Design Education Using Personal Mobile Robot
Yoshiyuki Takahashi*, Motoki Takagi**, and Ikuo Yoneda*
*Department of Human Environment Design, Faculty of Human Life Design, Toyo University, 48-1 Oka, Asaka-shi, Saitama 351-8510, Japan
**Nagoya Institute of Technology, Gokiso-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466-8555, Japan
In this study, we describe an educational program of robotics in the course of the department of design. Most target students are uninterested in robotics and have no background with advanced mathematics and physics. Then, we try to expand experience-based learning by using a real robot. The non-science students in the university build an actual working robot and this interests them. The robot is a mobile robot that is designed to carry the objects instead of the user. Students did machining and assembling of mechanical and electrical parts and then built the mobile robot. After the course, 84% students scored more than average.
-  K. Sato, “Robot Development Classroom of Elementary School for Enhancing the Creative Skill,” IPSJ SIG, Technical Report, 2009-CE-98, No.16, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  H. Gho et al., “Using Robotics in Education: Lessons Learned and Learning Experiences,” 1st Int. Malaysian Educational Technology Convention, pp. 1156-1163, 2007.
-  Y. Kawarada, “Development of Robotics materials to improve thinking ability and creativity,” J. of the Faculty of Education and Human Sciences, Yokohama National University, The natural sciences, Vol.10, pp. 27-38, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  C. Cardeira et al., “A Low Cost Mobile Robot for Engineering Education,” Industrial Electronics Society, 2005, IECON 2005, 31st Annual Conf. of IEEE, 2005.
-  S. Kato et al., “Programming Exercises for Problem Solving Learning with a LEGO Robot and Game Subjects – An Educational Practice for High School Students with Pre-lecture and Oral Reporting –,” SIG Technical Reports, 2010-CE-105, Vol.5, pp. 1-10, 2010.
-  J. F. Lalonde et al., “Mobile robot programming in education,” Robotics and Automation, 2006. ICRA 2006. Proc. 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on, pp. 345-350, 2006.
-  F. Mondada et al., “The e-puck, a Robot Designed for Education in Engineering,” Proc. of the 9th Conf. on Autonomous Robot Systems and Competitions, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 59-65, 2009.
-  H. Niimi et al., “The Robotics Education in Department of System Design of College of Industrial Technology,” Proc. of Int. Symposium on Scheduling 2009, pp. 236-237, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  I. R. Nourbakhsh et al., “The Robotic Autonomy Mobile Robotics Course: Robot Design, Curriculum Design and Educational Assessment,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.18, pp. 103-127, 2005.
-  M. Mizukawa et al., “Development and Evaluation of the Robotics Educational Material for Engineering Training in the Undergraduate School,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 10-15, 2006 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.