Practice of School Education Using Micro Robots and Verification of its Effectiveness
Daigo Misaki and Koichi Arai
Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Kogakuin University, 1-24-2 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 163-8677, Japan
This paper is to report on the practice of school education using robots and verification of its effectiveness held on the subject of “assembly of robots with off-theshelf commodities” which is mainly intended for elementary and middle school pupils. Use of micro robots as teaching material in the classroom gave a great number of pupils more opportunities to touch robots and find fun in robots. In addition, questionnaire surveys conducted on incumbent teachers who attended the lecture at Kogakuin University have proved it very useful to analyze educational robots which meet the needs in the field of education.
-  “Case studies of the SCOT programs,” Center for Promotion of Science Education, Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST), 2008 (in Japanese).
-  “Case studies of the SPP programs,” Center for Promotion of Science Education, Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST), 2010 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kiida, “Complete guide for robot kit,” Ohmsha, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Mizutani and M. Iwamoto, “Possibility of Education which relates to Mechatronics in Elementary School,” IEICE technical report, Education technology, Vol.107, No.155, pp. 35-38, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  Center for Promotion of Science Education, Japan Science & Technology Agency, “Survey of junior high school science teacher in 2008,” Sept. 2008 (in Japanese).
-  Small Machines, “Large Opportunities: A Report on the Emerging Field of Microdynamics,” Report of the NSF Workshop on Microelectromechanical Systems Research, Washington, DC, K. Gabriel et al. (Eds.), 1988.
-  “Handbook of micro machine technology,” pp. 710-721, 2003.
-  K. Ioi and A. Murakami, “Study on Turning Motion Mechanism of Micro Robot accompanied with Cyclic Force,” JRSJ Vol.19, No.1, pp. 142-148, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  A. Himoto, H. Aoyama, O. Fuchiwaki, D. Misaki, and T. Sumrall, “Development of micro rescue robot – human detection,” 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics, pp. 526-631, 2005.
-  D. Misaki, S. Kayano, Y. Wakikaido, O. Fuchiwaki, and H. Aoyama, “Precise Automatic Guiding and Positioning of Micro robots with a Fine Tool for Microscopic Operations,” Proc. of 2004 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent, Robots and Systems, pp. 210-223, 2004.
-  “International Micro-Mechanism Contest,” J. Jpn. Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol.76, No.12, pp. K12 3-K12 6, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Isogawa, “LEGO MINDSTOMS NXT orange books,” Mainichi communications, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  Robo Center, “Lego Mindstorms education NXT kit,” 2006 (in Japanese).
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.