Education Method of Robotics with Jigsaw Method by Using RT Component
Yasuo Hayashibara*, Shinya Kotosaka**, Naomi Miyake***,
and Tomomasa Sato***
*Chiba Institute of Technology, 2-17-1 Tsudanuma, Narashino, Chiba 275-0016, Japan
**Saitama University, 255, Shimo-Okubo, Sakura-ku, Saitama 338-8570, Japan
***The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan
This paper introduces an educationmethod of robotics with the jigsaw method by using the RT component. Robotics contains many areas of technologies, such as mechanism, electronics, and computer programming. Therefore, it may be a desirable academic discipline for studying current complex technologies. For studying robotics efficiently, we propose an education method of robotics based on the jigsaw method. The jigsaw method is an efficient method to induce collaborative learning. We apply the jigsaw method to practical training of controlling a real mobile robot. We design an education program according to the method and develop its educational tool. Our developed educational tool is portable and simple to use. It just consists of a small mobile robot, a range sensor, circuit boards, and a personal computer. The mobile robot is controlled through USB. Moreover, students make program by using RT component. The RT component is a standard software component in the field of robotics. By using the RT component, they can skip to creating programs to drive hardware. We executed an experimental lecture according to the educational program. Through the experiment, we discuss the effectiveness of the proposed method.
-  J. Bransford, A. Brown, and R. Cocking, “How people learn: Brain, mind, experience, and school,” Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2000.
-  N.Miyake, and H. Shirouzu, A collaborative approach to teach cognitive science to undergraduates: The learning sciences as a means to study and enhance college student learning’ Psychologia, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 101-113, 2006.
-  N. Miyake, Conceptual change through collaboration, In S. Vosniadou (Ed.), Handbook of research on conceptual change, London, Taylor & Francis Group, 2008.
-  N. Miyake, “Collaborative Learning,” Y. Saeki, S. Watabe, A Companion to the Cognitive Science of Learning, Taishukan Publishing Co., Ltd., pp. 459-478, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  N.Miyake, “Collaboration for putting knowledge to use,” In Kawai-Juku (Ed.), Reasons for college students to intellectually grow through their first and second year education, Toshindo, pp. 229-247, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  E. Takahashi and Y. Hayashibara, “Proposal of a Mobile Robot Utilizing Resources,” Proc. of JSME Robotics and Mechatronics Conf. 2011, 1P1-G20, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K. Kitagaki, T. Kotoku, W.-K. Yoon, “RTMiddleware: Distributed Component Middleware for RT (Robot Technology),” 2005 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2005), pp. 3555-3560, 2005.
and Tomomasa Sato, “Education Method of Robotics with Jigsaw Method by Using RT Component,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.5, pp. 830-839, 2011
and Tomomasa Sato, J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.5, pp. 830-839, 2011
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.