A Unified and Integrated Approach to Teaching a Two-Course Sequence in Robotics Engineering
Taskin Padir, Gregory S. Fischer, Sonia Chernova,
and Michael A. Gennert
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 100 Institute Rd., Worcester, MA 01609, USA
-  UNESCO Report, “Engineering: Issues, Challenges and Opportunities for Development,” 2010.
-  “IFR World Robotics 2008: 6.5 million robots in operation worldwide,” Industrial Robot: An International Journal, Vol.36 Issue 4, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2007.
-  “Service Robotics: A Global Market Report,” Global Industry Analysts, 2010.
-  “Personal Robotics: Task, Security and Surveillance/Telepresence, Entertainment, Education Robots and Components,” ABI Research, 2010.
-  “A Roadmap for US Robotics: From Internet to Robotics,” Computing Community Consortium, 2009.
-  NSF National Science Board, “Moving Forward to Improve Engineering Education,” 2007.
-  Innovate America, “Council on Competitiveness National Innovation Initiative Summit and Report,” 2005.
-  National Academy of Engineering, “Educating the Engineer of 2020: Adapting Engineering Education to the New Century,” 2005.
-  D. Q. Nguyen, “The Essential Skills and Attributes of an Engineer: A Comparative Study of Academics, Industry Personnel and Engineering Students,” Global J. of Engineering Education, Vol.2, No.1, 1998.
-  J. A. Piepmeier, B. E. Bishop, and K. A. Knowles “Modern Robotics Engineering Instruction,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol.10, No.2, p. 33, 2003.
-  D. J. Ahlgren, “Meeting Educational Objectives and Outcomes Through Robotics Education,” Proc. of the 5th Biannual World Automation Congress, 2002.
-  C.,Kitts and N. Quinn , “An interdisciplinary field robotics program for undergraduate computer science and engineering education,” J. Educ. Resour. Comput., June 2004.
-  M. J. Mataric, “Robotics Education for All Ages,” Proc. AAAI Spring Symposium on Accessible, Hands-on AI and Robotics Education, 2004.
-  G. T. McKee, “The Robotics Body of Knowledge,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 18-19, 2007.
-  M. Mizukawa, “The Activity of Robotics and Mechatronics Division in the JSME,” The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.12, No.2, December, 2001.
-  T. Padir, M. A. Gennert, G. Fischer, W. R. Michalson, and E. C. Cobb, “Implementation of an Undergraduate Robotics Engineering Curriculum,” ASEE Computers in Education J., Special Issue on Novel Approaches to Robotics Education, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 92-101, 2010.
-  K. C. Cohen, “The WPI Plan: Promise and Realty,” The J. of General Education, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 105-112, 1977.
-  G. Fischer, W.R.Michalson, T. Padir, and G. Pollice, “Development of a Laboratory Kit for Robotics Engineering Education,” Proc. AAAI 2010 Spring Symposium on Educational Robotics and Beyond: Design and Evaluation, Mar. 22-24, Palo Alto, CA, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.