Flexible Discovery of Components for Sensor Data Processing by RDF in Network Middleware for Home Environment
Hiroshi Noguchi, Taketoshi Mori, and Tomomasa Sato
The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
This paper discusses the discovery mechanism of program components based on knowledge descriptions of home sensors in network middleware. Descriptions are written in Resource Description Framework (RDF). RDF descriptions are easily appended to new information and connected to other knowledge. Developers and programs search appropriate program components based on knowledge such as sensor properties in the middleware. We prepared knowledge on sensor-embedded objects and constructed program components for an occupant’s location estimation and a context-aware application. Experiments show the feasibility of flexible discovery for heterogeneous program components using RDF-based description.
-  W. K. Edwards and R. E. Grinter, “At Home with Ubiquitous Computing: Seven Challenges,” In Ubicomp2001, LNCS 2201, pp. 256-272, 2001.
-  M. Assad, D. J. Carmichael, J. Kay, and B. Kummerfeld, “PersonisAD: Distributed, Active, Scrutable Model Framework for Context-Aware Services,” In Pervasive 2007, pp. 55-72, 2007.
-  G. Biegel and V. Cahill, “A Framework for Developing Mobile, Context-Aware Application,” In the Second IEEE Annual Conf. on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PERCOM’04), pp. 361-365, 2004.
-  M. Coen, B. Phillips, N. Warshawsky, L. Weisman, S. Peters, and P. Finin, “Meeting the Computational Needs of Intelligent Environments: The Metaglue System,” In Proc. of MANSE ’99, pp. 201-212, Dublin, Ireland, 1999.
-  A. K. Dey, G. D. Abowd, and D. Salber, “A Conceptual Framework and a Toolkit for Supporting the Rapid Prototyping of Context-Aware Applications,” Human Computer Interaction, Vol.16, pp. 97-166, 2001.
-  H. Noguchi, T. Mori, and T. Sato, “Scriptless Connection of Sensor Data Processing Components in Network Middleware for Home Environment,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.22, pp. 613-632, 2008.
-  S. R. Ponnekanti, B. Johanson, E. Kiciman, and A. Fox, “Portability, Extensibility and Robustness in iROS,” In IEEE Int. Conf. on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom), pp. 11-19, 2003.
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K. Kitagaki, T. Kotoku, and W.-K. Yoon, “RTMiddleware: Distributed Component Middleware for RT (Robot Technology),” In Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3555-3560, 2005.
-  M. Quigley, K. Conley, B. Gerkey, J. Faust, T. B. Foote, J. Leibs, R. Wheeler, and A. Y. Ng, “ROS: an open-source Robot Operating System,” in Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation Workshop on Open-Source Software, 2009.
-  T. Sasaki, D. Brscic, and H. Hashimoto, “Implementation of Distributed Sensor Network for Intelligent Space,” In Int. Conf. on Mechatronics, pp. 1-6, 2007.
-  K. Vanthournout, G. Deconinck, and R. Belmans, “A Taxonomy for Resource Discovery,” Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 81-89, 2005.
-  O. Lassila and R. R. Swick, “Resource Description Framework (RDF) Model and Syntax Specification,” World Wide Web Consortium Recommendation, 1999.
-  T. Gu, H. K. Pung, and D. Q. Zhang, “A service-oriented middleware for building context-aware services,” J. of Network and Computer Applications, Vol.28, pp. 1-18, 2005.
-  X.Wang, J. S. Dong, C. Y. Chin, S. R. Hettiarachchi, and D. Zhang, “Semantic Space: An Infrastructure for Smart Spaces,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 32-39, 2004.
-  H. Chen, T. Finin, and A. Joshi, “An Ontology for Context-Aware Pervasive Computing Environments,” The Knowledge Engineering Review, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 197-207, 2003.
-  Y.-G. Ha, J.-C. Sohn, and Y.-J. Cho, “Service-Oriented Integration of Networked Robots with Ubiquitous Sensors and Devices Using the Semantic Web Service Technology,” In Proc. of Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 413-418, 2005.
-  T. Berners-Lee, J. Hendler, and O. Lassila, “The Semantic Web,” Scientific American, pp. 28-37, 2001.
-  S. Bechhofer, F. Harmelen, J. Hendler, I. Horrocks, D. L. McGuinness, P. F. Patel-Schenider, and L. A. Stein, “OWL WEB Ontology Language Reference,” WorldWideWeb Consortium Recommendation, 2004.
-  E. Prud’hommeaux and A. Seaborne, “SPARQL Query Language for RDF,” World Wide Web Consortium Recommendation, 2005.
-  B. Logan, J. Healey, M. Philipose, E. M. Tapia, and S. Intille, “A Long-Term Evaluation of Sensing Modalities for Activity Recognition,” In UbiComp 2007, pp. 483-500, 2007.
-  T. Mori, H. Noguchi, A. Takada, and T. Sato, “Sensing Room Environment: Distributed Sensor Space for Measurement of Human Daily Behavior,” Trans. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.E-S-1, No.1, pp. 97-103, 2006.
-  H. Noguchi, T. Mori, and T. Sato, “Automatic Generation and Connection of Program Components based on RDF Sensor Description in Network Middleware,” In the 2006 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Systems (IROS’06), pp. 2008-2014, October 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.