avoid crushing of parts of the human body,” 1996.
-  T. Arai, R. Kato and M. Fujita, “Assessment of operator stress induced by robot collaboration in assembly,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, Issue 1, pp, 5-8, 2010.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] http://www.abb.com/product/seitp327/ec6cfad87f69dd2dc12572d300775f5b.aspx
-  [b] http://www.pilz.com/products/sensors/camera/f/safetyeye/index.jsp.
-  [c] http://nextage.kawada.jp/
-  [d] http://www.keyence.co.jp/switch/safety/sz/
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.